[News] Another Big Linux Win: Linux on Asus Laptop Boards - Linux

  1. [News] Another Big Linux Win: Linux on Asus Laptop Boards

    Splashtop Linux conquers Asus laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's a small step for an operating system, perhaps, but it could be another
    | giant leap for Linux. DeviceVM has announced that its Splashtop 'instant-on'
    | Linux is to appear on Asus laptops from this summer.
    |
    | The news follows the DeviceVM's recent coup of persuading the influential
    | Taiwanese PC company to embed Splashtop - which Asus calls 'Express Gate' -
    | on all its motherboards, out of the blue putting a type of Linux in millions
    | of mainstream computers for the first time.
    `----

    http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=352...339E4889EF36A6

    Asus to launch laptops with instant-on feature

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Five new laptop models from Asus will incorporate DeviceVM's Splashtop
    | instant-on software, the computer maker said Thursday at the Computex show in
    | Taipei, Taiwan.
    `----

    http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9954282-2.html

    There's another huge win for Linux coming this August. As Ozzie said yesterday
    (joining Ballmer), this is Microsoft's biggest threat.

    Recent:

    Asus to release desktop Eee PC on June 3

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Earlier this year, riding high on the success of its ultra-portable Eee PC,
    | Asus revealed plans to launch a whole family of Eee products including a
    | small form-factor desktop machine dubbed the E-DT.
    `----

    http://www.techspot.com/news/30191-a...on-june-3.html

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

    | to go with that.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Another Big Linux Win: Linux on Asus Laptop Boards

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Splashtop Linux conquers Asus laptops
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | It's a small step for an operating system, perhaps, but it could be
    > | another giant leap for Linux. DeviceVM has announced that its Splashtop
    > | 'instant-on' Linux is to appear on Asus laptops from this summer.
    > |
    > | The news follows the DeviceVM's recent coup of persuading the
    > | influential Taiwanese PC company to embed Splashtop - which Asus calls
    > | 'Express Gate' - on all its motherboards, out of the blue putting a type
    > | of Linux in millions of mainstream computers for the first time.
    > `----
    >
    > http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=352...339E4889EF36A6
    >
    > Asus to launch laptops with instant-on feature
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Five new laptop models from Asus will incorporate DeviceVM's Splashtop
    > | instant-on software, the computer maker said Thursday at the Computex
    > | show in Taipei, Taiwan.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9954282-2.html

    Interesting Ausus grabbing all the headlines with run away success of Linux
    on laptops and motherboards.

    Other taiwan manufacturers must somehow be shackled by micoshaft into not
    going the same competitive route.

    They should get together en-masse to discuss the micoshaft situation between
    them and take micoshaft to court for anti-trust violations AGAIN.

    I'm sure there is more here than meets the eye.

  3. Re: [News] Another Big Linux Win: Linux on Asus Laptop Boards

    ____/ 7 on Friday 30 May 2008 20:58 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Splashtop Linux conquers Asus laptops
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | It's a small step for an operating system, perhaps, but it could be
    >> | another giant leap for Linux. DeviceVM has announced that its Splashtop
    >> | 'instant-on' Linux is to appear on Asus laptops from this summer.
    >> |
    >> | The news follows the DeviceVM's recent coup of persuading the
    >> | influential Taiwanese PC company to embed Splashtop - which Asus calls
    >> | 'Express Gate' - on all its motherboards, out of the blue putting a type
    >> | of Linux in millions of mainstream computers for the first time.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=352...339E4889EF36A6
    >>
    >> Asus to launch laptops with instant-on feature
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Five new laptop models from Asus will incorporate DeviceVM's Splashtop
    >> | instant-on software, the computer maker said Thursday at the Computex
    >> | show in Taipei, Taiwan.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9954282-2.html

    > Interesting Ausus grabbing all the headlines with run away success of Linux
    > on laptops and motherboards.
    >
    > Other taiwan manufacturers must somehow be shackled by micoshaft into not
    > going the same competitive route.
    >
    > They should get together en-masse to discuss the micoshaft situation between
    > them and take micoshaft to court for anti-trust violations AGAIN.
    >
    > I'm sure there is more here than meets the eye.

    Asus has been _all over_ the news since they started working on Eee PC (Linux)
    and then some projects like SplashTop. They were barely visible before that
    (in the 'trade journals').

    It's a headache to some American companies, whose 'knowledge workers' (read:
    those exploiting modern-age slavery in $1/hour chip-sweat shops located in the
    east) have to reassess margins.

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open windows.
    ~Linus Torvalds
    Mem: 515500k total, 445360k used, 70140k free, 2804k buffers

+ Reply to Thread