Kernel starts dropping incoming ping packets - Linux

This is a discussion on Kernel starts dropping incoming ping packets - Linux ; I am writing a device driver for a modem. I can successfully continuously ping to my modem for 8 to 10 minutes. After that, I can no longer ping to it, but I can ping from it. I have determined ...

  1. Kernel starts dropping incoming ping packets

    I am writing a device driver for a modem. I can successfully
    continuously ping to my modem for 8 to 10 minutes. After that, I can
    no longer ping to it, but I can ping from it. I have determined that
    at that point I am still receiving the ping packets and sending them
    to the kernel, just as I had when the pings were successful, but I am
    no longer receiving ping packets from the kernel to transmit back.

    Once it gets into this state, I have noticed that the "arp" and
    "route" commands take an extra long time to complete. Other commands
    are not slowed down. The "top" command does not show any
    extraordinary memory usage by any process. I am running Linux 2.6.10
    on a PowerPC processor. Any suggestions as to what may be going on?

  2. Re: Kernel starts dropping incoming ping packets

    Bill wrote:
    > I am writing a device driver for a modem. I can successfully
    > continuously ping to my modem for 8 to 10 minutes. After that, I can
    > no longer ping to it, but I can ping from it. I have determined that
    > at that point I am still receiving the ping packets and sending them
    > to the kernel, just as I had when the pings were successful, but I am
    > no longer receiving ping packets from the kernel to transmit back.
    >
    > Once it gets into this state, I have noticed that the "arp" and
    > "route" commands take an extra long time to complete. Other commands
    > are not slowed down. The "top" command does not show any
    > extraordinary memory usage by any process. I am running Linux 2.6.10
    > on a PowerPC processor. Any suggestions as to what may be going on?

    The kernel thinks you're a DOS attack?

  3. Re: Kernel starts dropping incoming ping packets

    On May 28, 7:26*pm, Jim Stewart wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    > > I am writing a device driver for a modem. *I can successfully
    > > continuously ping to my modem *for 8 to 10 minutes. *After that, I can
    > > no longer ping to it, but I can ping from it. *I have determined that
    > > at that point I am still *receiving the ping packets and sending them
    > > to the kernel, just as I had when the pings were successful, but I am
    > > no longer receiving ping packets from the kernel to transmit back.

    > > Once it gets into this state, I have noticed that the "arp" and
    > > "route" commands take an extra long time to complete. *Other commands
    > > are not slowed down. *The "top" command does not show any
    > > extraordinary memory usage by any process. *I am running Linux 2.6.10
    > > on a PowerPC processor. *Any suggestions as to what may be going on?

    > The kernel thinks you're a DOS attack?

    There might be an configuration which if enabled could respond to a
    DOS attack. However most of the public servers are pinged contineously
    by many network operators and i havent seen a situation where in the
    ping response is not sent back as described. I would try to see if the
    IP is lost during this process.

    How is the network set up? How did u determine you have received a
    ping packet? I would also use network analyzer to detect the messages
    on the network. There are free analyzing software online which you
    could use.

  4. Re: Kernel starts dropping incoming ping packets

    PROBLEM SOLVED. I was not freeing the TX socket buffers after
    transferring the data out of them.

+ Reply to Thread