Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing - Linux

This is a discussion on Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing - Linux ; http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...053100624.html Google Outed As Anonymous Ebay Critic But an anonymous 38 page document that is highly critical of Ebay's move was submitted on May 26, leading to speculation on who the author might be. It turns out, the title of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    Google Outed As Anonymous Ebay Critic

    But an anonymous 38 page document that is highly critical of Ebay's move
    was submitted on May 26, leading to speculation on who the author might be.

    It turns out, the title of the document, hidden in the PDF metadata, gave a
    very good clue "Microsoft Word - 204481916_1_ACCC Submission by Google re
    eBay Public _2_.DOC." An Australian named David Bromage first discovered
    it.

  2. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 10:28:06 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...053100624.html
    >

    > Google Outed As Anonymous Ebay Critic
    >
    > But an anonymous 38 page document that is highly critical of Ebay's move
    > was submitted on May 26, leading to speculation on who the author might be.
    >
    > It turns out, the title of the document, hidden in the PDF metadata, gave a
    > very good clue "Microsoft Word - 204481916_1_ACCC Submission by Google re
    > eBay Public _2_.DOC." An Australian named David Bromage first discovered
    > it.

    Google is evil.
    The last straw for me was this sham/scam to store people's medical records.
    It's like the mark of the beast or something.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 23:26:21 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Moshe, Goldfarb." writes:
    >
    >> On Sat, 31 May 2008 10:28:06 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...053100624.html
    >>>

    >>> Google Outed As Anonymous Ebay Critic
    >>>
    >>> But an anonymous 38 page document that is highly critical of Ebay's move
    >>> was submitted on May 26, leading to speculation on who the author might be.
    >>>
    >>> It turns out, the title of the document, hidden in the PDF metadata, gave a
    >>> very good clue "Microsoft Word - 204481916_1_ACCC Submission by Google re
    >>> eBay Public _2_.DOC." An Australian named David Bromage first discovered
    >>> it.
    >>>

    >> Google is evil.
    >> The last straw for me was this sham/scam to store people's medical records.
    >> It's like the mark of the beast or something.

    > Any idea when the bearded masses will stride to Roy's marching call and
    > implement his vision?
    >
    > http://www.iuron.com

    Hahahahah!!!!!

    Schestowitz is a complete boob.
    That must be one hell of a simple University to graduate from.
    Even though he hasn't graduated yet.

    Go rent the movie Van Wilder.

    It's Schestowitz only that guy is popular, interesting, funny and creative.
    Schestowitz is dull, ignorant and unpopular.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > Google Outed As Anonymous Ebay Critic
    >
    > But an anonymous 38 page document that is highly critical of Ebay's move
    > was submitted on May 26, leading to speculation on who the author might
    > be.
    >
    > It turns out, the title of the document, hidden in the PDF metadata, gave
    > a very good clue "Microsoft Word - 204481916_1_ACCC Submission by Google
    > re eBay Public _2_.DOC." An Australian named David Bromage first
    > discovered it.

    It is not really astro-turfing, because what we are talking about is one,
    albeit large, submission. One submission does not a groundswell make.

    It looks rather more like Google didn't want the door closed on its
    competing product, but also didn't want a backlash from eBay. If there is
    anything to be learnt here it is that Office and Acrobat distribute private
    information that they shouldn't. I would say that in future these
    organizations should use OpenOffice.org for writing anything, that is to be
    sent to the net, and avoid the embarrassment.

    Ian

  5. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    In article <1212289762.592525@angel.amnet.net.au>,
    Ian Hilliard wrote:
    > It looks rather more like Google didn't want the door closed on its
    > competing product, but also didn't want a backlash from eBay. If there is
    > anything to be learnt here it is that Office and Acrobat distribute private
    > information that they shouldn't. I would say that in future these
    > organizations should use OpenOffice.org for writing anything, that is to be
    > sent to the net, and avoid the embarrassment.

    You've never looked at OpenOffice metadata, have you?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  6. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    "Ian Hilliard" wrote in message
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...053100624.html
    >>

    >> Google Outed As Anonymous Ebay Critic
    >>
    >> But an anonymous 38 page document that is highly critical of Ebay's move
    >> was submitted on May 26, leading to speculation on who the author might
    >> be.
    >>
    >> It turns out, the title of the document, hidden in the PDF metadata,
    >> gave
    >> a very good clue "Microsoft Word - 204481916_1_ACCC Submission by Google
    >> re eBay Public _2_.DOC." An Australian named David Bromage first
    >> discovered it.

