Comcast has two sites: one based on Solaris and Linux, the other onWindows - Guess which one was hacked? - Linux

This is a discussion on Comcast has two sites: one based on Solaris and Linux, the other onWindows - Guess which one was hacked? - Linux ; http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.com http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.net "Two teenagers who say they hijacked Comcast's Web portal on Thursday also say they expect to be arrested for their actions." [...] http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956165-7.html -RFH...

  1. Comcast has two sites: one based on Solaris and Linux, the other onWindows - Guess which one was hacked?

    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.com
    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.net

    "Two teenagers who say they hijacked Comcast's Web portal on Thursday
    also say they expect to be arrested for their actions."
    [...]

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956165-7.html

    -RFH

  2. Re: Comcast has two sites: one based on Solaris and Linux, theother onWindows - Guess which one was hacked?

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:34:41 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.com
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.net
    >
    > "Two teenagers who say they hijacked Comcast's Web portal on Thursday
    > also say they expect to be arrested for their actions." [...]
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956165-7.html
    >
    > -RFH

    Based on that article, it sounds like they hacked Network Solutions.

  3. Re: Comcast has two sites: one based on Solaris and Linux, the other on Windows - Guess which one was hacked?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.unix.solaris.]
    On 2008-05-31, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.com
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.net
    >
    > "Two teenagers who say they hijacked Comcast's Web portal on Thursday
    > also say they expect to be arrested for their actions."
    > [...]
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956165-7.html
    >
    > -RFH

    They didn't hack the site, they hacked Comcast's domain registration
    with Network Solutions, enabling them to substitute their DNS
    servers for Comcast's own by changing Network Solutions' DNS server
    info. I'm not sure of exactly how they accomplished this, except
    that Comcast's domain was anywhere near expiring, so they didn't do
    it by just picking up the domain after Comcast let it lapse. While
    I agree that Solaris and Linux are considerably more resistant to
    being hacked than Windows, this one has to be chalked up to Network
    Solution's awful change management and security, and not any weakness
    in Windows.

    --
    Christopher Mattern

    NOTICE
    Thank you for noticing this new notice
    Your noticing it has been noted
    And will be reported to the authorities

  4. Re: Comcast has two sites: one based on Solaris and Linux, the otheron Windows - Guess which one was hacked?

    alt wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:34:41 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >

    >> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.com
    >> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.net
    >>
    >> "Two teenagers who say they hijacked Comcast's Web portal on Thursday
    >> also say they expect to be arrested for their actions." [...]
    >>
    >> http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956165-7.html
    >>
    >> -RFH
    >>

    > Based on that article, it sounds like they hacked Network Solutions.

    Network Solutions got rid of Solaris years ago and now runs mainly a
    Linux shop.
    So to answer the question "which one got hacked", the answer is Linux,
    but not at Comcast,
    but at Network Solutions.

  5. Re: Comcast has two sites: one based on Solaris and Linux, the otheron Windows - Guess which one was hacked?

    On May 31, 3:50 am, Chris Mattern wrote:
    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.unix.solaris.]
    > On 2008-05-31, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >

    > >http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.com
    > >http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.net

    > > "Two teenagers who say they hijacked Comcast's Web portal on Thursday
    > > also say they expect to be arrested for their actions."
    > > [...]

    > >http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956165-7.html

    > > -RFH

    > They didn't hack the site, they hacked Comcast's domain registration
    > with Network Solutions, enabling them to substitute their DNS
    > servers for Comcast's own by changing Network Solutions' DNS server
    > info. I'm not sure of exactly how they accomplished this, except
    > that Comcast's domain was anywhere near expiring, so they didn't do
    > it by just picking up the domain after Comcast let it lapse. While
    > I agree that Solaris and Linux are considerably more resistant to
    > being hacked than Windows, this one has to be chalked up to Network
    > Solution's awful change management and security, and not any weakness
    > in Windows.
    >
    > --
    > Christopher Mattern

    Wired magazine published an exclusive interview with one of the
    hackers. He claims that they took advantage of a security hole at
    Network Solutions, one that still exists but he refused to disclose.
    Network Solutions denies it.

