How many "advocates" have me killfiled? - Linux

This is a discussion on How many "advocates" have me killfiled? - Linux ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, none of your buisiness wrote on Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:15:37 -0400 : > The Ghost In The Machine wrote: > >> snip Moshe Goldfarbs bull****. > > > Ghost, when are you going to show some respect ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Results 161 to 163 of 163

Thread: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

  1. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, none of your buisiness

    wrote
    on Fri, 06 Jun 2008 22:15:37 -0400
    <6au96nF3a7j6uU1@mid.individual.net>:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> snip Moshe Goldfarbs bull****.

    >
    >
    > Ghost, when are you going to show some respect & stop responding to these
    > assinine trolls post?
    > please killfile this "moshe" bastard.
    >


    I prefer to expose ****roaches rather than ignoring them. ;-)

    Of course you're partly right; we shouldn't give them
    suits and pocket-watches.

    --
    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
    char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }
    ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

  2. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    Hash: SHA1

    On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:52:04 -0700,
    Tim Smith wrote:
    > In article <59uih5-q9o.ln1@spankywork.localhost.net>,
    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >>
    >> Let me explain this to you in terms even you might be able to understand:
    >>
    >> The goal is to determine the number of Linux users from web stats.

    >
    > No, the goal is to determine the percentage of Linux users among the
    > general computer using population, not the absolute number.
    >
    > Since you seem to have overlooked this, I'll repeat it:
    >
    > Let
    >
    > Lf = number of Linux users who use Facebook
    > L = number of Linux users
    > Wf = number of Windows users who use Facebook
    > W = number of Windows users
    >
    > (To simplify things, we'll ignore Mac users).
    >
    > If Facebook usage isn't correlated with OS usage, then we'd expect
    >
    > Lf/L = Wf/W (1)
    >
    > The fraction of Linux users in the general computer using population is
    >
    > L / (L + W) = 1 / (1 + W/L) (2)
    >
    > and the fraction of Linux users in the Facebook population is
    >
    > Lf / (Lf + Wf) = 1 / (1 + Wf/Lf) (3).
    >
    > But from (1), we have W/L = Wf/Lf, and so (2) and (3) are equal.
    >
    > If Lf/L > Wf/W, then W/L > Wf/Lf, and (2) < (3). (Facebook has a higher
    > fraction of Linux users than the general population does).
    >
    > If Lf/L < Wf/W, then W/L < Wf/Lf, and (2) > (3). (Facebook has a lower
    > fraction of Linux users than the general population does).
    >
    > Do you have any reason to believe that Facebook use is correlated with
    > OS use, and so Lf/L != Wf/W?
    >



    Your argument can be summed up as "if we assume facebook web stats are valid,
    then the facebook web stats are valid"



    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

    iD8DBQFITtVLd90bcYOAWPYRAvoqAJ9+jPtwdJFqsTbq5e9zdB bsBo1UYgCgv2Ye
    gV1nuzuTS9d/inTRBrTjdiw=
    =4rhL
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

    --
    Jim Richardson http://www.eskimo.com/~warlock
    The real fun of living wisely is that you get to feel smug about it
    -- Hobbes

  3. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    On Jun 10, 3:26*pm, Jim Richardson wrote:
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:52:04 -0700,
    > *Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > In article <59uih5-q9o....@spankywork.localhost.net>,
    > > *Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    >
    > >> Let me explain this to you in terms even you might be able to understand:

    >
    > >> The goal is to determine the number of Linux users from web stats.

    >
    > > No, the goal is to determine the percentage of Linux users among the
    > > general computer using population, not the absolute number.

    >
    > > Since you seem to have overlooked this, I'll repeat it:

    >
    > > Let

    >
    > > * *Lf = number of Linux users who use Facebook
    > > * *L *= number of Linux users
    > > * *Wf = number of Windows users who use Facebook
    > > * *W *= number of Windows users

    >
    > > (To simplify things, we'll ignore Mac users).

    >
    > > If Facebook usage isn't correlated with OS usage, then we'd expect

    >
    > > * *Lf/L = Wf/W * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * (1)

    >
    > > The fraction of Linux users in the general computer using population is

    >
    > > * *L / (L + W) = 1 / (1 + W/L) * * * * * * * * ** (2)

    >
    > > and the fraction of Linux users in the Facebook population is

    >
    > > * *Lf / (Lf + Wf) = 1 / (1 + Wf/Lf) * * * * * * * *(3).

    >
    > > But from (1), we have W/L = Wf/Lf, and so (2) and (3) are equal.

    >
    > > If Lf/L > Wf/W, then W/L > Wf/Lf, and (2) < (3). (Facebook has a higher
    > > fraction of Linux users than the general population does).

    >
    > > If Lf/L < Wf/W, then W/L < Wf/Lf, and (2) > (3). *(Facebook has a lower
    > > fraction of Linux users than the general population does).

    >
    > > Do you have any reason to believe that Facebook use is correlated with
    > > OS use, and so Lf/L != Wf/W?

    >
    > Your argument can be summed up as "if we assume facebook web stats are valid,
    > then the facebook web stats are valid"


    It could be summed up that way if you wanted to be wrong. It's best
    summed up as "if we assume facebook web stats are valid, then they
    tell us a lot about how many Linux users there are, specifically the
    percentage of Linux users compared to other operating systems."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9