    > It is not really astro-turfing, because what we are talking about is one,
    > albeit large, submission. One submission does not a groundswell make.
    >
    > It looks rather more like Google didn't want the door closed on its
    > competing product, but also didn't want a backlash from eBay. If there is
    > anything to be learnt here it is that Office and Acrobat distribute
    > private
    > information that they shouldn't. I would say that in future these
    > organizations should use OpenOffice.org for writing anything, that is to
    > be
    > sent to the net, and avoid the embarrassment.

    So why isn't Google using OpenOffice and all of these FOSS solutions right
    now? Why does Google use Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat?

    > Ian

  7. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    > In article <1212289762.592525@angel.amnet.net.au>,
    > Ian Hilliard wrote:
    >> It looks rather more like Google didn't want the door closed on its
    >> competing product, but also didn't want a backlash from eBay. If there is
    >> anything to be learnt here it is that Office and Acrobat distribute private
    >> information that they shouldn't. I would say that in future these
    >> organizations should use OpenOffice.org for writing anything, that is to be
    >> sent to the net, and avoid the embarrassment.

    > You've never looked at OpenOffice metadata, have you?

    In a new documetn I just created, there is none.

    I would assume, though, that both suites will maintain change-data and old
    paragraphs, any user-info you (perhaps foolishly) entered when you first
    ran the office app, and settings information.

    You want privacy? Use a document format that is easily edited by vi.

    You still want change management? Use subversion.

    --
    Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few
    employers are interested in helping you find yourself.

  8. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:06:22 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Ian Hilliard" wrote in message
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>

    >> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...053100624.html
    >>>

    >>> Google Outed As Anonymous Ebay Critic
    >>>
    >>> But an anonymous 38 page document that is highly critical of Ebay's move
    >>> was submitted on May 26, leading to speculation on who the author might
    >>> be.
    >>>
    >>> It turns out, the title of the document, hidden in the PDF metadata,
    >>> gave
    >>> a very good clue "Microsoft Word - 204481916_1_ACCC Submission by Google
    >>> re eBay Public _2_.DOC." An Australian named David Bromage first
    >>> discovered it.
    >>>

    >>> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    >> It is not really astro-turfing, because what we are talking about is one,
    >> albeit large, submission. One submission does not a groundswell make.
    >>
    >> It looks rather more like Google didn't want the door closed on its
    >> competing product, but also didn't want a backlash from eBay. If there is
    >> anything to be learnt here it is that Office and Acrobat distribute
    >> private
    >> information that they shouldn't. I would say that in future these
    >> organizations should use OpenOffice.org for writing anything, that is to
    >> be
    >> sent to the net, and avoid the embarrassment.

    > So why isn't Google using OpenOffice and all of these FOSS solutions right
    > now? Why does Google use Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat?

    Why doesn't Google release the source code to their Linux programs?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:55:41 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:06:22 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Ian Hilliard" wrote in message
    >>> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>>

    >>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...le/2008/05/31/

    AR2008053100624.html

    >>> It is not really astro-turfing, because what we are talking about is
    >>> one, albeit large, submission. One submission does not a groundswell
    >>> make.
    >>>
    >>> It looks rather more like Google didn't want the door closed on its
    >>> competing product, but also didn't want a backlash from eBay. If there
    >>> is anything to be learnt here it is that Office and Acrobat distribute
    >>> private
    >>> information that they shouldn't. I would say that in future these
    >>> organizations should use OpenOffice.org for writing anything, that is
    >>> to be
    >>> sent to the net, and avoid the embarrassment.

    >> So why isn't Google using OpenOffice and all of these FOSS solutions
    >> right now? Why does Google use Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat?
    >>

    > Why doesn't Google release the source code to their Linux programs?

    Apparently hey don't re-distribute the ones you are talking about, so
    they seem to be adhering to the GPL. Why don't you go read it?

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 09:59:35 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:55:41 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 08:06:22 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Ian Hilliard" wrote in message

    > AR2008053100624.html

    >>> So why isn't Google using OpenOffice and all of these FOSS solutions
    >>> right now? Why does Google use Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat?
    >>>

    >> Why doesn't Google release the source code to their Linux programs?

    > Apparently hey don't re-distribute the ones you are talking about, so
    > they seem to be adhering to the GPL. Why don't you go read it?

    I'd rather read War and Peace.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:44:29 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 09:59:35 -0500, Rick wrote:

    >> AR2008053100624.html

    >>> Why doesn't Google release the source code to their Linux programs?

    >> Apparently hey don't re-distribute the ones you are talking about, so
    >> they seem to be adhering to the GPL. Why don't you go read it?

    > I'd rather read War and Peace.

