How many "advocates" have me killfiled? - Linux

This is a discussion on How many "advocates" have me killfiled? - Linux ; Kelsey Bjarnason wrote: > No, Timmy, we know that's not the case. We also know that there's > absolutely no point in discussing things with people - such as DFS - > who spew the same tired old crap over ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 163

Thread: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

  1. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    > No, Timmy, we know that's not the case. We also know that there's
    > absolutely no point in discussing things with people - such as DFS -
    > who spew the same tired old crap over and over and over, despite
    > being called on it and corrected on it.


    Spare me. You can't correct ANYTHING I post because there's nothing to be
    corrected.

    I install lots of Linux distros and try dozens and dozens of apps. I see
    and experience the bugginess and weird bull**** problems first-hand.

    What kind of bogus operating system randomly erases every entry - all 30+ of
    them - from your KDE System menu (as StartCom 5 did to me recently after I
    switched back into KDE from Gnome)? I knew from experience that KDE used an
    XML config file for the K menu, and I know my way around XML, so I found the
    file and was able to restore the menu.

    A newb has no little or chance of doing that. 1 fresh install, 1 fresh
    uninstall. Bye bye Linux.


    And only in Linux (that I can find) will you experience this:

    Linux freezes *when* USB device plugged in
    #1 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=USB+freezes

    Linux freezes *unless* USB device plugged in
    #7 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=freezes

    Lucky it was different users...




    > On a related note, I'll point out that virtually every Linux advocate
    > here has, at some point, admitted quite freely that even Windows has
    > some good points and some users,


    You'll point that out, eh? Good - so show us 3 cola "advocates" besides
    yourself that have done so. You can't.



    > and most, when having suggested
    > something which isn't actually true about Windows, have admitted
    > their errors and corrected them.


    A lying cola bozo has admitted to lying? Not a chance. They killfile and
    run away or dissemble and mumble when their stupid lies are proven wrong.
    They will NEVER admit they lied.

    That dumbass 7 just claimed Google revenue is now "on par" with MS revenue.
    When I showed him how retarded he was - that 3/31/2008 Google revenue is 1/3
    of MS revenue - he continued mealy-mouthing and then claimed it was "of the
    same magnitude".

    AZ Nomad recently said "Vista actually requires more ram than a 32bit cpu
    can address."

    Richard Rasker claimed "Vista does indeed require between 10 and 20 times
    the amount of system resources Linux needs for equal performance."

    Good luck getting them to admit their lies.








  2. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled? Troll Alert

    Tim Smith wrote:
    > William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> As for "let his opponents have the last word all the time", that's why
    >> at the end of a post when binning someone lets *everyone* know
    >> that the troll will be ignored. Typically, trolls will still respond
    >> after that, but they may as well talk to themselves. It's something to
    >> look for in newsgroups, especially if a few people do it to a
    >> particular poster.

    >
    > Really? So, if DFS posts a bunch of links showing Linux having problems
    > with some area that, say, Roy, has declared Linux great in, your past
    > of DFS in some other thread will somehow magically alert all
    > current readers that DFS is being ignored for that reason, rather than
    > being ignored because no one has a good answer?


    This is an example of:

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    46. Accept the claims of other anti-Linux propagandists as face value
    Always treat other anti-Linux propagandist's statements as being true.
    Accept their interpretations without question, don't bother verifying
    their statements. If they claim something against a Linux advocate always
    side with the anti-Linux propagandists.

    > It may be hard to believe, but there are actually new people coming to
    > this group. The new names aren't *all* just new HPT and Culley sock
    > puppets.


    Liar.

    --
    HPT

  3. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled? Troll Alert

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 04:31:30 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:


    Your COLaTroll site is a trojan site, Roy Culley....


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 23:05:49 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > On 2008-06-02, Tim Smith wrote:
    >> In article ,
    >> William Poaster wrote:
    >>> As for "let his opponents have the last word all the time", that's why
    >>> at the end of a post when binning someone lets *everyone* know
    >>> that the troll will be ignored. Typically, trolls will still respond
    >>> after

    >>
    >> Really? So, if DFS posts a bunch of links showing Linux having problems
    >> with some area that, say, Roy, has declared Linux great in, your past
    >> of DFS in some other thread will somehow magically alert all
    >> current readers that DFS is being ignored for that reason, rather than
    >> being ignored because no one has a good answer?

