Sun xVM VirtualBox Breaks Five Million Download Mark; First Free, Open Source
Hypervisor to Offer Support for All Major Operating Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems Erica Pereira, 650-264-2329 erica.pereira@sun.com Sun
| Microsystems, Inc. (Nasdaq:JAVA) today announced that Sun(TM) xVM
| VirtualBox(TM), a high performance, free and open source desktop
| virtualization software, has surpassed five million downloads in just 18
| months. With xVM VirtualBox software, end users can access their favorite
| software using any operating system and developers can...
`----

http://www.pr-inside.com/sun-xvm-vir...on-r614011.htm

That's a lot of people who must have been running GNU/Linux not with the better
known hypervisors. How many people out there virtualise Linux... or install it
with Wubi?

When Dubie met Wubi

,----[ Quote ]
| Loyal readers of this column will remember our four-part series on installing
| one of the more popular distros of Linux, Ubuntu. Now that Ubuntu 8.4 LTS
| (Long-Term Support) has been released, with Firefox 3, you might be curious
| about how to check out and possibly use this upstart OS, but you're reticent
| because of all the nastiness you've heard about partitioning your hard drive,
| which once fell into the realm of Upper Geekdom.
|
| Worry no more. Wubi, a free Ubuntu installer for Windows, handles all that
| folderol. It installs Ubuntu as though it were another application on your
| hard drive, and you can delete it at your leisure. You can then test drive
| Ubuntu and its open-source applications, then switch back to Windows if you
| so desire.
`----

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/...00/-1/business

The growth of GNU/Linux is quiet and not really trackable (evidence below).

Recent (last week):

Famelix and the dangers of combating Windows

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/135104