    Translation: you don't want to know the truth.
    BTW, War and Peace is a pretty good book. You, however, might need a
    dictionary to help out with the big words.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > > You've never looked at OpenOffice metadata, have you?

    > In a new documetn I just created, there is none.
    >
    > I would assume, though, that both suites will maintain change-data and old
    > paragraphs, any user-info you (perhaps foolishly) entered when you first
    > ran the office app, and settings information.

    The document I just made (OO 2.0, as that's what is on the Ubuntu system
    that is handy at the moment) has my name in the meta.xml file in my
    saved document. I did not enter this information when I first ran the
    program. It gets it from /etc/passwd, based on the user running the
    program. (I verified this by making a brand new account, logging in as
    that user, and making a document, and it had that new user's name in the
    metadata).

    > You want privacy? Use a document format that is easily edited by vi.
    >
    > You still want change management? Use subversion.

    In this case, though, the problem actually appears with the file name.
    It looks like the PDF included the name of the source file. So, use
    nondescript names for your files, too!

    --
    --Tim Smith

  13. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:08:05 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:44:29 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> AR2008053100624.html

    >>> Apparently hey don't re-distribute the ones you are talking about, so
    >>> they seem to be adhering to the GPL. Why don't you go read it?

    >> I'd rather read War and Peace.

    > Translation: you don't want to know the truth. BTW, War and Peace is a
    > pretty good book. You, however, might need a dictionary to help out with
    > the big words.

    Such as "the" and "and"?

  14. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:08:05 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 11:44:29 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> AR2008053100624.html

    >>> Apparently hey don't re-distribute the ones you are talking about, so
    >>> they seem to be adhering to the GPL. Why don't you go read it?

    >> I'd rather read War and Peace.

    > Translation: you don't want to know the truth.
    > BTW, War and Peace is a pretty good book. You, however, might need a
    > dictionary to help out with the big words.

    I know the truth.
    I also know that you Linux loons are hypocrites.
    So?
    What more needs to be said.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  15. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    > The document I just made (OO 2.0, as that's what is on the Ubuntu system
    > that is handy at the moment) has my name in the meta.xml file in my
    > saved document. I did not enter this information when I first ran the
    > program. It gets it from /etc/passwd, based on the user running the
    > program. (I verified this by making a brand new account, logging in as
    > that user, and making a document, and it had that new user's name in the
    > metadata).

    Hmmm, I just did that (OO 2.0, on this old P III laptop), and nothing
    about my user name.

    We must have set something up differently after installation, somehow.

    (Unless, of course, you wish to refer to me as 'Liarnut' ).

    --
    The finest pieces of software are those where one individual has a complete
    sense of exactly how the program works. To have that, you have to really

  16. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Ian Hilliard" wrote in message
    >> Ezekiel wrote:

    >>> Google Outed As Anonymous Ebay Critic
    >>>
    >>> But an anonymous 38 page document that is highly critical of Ebay's move
    >>> was submitted on May 26, leading to speculation on who the author might
    >>> be.
    >>>
    >>> It turns out, the title of the document, hidden in the PDF metadata,
    >>> gave
    >>> a very good clue "Microsoft Word - 204481916_1_ACCC Submission by Google
    >>> re eBay Public _2_.DOC." An Australian named David Bromage first
    >>> discovered it.
    >>>

    >>> ** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    >> It is not really astro-turfing, because what we are talking about is one,
    >> albeit large, submission. One submission does not a groundswell make.
    >>
    >> It looks rather more like Google didn't want the door closed on its
    >> competing product, but also didn't want a backlash from eBay. If there is
    >> anything to be learnt here it is that Office and Acrobat distribute
    >> private
    >> information that they shouldn't. I would say that in future these
    >> organizations should use OpenOffice.org for writing anything, that is to
    >> be
    >> sent to the net, and avoid the embarrassment.

    > So why isn't Google using OpenOffice and all of these FOSS solutions right
    > now? Why does Google use Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat?
    >

    >> Ian

    I have no idea what Google itself uses for wordprocessing. At this point, it
    does not matter. My point is that Open Office does an excellent job of
    creating .pdf files and I have not been able to find any meta data taken
    from the source document in the .pdf that is generated.

    Ian

  17. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    On 2008-06-02, Linonut claimed:
    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> The document I just made (OO 2.0, as that's what is on the Ubuntu system
    >> that is handy at the moment) has my name in the meta.xml file in my
    >> saved document. I did not enter this information when I first ran the
    >> program. It gets it from /etc/passwd, based on the user running the
    >> program. (I verified this by making a brand new account, logging in as
    >> that user, and making a document, and it had that new user's name in the
    >> metadata).

