Linux on Alpha PWS Miata network hanging - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux on Alpha PWS Miata network hanging - Linux ; I'm trying to install Linux on a Digital PWS Alpha Miata. I am loading from Mandrake 7.1. It installed OK but when I use the network, it hangs under load. What happens is ping starts showing 'destination unreachable' after a ...

  1. Linux on Alpha PWS Miata network hanging

    I'm trying to install Linux on a Digital PWS Alpha Miata. I am
    network, it hangs under load.

    What happens is ping starts showing 'destination unreachable' after a
    few seconds while doing an FTP or using Netscape. The FTP or Netscape
    will just hang. Everything else in the OS keeps working. If I do a
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart, it starts working again.

    I went to kernel.org and got the 2.4.23 kernel, same thing.

    I am using the built-in ethernet (21143) with the tulip.o driver. I
    also tried an i82257 board (in one of the PCI-32bit slots) with the
    eepro100.o driver, same result.

    Other plug-in cards I have are a S3-Trio64 video card (in one of the
    PCI-64bit slots) and a Qlogic ISP-1020 SCSI card (in one of the
    PCI-32bit slots) for the CDROM. The hard drive is an Segate 10GB IDE,
    plugged in as /dev/hda. I'm pretty sure the hardware is OK as I ran
    VMS on it for years (except with a SCSI hard drive).

    Mike

  2. Re: Linux on Alpha PWS Miata network hanging

    wmr282@hotmail.com (w m r) writes:

    > What happens is ping starts showing 'destination unreachable' after a
    > few seconds while doing an FTP or using Netscape. The FTP or Netscape
    > will just hang. Everything else in the OS keeps working. If I do a
    > /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart, it starts working again.

    I don't know what could be causing this.

    > Other plug-in cards I have are a S3-Trio64 video card (in one of the
    > PCI-64bit slots) and a Qlogic ISP-1020 SCSI card (in one of the
    > PCI-32bit slots) for the CDROM. The hard drive is an Segate 10GB IDE,
    > plugged in as /dev/hda.

    Never use a hard disk on the onboard IDE in a Miata. Miatas have a
    chipset bug that causes data corruption on DMA transfers to anything
    not in one of the 32-bit PCI slots. The IDE onboard IDE controller is
    also a rather bad one. It's there only for the CDROM.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  3. Re: Linux on Alpha PWS Miata network hanging

    w m r wrote:
    > I'm trying to install Linux on a Digital PWS Alpha Miata. I am
    > network, it hangs under load.
    >
    > What happens is ping starts showing 'destination unreachable' after a
    > few seconds while doing an FTP or using Netscape. The FTP or Netscape
    > will just hang. Everything else in the OS keeps working. If I do a
    > /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart, it starts working again.
    >
    > I went to kernel.org and got the 2.4.23 kernel, same thing.
    >
    > I am using the built-in ethernet (21143) with the tulip.o driver. I
    > also tried an i82257 board (in one of the PCI-32bit slots) with the
    > eepro100.o driver, same result.
    >
    > Other plug-in cards I have are a S3-Trio64 video card (in one of the
    > PCI-64bit slots) and a Qlogic ISP-1020 SCSI card (in one of the
    > PCI-32bit slots) for the CDROM. The hard drive is an Segate 10GB IDE,
    > plugged in as /dev/hda. I'm pretty sure the hardware is OK as I ran
    > VMS on it for years (except with a SCSI hard drive).
    >
    > Mike

    Have you noticed any odd resource consumption during these periods? Is
    CPU utilization through the roof on any one process, or is a particular
    slab cache growing more rapidly that you would normally expect?

    --
    /************************************************** *
    *Neil Horman

  4. Re: Linux on Alpha PWS Miata network hanging

    mru@kth.se (Måns Rullgård) wrote in message news:...
    > wmr282@hotmail.com (w m r) writes:

    > > Other plug-in cards I have are a S3-Trio64 video card (in one of the
    > > PCI-64bit slots) and a Qlogic ISP-1020 SCSI card (in one of the
    > > PCI-32bit slots) for the CDROM. The hard drive is an Segate 10GB IDE,
    > > plugged in as /dev/hda.

    > Never use a hard disk on the onboard IDE in a Miata. Miatas have a
    > chipset bug that causes data corruption on DMA transfers to anything
    > not in one of the 32-bit PCI slots. The IDE onboard IDE controller is
    > also a rather bad one. It's there only for the CDROM.