    >
    > DFS poses no questions. It is a filthy spammer and actually has gone
    > insane.


    DFS just posts things the troll googled for, DooFuS doens't actually *use*
    a Linux distro & fools no one.

    >> It may be hard to believe, but there are actually new people coming to
    >> this group. The new names aren't *all* just new HPT and Culley sock
    >> puppets.

    >
    > It would be nice if you actually posted some content.


    And the Mac Smith troll can post proof of these socks, can he? Or STFU.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

  5. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    William Poaster wrote:

    > Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >>
    >> Tim Smith wrote:
    >>>
    >>> It may be hard to believe, but there are actually new people coming to
    >>> this group. The new names aren't *all* just new HPT and Culley sock
    >>> puppets.

    >>
    >> It would be nice if you actually posted some content.

    >
    >And the Mac Smith troll can post proof of these socks, can he? Or STFU.


    It seems that Timmy, like many hypocritcal fsckwits, does not
    differentiate between occasional nym changes, just "for the heck of
    it", and rampant nym-shifting designed to evade kill-filters. Of
    course, a few advocates like to do the former, and, really, no one
    should have a problem with it.

    It's just one more way for a low-life to attack his moral superiors.


  6. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled? Troll Alert

    Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:



    No, site has been comment spammed by this same troll:

    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html

    Anonymous said...

    Ass and titties
    June 3, 2008 5:56 AM
    Fingerprints match.

    --
    HPT

  7. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 16:34:36 -0700, cc wrote:

    > On Jun 2, 3:00*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> [snips]
    >>
    >> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 05:14:00 -0700, cc wrote:
    >> > Ahh, you and your supposed picking appart of the web stats again.
    >> > You've never shown any shortcomings.

    >>
    >> Let's look at a hypothetical case. *We'll assume facebook shows 90%
    >> Windows users and 5% Linux. *Here's the question for you: from these,
    >> tell us about how many Linux users there are. *Not Linux users of
    >> facebook, but Linux users period.
    >>
    >> In order to figure that out, you need to know just how popular facebook
    >> is with Linux users in general. *Sure, you know that 5% of your
    >> visitors use Linux, but does that represent 5% of Linux users, or 50%,
    >> or 1/100th of a percent?

    >
    >
    > Tell me how using Linux influences your decision to visit facebook.


    I didn't say it did. How about at least pretending to be honest for a
    change?


  8. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled? Troll Alert

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:23:49 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > No, site has been comment spammed by this same troll:
    >
    > http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html
    >
    >
    > Anonymous said...
    >
    > Ass and titties
    > June 3, 2008 5:56 AM
    >
    >
    > Fingerprints match.


    Sure they do.....
    Sorry I don't SPAM sites, not even yours.
    I took a look and the dammed site tries to download a file.


    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Collector of soaps from around the globe.
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

    >On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 16:34:36 -0700, cc wrote:
    >>
    >> Tell me how using Linux influences your decision to visit facebook.

    >
    >I didn't say it did. How about at least pretending to be honest for a
    >change?


    Would "Hadron" respect him the morning?


  10. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    In article ,
    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > >> In order to figure that out, you need to know just how popular facebook
    > >> is with Linux users in general. *Sure, you know that 5% of your
    > >> visitors use Linux, but does that represent 5% of Linux users, or 50%,
    > >> or 1/100th of a percent?

    > >
    > >
    > > Tell me how using Linux influences your decision to visit facebook.

    >
    > I didn't say it did. How about at least pretending to be honest for a
    > change?


    Do you think there is a negative correlation between using Linux and
    using Facebook?


    --
    --Tim Smith

  11. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:33:28 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> >> In order to figure that out, you need to know just how popular
    >> >> facebook is with Linux users in general. *Sure, you know that 5% of
    >> >> your visitors use Linux, but does that represent 5% of Linux users,
    >> >> or 50%, or 1/100th of a percent?
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > Tell me how using Linux influences your decision to visit facebook.

    >>
    >> I didn't say it did. How about at least pretending to be honest for a
    >> change?