    -RFH

  6. Re: Comcast has two sites: one based on Solaris and Linux, the other on Windows - Guess which one was hacked?

    ____/ Ramon F Herrera on Saturday 31 May 2008 18:00 : \____

    > On May 31, 3:50 am, Chris Mattern wrote:
    >> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.unix.solaris.]
    >> On 2008-05-31, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>

    >> >http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.com
    >> >http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.net

    >> > "Two teenagers who say they hijacked Comcast's Web portal on Thursday
    >> > also say they expect to be arrested for their actions."
    >> > [...]

    >> >http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956165-7.html

    >> > -RFH

    >> They didn't hack the site, they hacked Comcast's domain registration
    >> with Network Solutions, enabling them to substitute their DNS
    >> servers for Comcast's own by changing Network Solutions' DNS server
    >> info. I'm not sure of exactly how they accomplished this, except
    >> that Comcast's domain was anywhere near expiring, so they didn't do
    >> it by just picking up the domain after Comcast let it lapse. While
    >> I agree that Solaris and Linux are considerably more resistant to
    >> being hacked than Windows, this one has to be chalked up to Network
    >> Solution's awful change management and security, and not any weakness
    >> in Windows.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Christopher Mattern

    > Wired magazine published an exclusive interview with one of the
    > hackers. He claims that they took advantage of a security hole at
    > Network Solutions, one that still exists but he refused to disclose.
    > Network Solutions denies it.
    >
    > -RFH

    Heise says it's SSL.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
    22:05:01 up 46 days, 20:17, 4 users, load average: 0.20, 0.28, 0.64

  7. Re: Comcast has two sites: one based on Solaris and Linux, the other on Windows - Guess which one was hacked?

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:34:41 -0700 (PDT), Ramon F Herrera wrote:

    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.com
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.net
    >
    > "Two teenagers who say they hijacked Comcast's Web portal on Thursday
    > also say they expect to be arrested for their actions."
    > [...]
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956165-7.html
    >
    > -RFH

    Network Solutions got hacked.

    They run Linux...

    Nice self nuke!!
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: Comcast has two sites: one based on Solaris and Linux, theother on Windows - Guess which one was hacked?

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 11:15:22 -0400, Julie Altswitch wrote:

    > alt wrote:
    >> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:34:41 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.com
    >>> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.net
    >>>
    >>> "Two teenagers who say they hijacked Comcast's Web portal on Thursday
    >>> also say they expect to be arrested for their actions." [...]
    >>>
    >>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956165-7.html
    >>>
    >>> -RFH
    >>>

    >> Based on that article, it sounds like they hacked Network Solutions.
    >>

    > Network Solutions got rid of Solaris years ago and now runs mainly a
    > Linux shop.
    > So to answer the question "which one got hacked", the answer is Linux,
    > but not at Comcast,
    > but at Network Solutions.

    Without knowing more about the hack, it's tough to say. I wouldn't be
    surprised with Netsol's track record that the system itself wasn't
    hacked, but the applications that netsol has written (or the people were
    "hacked").

    I've had this happen to me once. I stopped using Netsol as a result.

  9. Re: Comcast has two sites: one based on Solaris and Linux, the other on Windows - Guess which one was hacked?

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 11:15:22 -0400, Julie Altswitch wrote:

    > alt wrote:
    >> On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:34:41 -0700, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.com
    >>> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...ww.comcast.net
    >>>
    >>> "Two teenagers who say they hijacked Comcast's Web portal on Thursday
    >>> also say they expect to be arrested for their actions." [...]
    >>>
    >>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956165-7.html

    >> Based on that article, it sounds like they hacked Network Solutions.
    >>

    > Network Solutions got rid of Solaris years ago and now runs mainly a
    > Linux shop. So to answer the question "which one got hacked", the answer
    > is Linux, but not at Comcast, but at Network Solutions.

    To REALLY answer the question, they used a know DNS/BIND exploit that
    Network Solutions could have easily prevented.

    --
    "Remain calm, we're here to protect you!"

  10. Re: Comcast has two sites: one based on Solaris and Linux, the other on Windows - Guess which one was hacked?

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic