[News] Microsoft Watch Very Disappointed by Windows ME3 (7apourware, Codename "Roadend") - Linux

  1. [News] Microsoft Watch Very Disappointed by Windows ME3 (7apourware, Codename "Roadend")

    Eight Things About Windows 7

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 1. Windows 7 won't be much different from Windows Vista...
    |
    | 2. There's no new kernel or modular design...
    |
    | 3. The user interface won't radically change....
    `----

    Windows is dying. The codebase is as useful as that of Mac OS 9 (bar the
    unwanted DRM handcuffs).

    Days ago:

    Going out of business sale! Buy XP before it’s too late!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I don’t recall ever seeing any company advertising the ‘old’ product over
    | the ‘new’ product so strongly before, but Vista’s stink has grown so strong
    | that it makes good business sense to promote XP over Vista. Has anyone ever
    | been actually able to make a solid case for using Vista over XP? I haven’t
    | seen one.
    `----

    http://blogs.computerworld.com/going...e_its_too_late

    Are These Windows Transparent or Translucent?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Besides myth busting, there is Microsoft's desperate need to get out
    | something positive about Windows. That's not easy with all the negative Web
    | chatter about Vista and the constant nitpicking of Apple "Get a Mac" TV
    | commercials. Silence is golden only when there is no other noise. Given how
    | bad the Vista talk is, perhaps Microsoft executives think that they can get
    | away with talking Seven without causing too much sales harm to the current
    | operating system.
    |
    | That said, including today's reaffirmation of a ship date—"approximately
    | three years after the general availability of Windows Vista," according to
    | Chris' credited blog—any information risks freezing sales. I see extremes
    | rather than middle ground. Either Microsoft executives see that even limited
    | information disclosure can do little more harm, or they don't care—meaning
    | they've already given up on Windows Vista.
    `----

    http://tinyurl.com/6odkvq

    Related:

    What we do know about Windows 7

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Windows 7 will be a minor update to Vista — with “minor,” here, meaning as
    | less disruptive as possible to users and their applications. Microsoft has
    | said Windows 7 will use the same driver model that Vista did.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1413

    Windows 7: The information lockdown continues

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’m hearing increasing dissatisfaction from Microsoft customers, testers and
    | other sources typically in the insider track that Microsoft still hasn’t
    | shared any Windows 7 information. The silence is deafening — and
    | disconcerting — they say. As was the case with Internet Explorer 8, the issue
    | isn’t whether Microsoft’s Windows client team is sitting on its hands, doing
    | nothing; instead, the worry is that Microsoft is moving full-steam-ahead to
    | build a Windows 7 that won’t have a whole lot of input from outsiders. After
    | the compatibility and marketing nightmares that have plagued Vista, one would
    | think Microsoft might be interested in letting its users have more sway on
    | what they really want from a new version of Windows.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1406

    Microsoft Clears Gates-Induced Confusion about Windows 7

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This statement created widespread confusion as most people understood that
    | the final version of Windows 7 would be released next year, much earlier than
    | expected. However, since this was Gates talking, and with all the fuss
    | concerning Vista's failure on the market, people started wondering whether
    | Microsoft changed its plans and wants to speed up the release of Windows 7,
    | the next operating system from the Redmond company, due to replace Vista. * *
    |
    | However, a Microsoft spokesman told CNN that in fact the industry veteran was
    | talking about alpha or beta versions, as it usually happens, and not the
    | final product. *
    `----

    http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Micro...s_7_16026.html

    Microsoft : Windows 7 still in planning stage and will take approximately 3
    years to develop.

    ,----[ Quote ]

    http://www.winvistaclub.com/i7.html

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From nathanm Mon Oct 01 11:42:05 1990
    | To: billg; bradsi;
    | Subject: SPARC, MIPS & Compaq
    | DateL Tue Oct 02, 22:57:14 1990
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The purpose of announcing early like this is to freeze the market at the
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | OEM and ISV level. In this respect it is JUST like the original Windows
    | announcement ..
    |
    | One might worry that this will help Sun because we will just have
    | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | vaporware, that people will stop buying 486 machines, that we will have
    | ^^^^^^^^^
    | endorsed RISC but not delivered .. So, Scott, do you really think you
    | can fight that avalanche?
    `----

    http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowacons...LEX_0411_A.pdf

    Imaginary Innovations

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft, Intel and Motorola were especially vocal in promoting
    | alliances with media brands that, a year later, have fizzled or
    | haven't come to fruition at all.
    |
    | Last year, Microsoft pumped up the crowds about its URGE music
    | service, which it created in conjunction with Viacom's MTV. But
    | while MTV is just now beginning to promote the service, Microsoft
    | seems to have moved on in favor of the Zune Marketplace and the
    | potential of satellite TV on Media Center PCs and Xbox 360s.
    `----

    http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/04/vap...rtner=yahootix
    http://tinyurl.com/y8fdkr

    End of signed message

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Watch Very Disappointed by Windows ME3 (7apourware,Codename "Roadend")

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Eight Things About Windows 7
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | 1. Windows 7 won't be much different from Windows Vista...
    > |
    > | 2. There's no new kernel or modular design...
    > |
    > | 3. The user interface won't radically change....
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.microsoft-watch.com/conte...129TX1K0000535
    >
    > Windows is dying. The codebase is as useful as that of Mac OS 9 (bar the
    > unwanted DRM handcuffs).

    Interesting article. Some earlier articles indicated that 7 was going
    to be some kind of radical change from Vista and XP.

    If 7 won't be much different from Vista then I don't expect a general
    extension of XP licensing as I predicted earlier. MS is stuck with
    something like Vista and telling the truth slowly that Windows users are
    going to have to go that way. Those who can't or won't switch from XP
    to Vista are going to have to pay for both Vista and XP.

+ Reply to Thread