    >
    > Do you think there is a negative correlation between using Linux and
    > using Facebook?


    Did I say - or even suggest - there was? No.

    Okay, Timmy, could you kindly get back to us *after* learning to read?


  12. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    On Jun 3, 2:00*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 16:34:36 -0700, cc wrote:
    > > On Jun 2, 3:00*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > >> [snips]

    >
    > >> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 05:14:00 -0700, cc wrote:
    > >> > Ahh, you and your supposed picking appart of the web stats again.
    > >> > You've never shown any shortcomings.

    >
    > >> Let's look at a hypothetical case. *We'll assume facebook shows 90%
    > >> Windows users and 5% Linux. *Here's the question for you: from these,
    > >> tell us about how many Linux users there are. *Not Linux users of
    > >> facebook, but Linux users period.

    >
    > >> In order to figure that out, you need to know just how popular facebook
    > >> is with Linux users in general. *Sure, you know that 5% of your
    > >> visitors use Linux, but does that represent 5% of Linux users, or 50%,
    > >> or 1/100th of a percent?

    >
    > > Tell me how using Linux influences your decision to visit facebook.

    >
    > I didn't say it did. *How about at least pretending to be honest for a
    > change?


    Then if there is no correlation between Linux and visiting facebook,
    then the statistics would be an accurate measurement. You have a group
    of people coming to facebook. You know which percentage of them use
    Linux. You agree with me that there is no reason why a Linux user
    would be less or more likely to visit facebook. So they are being as
    accurately counted as other operating system users. Therefore it would
    be a fairly accurate measurement of actual Linux users. This is called
    statistics. They teach it.

  13. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    On Jun 3, 6:00*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:33:28 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > *Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > >> >> In order to figure that out, you need to know just how popular
    > >> >> facebook is with Linux users in general. *Sure, you know that 5% of
    > >> >> your visitors use Linux, but does that represent 5% of Linux users,
    > >> >> or 50%, or 1/100th of a percent?

    >
    > >> > Tell me how using Linux influences your decision to visit facebook.

    >
    > >> I didn't say it did. *How about at least pretending to be honest for a
    > >> change?

    >
    > > Do you think there is a negative correlation between using Linux and
    > > using Facebook?

    >
    > Did I say - or even suggest - there was? *No.
    >
    > Okay, Timmy, could you kindly get back to us *after* learning to read?


    He's making the same point I was, not saying that was what you
    implied. You've nuked yourself, which was the point of our statements.

  14. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    In article <34qgh5-92c.ln1@spankywork.localhost.net>,
    Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > >> > Tell me how using Linux influences your decision to visit facebook.
    > >>
    > >> I didn't say it did. How about at least pretending to be honest for a
    > >> change?

    > >
    > > Do you think there is a negative correlation between using Linux and
    > > using Facebook?

    >
    > Did I say - or even suggest - there was? No.
    >
    > Okay, Timmy, could you kindly get back to us *after* learning to read?


    If Linux users are more likely to use Facebook than the general computer
    using population is, then the percentage of Linux users found among
    Facebook users would be higher than the percentage in the general
    computer using population. If Linux usage is independent of Facebook
    usage, then the percentage of Linux users found among Facebook users
    would be about the same as the percentage in the general computer using
    population. In both of these cases, Linux use on Facebook would give us
    a good upper limit on general Linux use.

    You seem to doubt that we can get good upper limits from sites like
    this, which would mean that they have a lower use than would be expected
    based on Linux use in the general population.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  15. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 16:03:38 -0700, cc wrote:

    > On Jun 3, 2:00*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 16:34:36 -0700, cc wrote:
    >> > On Jun 2, 3:00*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    >> >> [snips]

    >>
    >> >> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 05:14:00 -0700, cc wrote:
    >> >> > Ahh, you and your supposed picking appart of the web stats again.
    >> >> > You've never shown any shortcomings.

    >>
    >> >> Let's look at a hypothetical case. *We'll assume facebook shows 90%
    >> >> Windows users and 5% Linux. *Here's the question for you: from
    >> >> these, tell us about how many Linux users there are. *Not Linux
    >> >> users of facebook, but Linux users period.

