[News] Gartner 'Predicting' the Obvious in Server O/S Market (Linux Growth) - Linux

  1. [News] Gartner 'Predicting' the Obvious in Server O/S Market (Linux Growth)

    Enterprise Unix Roundup: Disruption in the OS Market? Hardly

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Not exactly a surprise. Nor was the announcement's claim that virtualization
    | would also prove to be disruptive to the server market in the near- to
    | mid-term future.
    |
    | I know, scary accurate isn't it? It's like predicting the sun will come up
    | tomorrow.
    `----

    http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3749666

    “Analysts sell out - that’s their business model… But they are very concerned
    that they never look like they are selling out, so that makes them very
    prickly to work with.”

    –Microsoft, internal document

    http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX03096.pdf

    Recent:

    Reality Check: What does Gartner really DO?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I have this notion to write a series of columns from time to time under the
    | title "Reality Check" -- columns intended to explain how the world of
    | Information Technology actually functions. Because like any other entrenched,
    | complex, and often closeted industry, things in IT don't really work the way
    | many people think they do. I'm guessing the Vatican is a bit like that, too.
    | So I'll be looking at various IT players and their roles and trying to put
    | them into perspective, much as I did recently with a column or two about the
    | role of computer consultants. This week the topic is Gartner Inc., or rather
    | all the Gartner-like operations that give advice about technology to
    | America's largest businesses: what do these guys actually DO?
    |
    | Not much of real value I'm afraid -- at least of value in my view.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Into this knowledge vacuum come the vendors, who want to sell stuff, and the
    | consultants like Gartner, Forrester, IDC, and the Yankee Group, who need IT
    | managers to feel uncertain about every decision except the decision to buy
    | something, anything. Then look at the number of "research reports" that are
    | commissioned by vendors. Uh-oh.
    |
    | The five P's of IT are Pride, Prejudice, Politics, Price, and Performance,
    | with the last two being by far the least important. Consultants like Gartner
    | are very useful for minding the pride and politics, their real function being
    | to provide $2 billion worth of IT management CYA per year.
    `----

    http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...16_004925.html

    PC deal could save public sector billions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Suffolk told Gartner, “I think we have fundamentally failed on a worldwide
    | basis as an IT industry to understand the cost of what we do. And I roundly
    | blame Gartner for this, because you guys are the ones who come up with TCO
    | [total cost of ownership] benchmarking. It has become a self-fulfilling
    | prophecy.
    |
    | “So, I go out and I pick boring desktop infrastructure. What price do you
    | think the suppliers broadly pitch? You will not be shocked to know that it is
    | somewhere around the Gartner TCO benchmark.”
    `----

    http://www.computerweekly.com/Articl...r-billions.htm

    Need some data to support your cause? Hire an analyst

    | CIO.com raises an important issue about the integrity of research being done
    | by industry analysts. Namely, if a sponsor pays for the research, do they get
    | favorable treatment in that research? *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | I'm not suggesting that the research is corrupted. I'm just suggesting that
    | it's hard to remove the taint of sponsored research. Just take a look at
    | Gartner's "Hype Cycle" on open source, which is woefully inaccurate, probably
    | in part because Gartner gets its information from the vendors who sponsor its
    | research, not the customers who are buying into open source in droves. * *
    |
    | So, the next time you read a report, blog entry, or article, consider who
    | pays the writer (including when reading this blog).
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-989...bj=TheOpenRoad

    http://advice.cio.com/thomas_wailgum..._by?page=0%2C0

    Gartner analyst: OOXML important domino

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Businessweek (Jennifer L Schenker) quoted Gartner analyst Michael Silver last
    | week who puts OOXML in a wider commercial perspective...
    |
    | "appear more open". This is how Gartner views the credibility of the new
    | [OOXML] openness....
    |
    | Look how optimistic Gartner's Silver is...
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-44362...portant-domino

    NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Just days after banning Enderle from discussing Microsoft because
    | he has Microsoft as a client, the Times quoted Gartner analyst
    | Michael Silver and AMR Research analyst Jim Murphy in a story
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | about Microsoft's Windows and Office software.
    |
    | If the paper would prefer not to quote an analyst who has
    | experience with a client, it did a poor job. Silver is Gartner's
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | vice president in charge of client computing. Microsoft happens to
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | do lots of business with Gartner and also happens to have a
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | client-software monopoly. We're guessing that Silver knows
    | Microsoft's products well and has direct involvement with the
    | company.
    |
    | And, sure enough, he appears a number of times on Microsoft's
    | own site and thousands of times in stories about Microsoft.
    |
    | Jim Murphy - wait for it - covers Microsoft too and is even more
    | prolific than Silver.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Part of the problem stems from the reticence of companies such as
    | IDC and Gartner to reveal their clients. That should make everyone
    | nervous, but it doesn't. So called objective technology publications
    | keep publishing material bought by vendors without telling you this.
    | They're also too lazy or scared to ignore the likes of Gartner and
    | IDC until the firms change their disclosure rules.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

    Buy Vista or die

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Gartner research vice president Michael Silver said that outfits have delayed
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | their Vista migrations to the point of stupidity and now some are considering
    | late 2008 or even 2009, while others mull skipping the OS completely. *
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...2/07/vista-die

    Other Underreported Stories: Analyst Integrity?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There was a pretty interesting discussion with views on both sides. Some felt
    | that the rumors have been so persistent that, well, where there's smoke
    | there's fire. Others saying they have heard from someone who heard from
    | someone that once they started paying their exposure improved. Others saying
    | it's just like the rumors that magazine advertisers get better reviews, an
    | accusation that has been levied to Ziff-Davis publications, as well as
    | photography and stereo equipment magazines for years. * * *
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/openreso...tml?source=rss

    Credibility Of Analysts

    | Research firms make their living by offering expert advice to business and
    | technology people about the best ways to invest their IT dollars. It can be
    | invaluable insight, but only if that analysis comes with no strings attached.
    | And on that, there's no guarantee. *
    |
    | Forrester, Gartner, IDC, and others insist their output is squeaky clean, yet
    | they also rake in millions providing services to the very same companies they
    | monitor, heavyweights like Cisco, IBM, Microsoft, and Oracle. Which leads to
    | a question that continues to dog the research firms: How much influence do
    | technology vendors have over their work? * *
    `----

    http://www.informationweek.com/showA...lyst+influence

    http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowa...00/PX03096.pdf

    "Consultants: These guys are your best bets as moderators. Get a well-known
    consultant on your side early, but don’t let him publish anything blatantly
    pro-Microsoft. Then, get him to propose himself to the conference organizers
    as a moderator, whenever a panel opportunity comes up. Since he’s well-known,
    but apparently independent, he’ll be accepted - one less thing for the
    constantly-overworked conference organizer to worry about, right?"

    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Microsoft

    End of signed message

  2. Re: [News] Gartner 'Predicting' the Obvious in Server O/S Market (Linux Growth)

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message

    > Enterprise Unix Roundup: Disruption in the OS Market? Hardly
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Not exactly a surprise. Nor was the announcement's claim that
    > virtualization
    > | would also prove to be disruptive to the server market in the near- to
    > | mid-term future.
    > |
    > | I know, scary accurate isn't it? It's like predicting the sun will come
    > up
    > | tomorrow.
    > `----

    It's certainly the obvious. Linux continues to cannabalize old-school Unix.

    The first big change the report cites is the ongoing Unix-to-Linux migration
    that's set to continue for the next few years.

    Linux continues to substitute Unix in the server OS market because its
    cost-to-performance ratio, high availability of support resources and
    consequent lower cost of ownership appeals to users."