[News] Microsoft "Hires Astroturfers" to Combat Linux "Cancer" - Linux

  1. [News] Microsoft "Hires Astroturfers" to Combat Linux "Cancer"

    Now Hiring - Astroturfer, apply at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Evidently, a "Senior Marketing Manager" has the responsibility of:
    |
    | * "assisting in defining and driving core marketing initiatives – most
    | specifically online & offline community-building"
    | * "further the dialogue on the value of the Microsoft platform to open
    | source audiences"
    | * "be a cornerstone for a global thought leadership website and will be
    | regularly featured in industry press around the world"
    | * "act as a visible external evangelist for Microsoft"
    |
    | Wow! That's all direct quotes from the job description. It is so blatant, I'm
    | beginning to wonder if it's some kind of joke. Particularly the 'evangelist'
    | line.
    |
    | Kind of like the famous Halloween documents, this posting really tips
    | Microsoft's hand and shows us exactly what they're thinking. After all the
    | smoke and mirrors over the deals with Linux distros Suse, Linspire, Xandross,
    | and Turbo Linux, this shows that those distros were in fact acquired in order
    | to be killed. It's not Linux that Microsoft wants, it's the customers.
    `----

    http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index....&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

    Related:

    Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://chronicle.com/data/articles.d...r/33a03001.htm

    http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,...-991184,0.html

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As you see, it's in French but it is short and sweet. *It refers to an
    | article published in the Swiss newspaper Le Temps on Monday (available for a
    | payment of 2.50 Swiss francs.) *But I find the Le Monde article
    | sufficient and can offer a translation:
    | *
    | * * *1,445: number of students in the world paid by Microsoft to
    | * * *promote favourable speech in their universities
    | *
    | * * *"How Microsoft has infiltrated the Swiss universities" was the
    | * * *title of the Monday Le Temps. *The Genevean newspaper pointed to
    | * * *these students charged with "forging links with their peers and
    | * * *the professors" to improve the image of Bill Gates' firm in the
    | * * *universities. *The program "Microsoft Student Partners" is not at
    | * * *all clandestine, it has an official Website at
    | * * *"http://student-partners.com". *It is no longer at all local: the
    | * * *1,445 students at the service of Microsoft are active in 102
    | * * *countries. *In France, more than 100 students carry the title MSP
    | * * *and correspond with the Microsoft teams during their whole time in
    | * * *school. *These French students have actively participated in the
    | * * *launch of the Vista operating system, organising 87 conferences
    | * * *and stands, leading 17 training sessions and moderating 42 blogs.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft "Hires Astroturfers" to Combat Linux "Cancer"

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Now Hiring - Astroturfer, apply at Microsoft
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Evidently, a "Senior Marketing Manager" has the responsibility of:
    > |
    > | * "assisting in defining and driving core marketing initiatives ?
    > | most specifically online & offline community-building"
    > | * "further the dialogue on the value of the Microsoft platform to
    > | open source audiences"
    > | * "be a cornerstone for a global thought leadership website and will
    > | be regularly featured in industry press around the world"
    > | * "act as a visible external evangelist for Microsoft"
    > |
    > | Wow! That's all direct quotes from the job description. It is so
    > | blatant, I'm beginning to wonder if it's some kind of joke. Particularly
    > | the 'evangelist' line.
    > |
    > | Kind of like the famous Halloween documents, this posting really tips
    > | Microsoft's hand and shows us exactly what they're thinking. After all
    > | the smoke and mirrors over the deals with Linux distros Suse, Linspire,
    > | Xandross, and Turbo Linux, this shows that those distros were in fact
    > | acquired in order to be killed. It's not Linux that Microsoft wants,
    > | it's the customers.
    > `----
    >
    > http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo

    index.php?title=now_hiring_astroturfer_apply_at_mi crosof&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

    Someone should sneak into those positions and relay out everything they
    are planning against Linux.

+ Reply to Thread