    >>
    >> >> In order to figure that out, you need to know just how popular
    >> >> facebook is with Linux users in general. *Sure, you know that 5% of
    >> >> your visitors use Linux, but does that represent 5% of Linux users,
    >> >> or 50%, or 1/100th of a percent?

    >>
    >> > Tell me how using Linux influences your decision to visit facebook.

    >>
    >> I didn't say it did. *How about at least pretending to be honest for a
    >> change?

    >
    > Then if there is no correlation between Linux and visiting facebook,


    then the usage of facebook has no correlation to the use of Linux. Yes,
    finally, you're getting it.

    Oh, no, you're not.


  16. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > If Linux users are more likely to use Facebook than the general computer
    > using population is, then the percentage of Linux users found among
    > Facebook users would be higher than the percentage in the general
    > computer using population. If Linux usage is independent of Facebook
    > usage, then the percentage of Linux users found among Facebook users
    > would be about the same as the percentage in the general computer using
    > population. In both of these cases, Linux use on Facebook would give us
    > a good upper limit on general Linux use.


    No, it would give us the middle of the upper and lower limits, wouldn't
    it?

    > You seem to doubt that we can get good upper limits from sites like
    > this, which would mean that they have a lower use than would be expected
    > based on Linux use in the general population.


    Why do you think it is possible to use Facebook as a "good upper limit"
    /or/ a "good lower limit"?

    Personally, since Linux is still somewhat of a techie system, I would
    suspect that most Facebook users are Windowsers. (Except, of course,
    for guys like Reuven Lerner of Linux Journal, who has writtem some
    articles about the "facebook API".)

    --
    I'm sorry that we have to have a Washington presence. We thrived during our
    first 16 years without any of this. I never made a political visit to
    Washington and we had no people here. It wasn't on our radar screen. We were
    just making great software.
    -- Bill Gates

  17. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    On Jun 3, 8:15*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 16:03:38 -0700, cc wrote:
    > > On Jun 3, 2:00*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > >> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 16:34:36 -0700, cc wrote:
    > >> > On Jun 2, 3:00*pm, Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
    > >> >> [snips]

    >
    > >> >> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 05:14:00 -0700, cc wrote:
    > >> >> > Ahh, you and your supposed picking appart of the web stats again.
    > >> >> > You've never shown any shortcomings.

    >
    > >> >> Let's look at a hypothetical case. *We'll assume facebook shows 90%
    > >> >> Windows users and 5% Linux. *Here's the question for you: from
    > >> >> these, tell us about how many Linux users there are. *Not Linux
    > >> >> users of facebook, but Linux users period.

    >
    > >> >> In order to figure that out, you need to know just how popular
    > >> >> facebook is with Linux users in general. *Sure, you know that 5% of
    > >> >> your visitors use Linux, but does that represent 5% of Linux users,
    > >> >> or 50%, or 1/100th of a percent?

    >
    > >> > Tell me how using Linux influences your decision to visit facebook.

    >
    > >> I didn't say it did. *How about at least pretending to be honest for a
    > >> change?

    >
    > > Then if there is no correlation between Linux and visiting facebook,

    >
    > then the usage of facebook has no correlation to the use of Linux. *Yes,
    > finally, you're getting it.
    >


    You're not though. You can snip the arguments all you want, but it
    doesn't make you look any smarter.

  18. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    On Jun 3, 9:59*pm, Linonut wrote:
    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > > If Linux users are more likely to use Facebook than the general computer
    > > using population is, then the percentage of Linux users found among
    > > Facebook users would be higher than the percentage in the general
    > > computer using population. *If Linux usage is independent of Facebook
    > > usage, then the percentage of Linux users found among Facebook users
    > > would be about the same as the percentage in the general computer using
    > > population. *In both of these cases, Linux use on Facebook would give us
    > > a good upper limit on general Linux use.

    >
    > No, it would give us the middle of the upper and lower limits, wouldn't
    > it?
    >
    > > You seem to doubt that we can get good upper limits from sites like
    > > this, which would mean that they have a lower use than would be expected
    > > based on Linux use in the general population.

