What OS and software do super facilities like CERN use? - Linux

This is a discussion on What OS and software do super facilities like CERN use? - Linux ; The liars^h^h^h "advocates" always talk about how linux is used for supercomputers as if that somehow matters. I guess they're interested in the 0.6% of households that own a supercomputer or something. A more important question is what OS do ...

  1. What OS and software do super facilities like CERN use?

    The liars^h^h^h "advocates" always talk about how linux is used for
    supercomputers as if that somehow matters. I guess they're interested in
    the 0.6% of households that own a supercomputer or something.

    A more important question is what OS do the "people" as in
    scientists/researchers at these super research facilities use? When a
    scientist sits down at his or her desk to analyze the data, what OS does
    their desktop computer boot?

    https://winservices.web.cern.ch/wins...s/Default.aspx

    In the bottom-right corner of the page there's a "Statistics" box. Click
    "Show" desktop statistics to see the desktop OS that's used by the
    thousands of people who work there.

    It also shows the stats for the Office version being used. I'm somewhat
    surprised how many people are running Open Office.

  2. Re: What OS and software do super facilities like CERN use?

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 08:53:56 -0400, "Ezekiel" wrote:

    >The liars^h^h^h "advocates" always talk about how linux is used for
    >supercomputers as if that somehow matters. I guess they're interested in
    >the 0.6% of households that own a supercomputer or something.
    >
    >A more important question is what OS do the "people" as in
    >scientists/researchers at these super research facilities use? When a
    >scientist sits down at his or her desk to analyze the data, what OS does
    >their desktop computer boot?
    >
    > https://winservices.web.cern.ch/wins...s/Default.aspx
    >
    >In the bottom-right corner of the page there's a "Statistics" box. Click
    >"Show" desktop statistics to see the desktop OS that's used by the
    >thousands of people who work there.
    >
    >It also shows the stats for the Office version being used. I'm somewhat
    >surprised how many people are running Open Office.
    >

    >** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    Equally interesting is that CERN, the folks who *invented* WWW, are
    using Microsoft Internet Information Server, at least on some of their
    servers, and that they did it since year 2001 at least:

    http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...es.web.cern.ch

  3. Re: What OS and software do super facilities like CERN use?

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:48:18 +0200, OK wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 May 2008 08:53:56 -0400, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    >

    >>The liars^h^h^h "advocates" always talk about how linux is used for
    >>supercomputers as if that somehow matters. I guess they're interested in
    >>the 0.6% of households that own a supercomputer or something.
    >>
    >>A more important question is what OS do the "people" as in
    >>scientists/researchers at these super research facilities use? When a
    >>scientist sits down at his or her desk to analyze the data, what OS does
    >>their desktop computer boot?
    >>
    >> https://winservices.web.cern.ch/wins...s/Default.aspx
    >>
    >>In the bottom-right corner of the page there's a "Statistics" box. Click
    >>"Show" desktop statistics to see the desktop OS that's used by the
    >>thousands of people who work there.
    >>
    >>It also shows the stats for the Office version being used. I'm somewhat
    >>surprised how many people are running Open Office.
    >>

    >>** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

    > Equally interesting is that CERN, the folks who *invented* WWW, are

    The "folks" that invented the Web is Tim Berners-Lee.

    > using Microsoft Internet Information Server, at least on some of their
    > servers, and that they did it since year 2001 at least:
    >
    > http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...es.web.cern.ch

    And the W3C, which Berners-Lee founded after he left CERN uses Apache on
    Linux.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: What OS and software do super facilities like CERN use?

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:48:18 +0200, OK wrote:
    >
    >> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...es.web.cern.ch

    > And the W3C, which Berners-Lee founded after he left CERN uses Apache on
    > Linux.

    I'm surprised they're sticking with Windows at CERN, too, since it
    doesn't really have great up-times.

    --
    We are not even close to finishing the basic dream of what the PC can be.
    -- Bill Gates

  5. Re: What OS and software do super facilities like CERN use?

    Linonut writes:

    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:48:18 +0200, OK wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...es.web.cern.ch

    >> And the W3C, which Berners-Lee founded after he left CERN uses Apache on
    >> Linux.

    > I'm surprised they're sticking with Windows at CERN, too, since it
    > doesn't really have great up-times.

    And you, Liarnut, have proof of this where?

  6. Re: What OS and software do super facilities like CERN use?

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:48:18 +0200, OK wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/graph?...es.web.cern.ch

    >> And the W3C, which Berners-Lee founded after he left CERN uses Apache on
    >> Linux.

    > I'm surprised they're sticking with Windows at CERN, too, since it
    > doesn't really have great up-times.

    They *are* trying to crash stuff...

  7. Re: What OS and software do super facilities like CERN use?

    On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:46:24 +0000, owl wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >> * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> And the W3C, which Berners-Lee founded after he left CERN uses Apache
    >>> on Linux.

    >> I'm surprised they're sticking with Windows at CERN, too, since it
    >> doesn't really have great up-times.
    >>

    > They *are* trying to crash stuff...

    .... OK... that was a good one ... :-)

    --