[News] [Rival] India Files an Appeal Against Microsoft OOXML!!! - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] India Files an Appeal Against Microsoft OOXML!!!

    India and Brazil File Appeals Against OOXML Standardization

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | India and Brazil have filed appeals against the adoption of the
    | Microsoft-sponsored Office Open XML (OOXML) document format as an
    | international standard.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...rdization.html

    That makes at least 3 countries, including 2 among the 3 biggest populations of
    the world.

    Recent:

    OpenXML: The Brazilian appeal and the appeal of a Brazilian

    ,----[ Quote*]
    | At the end of this presentation, the representative of a company (guess
    | which ???) has taken the line of defense for his companions in the room: “I
    | am not prepared, at this meeting, to evaluate the arguments and decide. I
    | need more time. “It is worth highlighting that this meeting was scheduled on
    | May 8th (date of our last meeting) and officially convened on May 19th (lack
    | of time !!! again !!!).
    | From this point on, I understand that the meeting has become almost a
    | hospice, because it is insane to accept that at this point of our lifes,
    | after all the things that we saw, the main argument of opposition is
    | the “lack of condition to discuss”.
    |
    | I say that became a hospice, because the OpenXML supporters was tied to a
    | fragile and indecent argument that “we’re not prepared to discuss,” saying
    | that in this way, Brazil could not make the protest against the whole process
    | by “lack of consensus” (as if consensus and unanimity was the same thing).
    | Just to clarify, at the ISO directives “Consensus is the absence of reasoned
    | opposition.”
    |
    | The final decision is that we will only “protest” against the BRM and against
    | the lack of final version of the specification text, pretending that we
    | didn’t identified any problems during the Fast-Track, as if we were a bunch
    | of blind and incompetent idiots. The ABNT undertook to send our “protest” to
    | ISO on this Thursday.
    `----

    http://homembit.com/2008/05/openxml-...brazilian.html

    SAfrica protests Microsoft Office 2007 file standard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | South Africa is appealing a decision to make Microsoft Corp.'s Office Open
    | XML format an internationally recognized standard for electronic documents,
    | officials said Wednesday.
    |
    | The South African Bureau of Standards sent a letter of protest to two
    | Geneva-based organizations that held a worldwide ballot on Microsoft's
    | application last month, complaining that the process was poorly conducted and
    | rushed.
    `----

    http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h...BkaKgD90UP1300

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] India Files an Appeal Against Microsoft OOXML!!!

    > India and Brazil File Appeals Against OOXML Standardization

    [...]
    > That makes at least 3 countries, including 2 among the 3 biggest
    > populations of the world.

    Microsoft know it's over. They don't even support OOXML in their own
    Office suit.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    19:27:18 up 161 days, 16:03, 5 users, load average: 0.77, 0.58, 0.59

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] India Files an Appeal Against Microsoft OOXML!!!

    ____/ Homer on Friday 30 May 2008 19:27 : \____

    >> India and Brazil File Appeals Against OOXML Standardization

    > [...]
    >> That makes at least 3 countries, including 2 among the 3 biggest
    >> populations of the world.

    > Microsoft know it's over. They don't even support OOXML in their own
    > Office suit.

    Who would? Have you ever tried putting 8000 pages in your suit [sic]?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | INQredible Hacktivism
    Tasks: 160 total, 1 running, 159 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] India Files an Appeal Against Microsoft OOXML!!!

    > ____/ Homer on Friday 30 May 2008 19:27 : \____

    >> Microsoft know it's over. They don't even support OOXML in their
    >> own Office suit.

    > Who would? Have you ever tried putting 8000 pages in your suit [sic]?

    [groan]

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    23:39:24 up 161 days, 20:15, 6 users, load average: 0.34, 0.27, 0.20

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] India Files an Appeal Against Microsoft OOXML!!!

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Fri, 30 May 2008 23:39:59 +0100
    :
    >> ____/ Homer on Friday 30 May 2008 19:27 : \____

    >>> Microsoft know it's over. They don't even support OOXML in their
    >>> own Office suit.

    >> Who would? Have you ever tried putting 8000 pages in your suit [sic]?

    > [groan]

    http://www.fas.org/irp/offdocs/walsh/chap_05.htm

    specifically section 8.

    :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net -- insert random set of boobs here
    People think that libraries are safe. They're wrong. They have ideas.
    (Also occasionally ectoplasmic slime and cute librarians.)