    >
    > Why do you think it is possible to use Facebook as a "good upper limit"
    > /or/ a "good lower limit"?
    >
    > Personally, since Linux is still somewhat of a techie system, I would
    > suspect that most Facebook users are Windowsers. *(Except, of course,
    > for guys like Reuven Lerner of Linux Journal, who has writtem some
    > articles about the "facebook API".)
    >



    Facebook was an example Kelsey pulled out of his ass then ran away
    from. Facebook has an obvious age bias anyway. The point wasn't
    facebook, but web sites in general. Substitute google for facebook in
    all the previous posts and the point still stands.

  19. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    William Poaster wrote:
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> Tim Smith fired off:
    >>
    >>> Really? So, if DFS posts a bunch of links showing Linux having
    >>> problems with some area that, say, Roy, has declared Linux great in,
    >>> your past of DFS in some other thread will somehow magically
    >>> alert all current readers that DFS is being ignored for that reason,
    >>> rather than being ignored because no one has a good answer?

    >>
    >> Well, I feel that a good razzberry often speaks volumes.

    >
    > I feel the MActroll is talking bollocks, as usual.
    >
    >>> It may be hard to believe, but there are actually new people coming to
    >>> this group. The new names aren't *all* just new HPT and Culley sock
    >>> puppets.

    >>
    >> Nice one Tim. I'm sure you have /proof/ of this rampant sock puppetry,
    >> hmm?

    >
    > Funny how the Mactroll Smith cites this alleged sock puppetry without
    > proof, yet not a word about Moshe "Flatfish" Goldfarbe.


    “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will
    eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such
    time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic
    and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important
    for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth
    is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the
    greatest enemy of the State.” Joseph Goebbels

    It is interesting to note that the Wintrolls in this newsgroup have been
    carrying the same party line, same lie.

    >> Even "Moshe" doesn't seem to engage in that, lately, as far as I can
    >> tell. Right now, most of the posters here are singletons, I feel.


    Google Groups and Usenet ISP's including the free ones have been putting
    in additional controls to help control comment spamming and indescriminant
    nym-shifting.

    --
    HPT

  20. Re: How many "advocates" have me killfiled?

    On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 21:13:27 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> Tim Smith fired off:
    >>>
    >>>> Really? So, if DFS posts a bunch of links showing Linux having
    >>>> problems with some area that, say, Roy, has declared Linux great in,
    >>>> your past of DFS in some other thread will somehow magically
    >>>> alert all current readers that DFS is being ignored for that reason,
    >>>> rather than being ignored because no one has a good answer?
    >>>
    >>> Well, I feel that a good razzberry often speaks volumes.

    >>
    >> I feel the MActroll is talking bollocks, as usual.
    >>
    >>>> It may be hard to believe, but there are actually new people coming to
    >>>> this group. The new names aren't *all* just new HPT and Culley sock
    >>>> puppets.
    >>>
    >>> Nice one Tim. I'm sure you have /proof/ of this rampant sock puppetry,
    >>> hmm?

    >>
    >> Funny how the Mactroll Smith cites this alleged sock puppetry without
    >> proof, yet not a word about Moshe "Flatfish" Goldfarbe.

    >
    > If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will
    > eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such
    > time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic
    > and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important
    > for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth
    > is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the
    > greatest enemy of the State. Joseph Goebbels
    >
    > It is interesting to note that the Wintrolls in this newsgroup have been
    > carrying the same party line, same lie.


    Not really, it's known that trolls can use listservers to communicate
    between themselves. Thus they can coordinate what is to be the "party line".
    In other cases, trolls will merely parrot what other trolls have said.
    That's why I laugh at trolls when they accuse someone of "me too" answers,
    because *they* do it!

    >>> Even "Moshe" doesn't seem to engage in that, lately, as far as I can
    >>> tell. Right now, most of the posters here are singletons, I feel.

    >
    > Google Groups and Usenet ISP's including the free ones have been putting
    > in additional controls to help control comment spamming and indescriminant
    > nym-shifting.


    I haven't noticed much of anything from googlegroups, as they just don't
    seem to bother about the inordinate amount of spam coming through them.
    Consequently, like others, I block them & whitelist people I want to see.
    http://improve-usenet.org/

    In fact googlegroups is so bad, one Swedish usenet provider blocks them,
    & announces: "No more google groups posts on this server."
    http://www.usenet4all.se/

    (I can almost hear Quack screaming "censorship!")

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast