To AlphaPC 164SX owners - Linux

This is a discussion on To AlphaPC 164SX owners - Linux ; Gang, I would like to know if there are Linux apps taking advantages of the 21164PC chip (for example the MVI extensions) and if there's a big difference with a stock 21164. Is the smaller 1MB L3 cache a drawback ...

  1. To AlphaPC 164SX owners

    Gang,

    I would like to know if there are Linux apps taking advantages of the
    21164PC chip (for example the MVI extensions) and if there's a big
    difference with a stock 21164. Is the smaller 1MB L3 cache a drawback
    compared to 2MB L3 cache on other PC164 motherboards (164LX, 164UX)?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: To AlphaPC 164SX owners

    "Emeric Maschino" writes:

    > I would like to know if there are Linux apps taking advantages of
    > the 21164PC chip (for example the MVI extensions)

    Some mpeg players do. It does not help a lot for playing, and helps
    moderately for encoding. Other than that, I don't think anything uses
    MVI.

    > Is the smaller 1MB L3 cache a drawback compared to 2MB L3 cache on
    > other PC164 motherboards (164LX, 164UX)?

    I'm pretty sure it is. Of course it depends on the application, but I
    wouldn't be surprised if for example MPEG playing is still faster on
    an 164LX even without MVI.

    --
    Falk

  3. Re: To AlphaPC 164SX owners

    Falk Hueffner writes:

    >> I would like to know if there are Linux apps taking advantages of
    >> the 21164PC chip (for example the MVI extensions)

    > Some mpeg players do. It does not help a lot for playing, and helps
    > moderately for encoding. Other than that, I don't think anything uses
    > MVI.

    More specifically, any player using ffmpeg or libmpeg2.

    >> Is the smaller 1MB L3 cache a drawback compared to 2MB L3 cache on
    >> other PC164 motherboards (164LX, 164UX)?

    First off, the pca56 doesn't have any on-chip L2 cache, so SX164
    machines have two levels of cache. The ev56 has 96 kB on-chip L2
    cache, and many boards have off-chip L3 cache.

    > I'm pretty sure it is. Of course it depends on the application, but I
    > wouldn't be surprised if for example MPEG playing is still faster on
    > an 164LX even without MVI.

    I did some testing some time ago on my Miata, with and without 2 MB
    L3. The differences were surprisingly small, maybe a couple of
    percent for MPEG4 encoding. I don't have a pca56 and an ev56 running
    at the same frequency, so it's hard for me to do any good comparisons
    between them.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  4. Re: To AlphaPC 164SX owners

    Sorry to revive a dead thread but this MPEG 4 codec, is this software
    based?? Where did you come across it?? What about other codec, DIVX,
    MPEG2, AVI stuff, etc??

    I've got a piar of LX164s and would love to be able to rencode movies on
    them.

    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > Falk Hueffner writes:
    >

    >>>I would like to know if there are Linux apps taking advantages of
    >>>the 21164PC chip (for example the MVI extensions)

    >>Some mpeg players do. It does not help a lot for playing, and helps
    >>moderately for encoding. Other than that, I don't think anything uses
    >>MVI.

    > More specifically, any player using ffmpeg or libmpeg2.
    >

    >>>Is the smaller 1MB L3 cache a drawback compared to 2MB L3 cache on
    >>>other PC164 motherboards (164LX, 164UX)?

    > First off, the pca56 doesn't have any on-chip L2 cache, so SX164
    > machines have two levels of cache. The ev56 has 96 kB on-chip L2
    > cache, and many boards have off-chip L3 cache.
    >

    >>I'm pretty sure it is. Of course it depends on the application, but I
    >>wouldn't be surprised if for example MPEG playing is still faster on
    >>an 164LX even without MVI.

    > I did some testing some time ago on my Miata, with and without 2 MB
    > L3. The differences were surprisingly small, maybe a couple of
    > percent for MPEG4 encoding. I don't have a pca56 and an ev56 running
    > at the same frequency, so it's hard for me to do any good comparisons
    > between them.

  5. Re: To AlphaPC 164SX owners

    "masspc@frontiernet.net" writes:

    > Sorry to revive a dead thread but this MPEG 4 codec, is this software
    > based?? Where did you come across it?? What about other codec, DIVX,
    > MPEG2, AVI stuff, etc??
    >
    > I've got a piar of LX164s and would love to be able to rencode movies
    > on them.

    http://ffmpeg.sf.net Most codecs you'd ever want to use
    http://libmpeg2.sf.net Fast MPEG2 decoder

    http://tcvp.sf.net Some software to tie it all together, partly
    developed on Alpha systems.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  6. Re: To AlphaPC 164SX owners

    Awesome, thanks.

    Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > http://ffmpeg.sf.net Most codecs you'd ever want to use
    > http://libmpeg2.sf.net Fast MPEG2 decoder
    >
    > http://tcvp.sf.net Some software to tie it all together, partly
    > developed on Alpha systems.

  7. Re: To AlphaPC 164SX owners

    Emeric Maschino wrote:

    >Gang,
    >
    >I would like to know if there are Linux apps taking advantages of the
    >21164PC chip (for example the MVI extensions) and if there's a big
    >difference with a stock 21164. Is the smaller 1MB L3 cache a drawback
    >compared to 2MB L3 cache on other PC164 motherboards (164LX, 164UX)?
    >
    >Thanks.

    I've been looking for software on EV6 that uses the CTPOP instruction,
    does anyone
    know of any or even examples using it ?

    >>> ^P.Lj

+ Reply to Thread