    Hmm, I thought the bug was with the 64-bit PCI slots for DMA's that
    crossed page boundaries. Your way would also give trouble with the
    built-in tulip chip, but I tried a plug-in Intel board with same
    result. Anyway, I pounded the ^%$^%$ out of that hard drive with VMS
    for years (as a data drive) doing nightly backups.

    I do have another Miata at home I could lug in to rule out hw problem,
    but like I said, that system has worked with VMS for a long time. I
    suppose I could also try a SCSI disk to see if the problem goes away!

    Thanks for responding.

    Mike

  5. Re: Linux on Alpha PWS Miata network hanging

    wmr282@hotmail.com (w m r) writes:

    >> Never use a hard disk on the onboard IDE in a Miata. Miatas have a
    >> chipset bug that causes data corruption on DMA transfers to anything
    >> not in one of the 32-bit PCI slots. The IDE onboard IDE controller is
    >> also a rather bad one. It's there only for the CDROM.

    > Hmm, I thought the bug was with the 64-bit PCI slots for DMA's that
    > crossed page boundaries.

    The onboard chips are logically on the same bus as the 64-bit slots.
    The 32-bit slots are behind a bridge, that somehow prevents the bug.

    > Your way would also give trouble with the built-in tulip chip, but I
    > tried a plug-in Intel board with same result.

    An Ethernet frame is shorter than one page, so there's no problem
    there.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  6. Re: Linux on Alpha PWS Miata network hanging

    Mike:

    There's a known bug in SRM when the onboard ethernet port is set to
    "Auto-Negotiate". Try setting it to Twisted-Pair.

    TomC

    w m r wrote:

    > I'm trying to install Linux on a Digital PWS Alpha Miata. I am
    > network, it hangs under load.
    >
    > What happens is ping starts showing 'destination unreachable' after a
    > few seconds while doing an FTP or using Netscape. The FTP or Netscape
    > will just hang. Everything else in the OS keeps working. If I do a
    > /etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart, it starts working again.
    >
    > I went to kernel.org and got the 2.4.23 kernel, same thing.
    >
    > I am using the built-in ethernet (21143) with the tulip.o driver. I
    > also tried an i82257 board (in one of the PCI-32bit slots) with the
    > eepro100.o driver, same result.
    >
    > Other plug-in cards I have are a S3-Trio64 video card (in one of the
    > PCI-64bit slots) and a Qlogic ISP-1020 SCSI card (in one of the
    > PCI-32bit slots) for the CDROM. The hard drive is an Segate 10GB IDE,
    > plugged in as /dev/hda. I'm pretty sure the hardware is OK as I ran
    > VMS on it for years (except with a SCSI hard drive).
    >
    > Mike

  7. Re: Linux on Alpha PWS Miata network hanging

    mru@kth.se (Måns Rullgård) wrote in message news:...
    > wmr282@hotmail.com (w m r) writes:
    >
    > >> Never use a hard disk on the onboard IDE in a Miata. Miatas have a
    > >> chipset bug that causes data corruption on DMA transfers to anything
    > >> not in one of the 32-bit PCI slots. The IDE onboard IDE controller is
    > >> also a rather bad one. It's there only for the CDROM.

    > > Hmm, I thought the bug was with the 64-bit PCI slots for DMA's that
    > > crossed page boundaries.

    > The onboard chips are logically on the same bus as the 64-bit slots.
    > The 32-bit slots are behind a bridge, that somehow prevents the bug.
    >
    > > Your way would also give trouble with the built-in tulip chip, but I
    > > tried a plug-in Intel board with same result.

    > An Ethernet frame is shorter than one page, so there's no problem
    > there.

    .... assuming they never cross page boundary.

    Also hangs with a SCSI hard disk (Segate 4Gig). My CD is SCSI also.

    Mike

  8. Re: Linux on Alpha PWS Miata network hanging

    wmr282@hotmail.com (w m r) writes:

    > mru@kth.se (Måns Rullgård) wrote in message news:...

    >> > Hmm, I thought the bug was with the 64-bit PCI slots for DMA's that
    >> > crossed page boundaries.

    >> The onboard chips are logically on the same bus as the 64-bit slots.
    >> The 32-bit slots are behind a bridge, that somehow prevents the bug.
    >>
    >> > Your way would also give trouble with the built-in tulip chip, but I
    >> > tried a plug-in Intel board with same result.

    >> An Ethernet frame is shorter than one page, so there's no problem
    >> there.

    > ... assuming they never cross page boundary.

    The driver can easily assure that it doesn't.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

+ Reply to Thread