[News] [SOT] Big Media Bullies Attack Legal Video Downloads - Linux

  1. [News] [SOT] Big Media Bullies Attack Legal Video Downloads

    Media police assault takes down legit video website

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | BitTorrent watchdog MediaDefender is once again taking heat after it was
    | accused of launching a pernicious attack that brought down a web-based
    | distributor of legal video.
    |
    | Jim Louderback, chief executive of Revision3, said in this blog post that the
    | FBI is investigating the assault, which at points flooded his site with more
    | than 8,000 SYN packets a second. The attack, which lasted through the
    | Memorial Day weekend in the US, was enough to bring down the company's public
    | facing website, its RSS server and its internal email system.
    |
    | The packets began appearing on Saturday and were directed at port 20000,
    | which happens to be the entry point for a BitTorrent tracking server
    | Revision3 uses to distribute videos it has the legal rights to make
    | available. They came primarily from machines that brazenly bore
    | MediaDefender's IP address and didn't let up until sometime on Tuesday.
    |
    | "Revision3 suffered measurable harm to its business due to that flood of
    | packets, as the attacks on our legitimate and legal Torrent Tracking server
    | spilled over into our entire internet infrastructure," Louderback
    | wrote. "Thus we were unable to serve videos and advertising through much of
    | the weekend."
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...ks_legit_site/

    In Revision3 DOS outage, has Hollywood gone too far?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A company that legitimately distributes its video programming via
    | peer-to-peer is shut down for three days last weekend after being pummeled
    | with traffic. The likely culprit: a company paid by the major movie studios
    | and record labels to fight piracy. What's wrong with this picture?
    |
    | It was Memorial Day weekend and Revision3 was scrambling to get its Web TV
    | network back up. Its servers were being bombarded with so much traffic, they
    | were shut down in what is known as a denial-of-service outage. That meant no
    | Diggnation or Tekzilla--popular Web shows for a generation of tech-savvy
    | consumers who get their news and entertainment from the Internet instead of
    | TV.
    `----

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-99...=2547-1_3-0-20

    How long before they intercept Linux ISOs? Creative Commons stuff? They are
    above the law. They buys laws. They are crooks. In suits.

    Recent:

    International copyright talks seek BitTorrent-killer laws

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ACTA might also seek to reanimate the corpse of DRM software by proposing
    | legal "remedies against circumvention of technological protection measures
    | used by copyright owners and the trafficking of circumvention devices".
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/27/acta_leak/

    The Struggles of France's Three Strikes Law

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As 2008 began, the international music industry was proudly predicting the
    | dawning of a new age of co-operation between rightsholders, Internet
    | companies and governments. The dynamic new President of France, Nicolas
    | Sarkozy, together with Denis Olivennes, the head of France's largest consumer
    | electronics and media retailer, had announced a new policy of "graduated
    | response" for the French Net. Users accused of repeated copyright
    | infringement online would be first warned, then suspended from the online
    | world, and finally banned for a year if they did not tow the line. Music
    | industry representatives heralded it as a model that should be imitated
    | across the globe: in IFPI's 2008 report, its CEO John Kennedy said this was
    | the year that "ISP responsibility" for protecting the music industry "becomes
    | a reality".
    |
    | Six months on from the original Olivennes report, with growing objections
    | across Europe, collapsing support for Sarkozy's administration at home, and
    | still no "three strikes" law on any statute books, the entertainment industry
    | is getting a little antsy. Last week, the French RIAA, le Syndicat national
    | de l'édition phonographique (SNEP), announced a deadline to Sarkozy's
    | ministers.
    `----

    http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/05...ee-strikes-law

    Related:

    Sarkozy’s broadband tax plan snagged by Eurocrats

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | THE EU COMMISSION has warned that France’s quest for universal internet
    | access would be hampered by a presidential proposal to tax broadband usage. *
    | The plan is to supplement the licence fee for public broadcast television and
    | radio which has a funding shortfall due to the decision to abolish
    | advertising in order to 'raise standards'. *
    |
    | Speaking in Paris this week, EU Telecoms Commissioner Viviane Reding,
    | condemned President Sarkozy’s proposal arguing it contradicted his own
    | ambition to make broadband available to all French people. *
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-telco-debacle

    Sarkozy intervenes in France to revert the OOXML position

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Confidential sources say that President Sarkozy has intervened himself in the
    | French position on Microsoft OOXML, asking members of the committee to revert
    | their position, and support an abstention. Our sources say he was approached
    | by a lobbyist during his 3-days trip in England. The intervention has been
    | made on Friday. * *
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50670...ooxml-position

    Europe rejects plan to criminalize file-sharing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | France's so-called Oliviennes strategy to combat copyright abuse includes
    | a "three strikes and you are out" approach: offenders lose the right to an
    | Internet account after being caught sharing copyright-protected music over
    | the Internet for a third time. *
    `----

    Sweden Rejects Sarkozy’s War on File Sharing

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | French President Nicolas Sarkozy wants to disconnect European file sharers
    | from the Internet. The idea is already in the process of being realized in
    | France, and will according to Sarkozy be a step toward “a civilized Internet”
    | where ISPs watch the information that their customers exchange. *
    `----

    http://sigfridinenglish.wordpress.co...-file-sharing/

    RIAA, MPAA urge pro-copyright vows from presidential candidates

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | One question, for instance, asks: "How would you promote the progress of
    | science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding
    | and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment?" *
    `----

    France set to experience a revolution in public broadcast television

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | French president Nicolas Sarkozy wants to ban advertising on public
    | television and replace the income stream with a tax on mobile phones and
    | Internet accounts. "Our national television must provide quality and access
    | to culture; it must not be shaped solely by commercial considerations," said
    | Sarkozy in Paris on Tuesday. * *
    `----

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] Big Media Bullies Attack Legal Video Downloads

    > Media police assault takes down legit video website

    Denial of service attacks are illegal in the US under 12 different
    statutes, including the Economic Espionage Act and the Computer Fraud
    and Abuse Act.
    Let's hope these thugs finally get shut down, now they've been exposed
    as the criminal they really are. Those who employ them should be equally
    culpable.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    20:10:44 up 161 days, 16:46, 6 users, load average: 0.21, 0.21, 0.18

  3. Re: [News] [SOT] Big Media Bullies Attack Legal Video Downloads

    ____/ Homer on Friday 30 May 2008 20:11 : \____

    >> Media police assault takes down legit video website

    > Denial of service attacks are illegal in the US under 12 different
    > statutes, including the Economic Espionage Act and the Computer Fraud
    > and Abuse Act.
    >

    > Let's hope these thugs finally get shut down, now they've been exposed
    > as the criminal they really are. Those who employ them should be equally
    > culpable.

    Are we being DOS attacked by a Microsoft employee?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Now I find it funny that a person that lives about 5 minutes from Redmond
    | which is the headquarters of Microsoft is DOS attacking us and I don't
    | believe that this is a coincidence.
    `----

    http://ajaxwidgets.com/Blogs/thomas/...tacked_by_a.bb

    Maybe these are human zombies, not just PC zombies... also:

    Bots Helped To Boost Microsoft Live Search Gains

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a blog post, Compete analyst Steve Willis attributed Microsoft's
    | search gains to prizes awarded to users participating in Live Search
    | Club, which features games that post queries to Microsoft's search
    | engine.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft is essentially being DDoSed by thousands of people hundreds
    | of times per minute, but they are mistaking this rise in traffic for
    | people actually using Live Search."
    `----

    Microsoft Corp. Droids R Us.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | /earth: file system full
    21:05:02 up 45 days, 19:17, 4 users, load average: 1.87, 1.63, 1.79