    > Hmmm, I just did that (OO 2.0, on this old P III laptop), and nothing
    > about my user name.
    >
    > We must have set something up differently after installation, somehow.
    >
    > (Unless, of course, you wish to refer to me as 'Liarnut' ).

    I have 2.0.4 installed. I just created a document. Nothing whatsoever
    about the login, username or any other identifying material showed up
    in the metadata. In the fields where it might show, I see "Info 1",
    "Info 2", etc in place of the info. It *would* be there if I'd entered
    it into the Userdata part of the preferences.

    I *do* have an older document dealing with a credit card cancellation
    that has that in there separate from the items I put into the body of
    the letter. But that not only used an older version, it also was a
    version that I entered stuff into the Userdata fields. The version
    referenced above doesn't have any of that in Userdata.

    Timmy created a new account, ran oowriter, added the Userdata junk and
    created a document. If he didn't do those things, he's making it all
    up.

    I don't enter that sort of personal information at work. Yet the
    metadata from Offal has identifying information in it based on my
    login. Which is why I started using oowriter on the machine I use most.

    Besides, the tracking info from Offal is probably secretly shipped off
    to the criminal Stevie Blammer, anyway, so he can track things to see
    who the nice BSA (Gestapo) needs to audit next.

    --
    Bring Windows to its knees: start an application.

  18. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    Sinister Midget wrote:

    > Besides, the tracking info from Offal is probably secretly shipped off
    > to the criminal Stevie Blammer, anyway, so he can track things to see
    > who the nice BSA (Gestapo) needs to audit next.

    "5.2 Inspection. During the term of this Agreement and for one (1) year
    thereafter, Red Hat or its designated agent may inspect Client's facilities
    and records to verify Client's compliance with this Agreement. Any such
    inspection will take place only during Client's normal business hours and
    upon no less than ten (10) days prior written notice from Red Hat. Red Hat
    will give Client written notice of any non-compliance, including the number
    of underreported Units of Software or Services, and Client will have fifteen
    (15) days from the date of this notice to make payment to Red Hat for the
    applicable Services provided with respect to the underreported Units. If
    Client underreports the number of Units utilized by more than five percent
    (5%) of the number of Units for which Client paid, Client will also pay Red
    Hat for the cost of such inspection."

    http://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhel_us.html

  19. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 08:30:03 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Sinister Midget wrote:
    >
    >> Besides, the tracking info from Offal is probably secretly shipped off
    >> to the criminal Stevie Blammer, anyway, so he can track things to see
    >> who the nice BSA (Gestapo) needs to audit next.

    > "5.2 Inspection. During the term of this Agreement and for one (1) year
    > thereafter, Red Hat or its designated agent may inspect Client's facilities
    > and records to verify Client's compliance with this Agreement. Any such
    > inspection will take place only during Client's normal business hours and
    > upon no less than ten (10) days prior written notice from Red Hat. Red Hat
    > will give Client written notice of any non-compliance, including the number
    > of underreported Units of Software or Services, and Client will have fifteen
    > (15) days from the date of this notice to make payment to Red Hat for the
    > applicable Services provided with respect to the underreported Units. If
    > Client underreports the number of Units utilized by more than five percent
    > (5%) of the number of Units for which Client paid, Client will also pay Red
    > Hat for the cost of such inspection."
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/licenses/rhel_us.html

    Another dirty little secret of Linux.

    It doesn't matter though because the Linux loons will just steal it anyhow.
    They don't like to pay for anything because they feel the earth should be
    entitled to have software for free and that the hard work of the
    programmers is not worth compensation.

    Leeches = Linux advocates.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: Washington Post reports - Google caught astro-turfing

    In article ,
    Sinister Midget wrote:
    > I have 2.0.4 installed. I just created a document. Nothing whatsoever

    I have 2.0.2 on my home Linux system.

    > about the login, username or any other identifying material showed up
    > in the metadata. In the fields where it might show, I see "Info 1",
    > "Info 2", etc in place of the info. It *would* be there if I'd entered
    > it into the Userdata part of the preferences.

    No, that's not what populates "Info 1", etc. The user name shows up in
    the document creation information, which is on the "general" tab of the
    document properties.

    On 2.0.2, using whatever settings Ubuntu 6.06 sets up OO with by
    default, the document creator is initialized form the name in
    /etc/passwd.

    On my 8.04 system, using OO 2.4.0, the creator is blank.

    I have no idea whether this change in behavior is something the OO
    people did between 2.0.2 and 2.4.0, or something the Ubuntu people did
    in the way they set up OO.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread