Another Ubuntu upgrade nightmare and disaster. - Linux

This is a discussion on Another Ubuntu upgrade nightmare and disaster. - Linux ; http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=206 So I followed these steps: * ran sudo update-manager * updated my machine to make sure I had all the latest 7.10 software * clicked on the Upgrade button * Go do something productive Well, at first look, the ...

  1. Another Ubuntu upgrade nightmare and disaster.

    http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=206

    So I followed these steps:

    * ran sudo update-manager
    * updated my machine to make sure I had all the latest 7.10 software
    * clicked on the Upgrade button
    * Go do something productive

    Well, at first look, the ugrade went very well. The machine booted up to X,
    I logged in, got on-line, and did most everything I always do. Very
    quickly, however, I hit a snag. I always set up my personal machines with
    two drives: An OS drive and a data drive. The data drive, as you can
    assume, holds all my data. I have data from years ago on said drive. But
    once I tried to access that drive I found it not accessible. It didn't take
    me long (after running the "dmesg" command) to find out that drives were
    now labeled differently un 8.04. Instead of /dev/hda or /dev/hdb I was
    seeing /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. So I figured it was just a matter of
    remounting the drive with the new mapping. No such luck. No matter what I
    tried the drive wouldn't mount. So I figured up gparted only to find out
    that, according to the upgraded Ubuntu, the partition table on the drive
    was corrupted.

    It turns out to not the be the truth. The partition table on the drive is
    fine. But for some odd reason the upgrade process fubar'd the udev system.
    Udev? What is udev you ask?

    I did spend a good amount of time looking up the udev problem. Ubuntu now
    also labels disks with UUIDs. I even tried getting the UUID of the drive
    but to no avail. Ultimately it required a complete re-install.

    And this is supposed to be the Ubuntu to bring all users to Linux? Now
    certainly I can understand these sorts of bugs in Alpha and even Beta
    releases. But in a public release? Sorry. And this bug made it to Kubuntu
    as well. I finally had to drop back to 7.10 to get Ubuntu (actually gOS)
    installed on my machine. Now, granted my machine was built from scratch and
    it's 64 bit (although running in 32 bit mode) hardware. But if 7.10 didn't
    have any problems.dot.dot.dot.

  2. Re: Another Ubuntu upgrade nightmare and disaster.

    "Ezekiel" writes:

    > http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=206
    >

    > So I followed these steps:
    >
    > * ran sudo update-manager
    > * updated my machine to make sure I had all the latest 7.10 software
    > * clicked on the Upgrade button
    > * Go do something productive
    >
    > Well, at first look, the ugrade went very well. The machine booted up to X,
    > I logged in, got on-line, and did most everything I always do. Very
    > quickly, however, I hit a snag. I always set up my personal machines with
    > two drives: An OS drive and a data drive. The data drive, as you can
    > assume, holds all my data. I have data from years ago on said drive. But
    > once I tried to access that drive I found it not accessible. It didn't take
    > me long (after running the "dmesg" command) to find out that drives were
    > now labeled differently un 8.04. Instead of /dev/hda or /dev/hdb I was
    > seeing /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. So I figured it was just a matter of
    > remounting the drive with the new mapping. No such luck. No matter what I
    > tried the drive wouldn't mount. So I figured up gparted only to find out
    > that, according to the upgraded Ubuntu, the partition table on the drive
    > was corrupted.
    >
    > It turns out to not the be the truth. The partition table on the drive is
    > fine. But for some odd reason the upgrade process fubar'd the udev system.
    > Udev? What is udev you ask?
    >
    > I did spend a good amount of time looking up the udev problem. Ubuntu now
    > also labels disks with UUIDs. I even tried getting the UUID of the drive
    > but to no avail. Ultimately it required a complete re-install.

    I bought this up over a year ago I think it was and was called a liar in
    COLA. I helped *many* people sort out uuid issues in the Ubuntu groups.

    It was a nightmare.

  3. Re: Another Ubuntu upgrade nightmare and disaster.

    On 2008-05-26, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=206
    >

    > So I followed these steps:
    >
    > * ran sudo update-manager
    > * updated my machine to make sure I had all the latest 7.10 software
    > * clicked on the Upgrade button
    > * Go do something productive
    >
    > Well, at first look, the ugrade went very well. The machine booted up to X,
    > I logged in, got on-line, and did most everything I always do. Very
    > quickly, however, I hit a snag. I always set up my personal machines with
    > two drives: An OS drive and a data drive. The data drive, as you can
    > assume, holds all my data. I have data from years ago on said drive. But
    > once I tried to access that drive I found it not accessible. It didn't take
    > me long (after running the "dmesg" command) to find out that drives were
    > now labeled differently un 8.04. Instead of /dev/hda or /dev/hdb I was
    > seeing /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. So I figured it was just a matter of
    > remounting the drive with the new mapping. No such luck. No matter what I
    > tried the drive wouldn't mount. So I figured up gparted only to find out
    > that, according to the upgraded Ubuntu, the partition table on the drive
    > was corrupted.
    >
    > It turns out to not the be the truth. The partition table on the drive is
    > fine. But for some odd reason the upgrade process fubar'd the udev system.
    > Udev? What is udev you ask?

    An interesting story.

    Someone who's already running 7.10 should already be using UUID's
    rather that device node filenames for this. This sort of sob story is
    a little out of date actually.

    > I did spend a good amount of time looking up the udev problem. Ubuntu now
    > also labels disks with UUIDs. I even tried getting the UUID of the drive
    > but to no avail. Ultimately it required a complete re-install.
    >
    > And this is supposed to be the Ubuntu to bring all users to Linux? Now
    > certainly I can understand these sorts of bugs in Alpha and even Beta
    > releases. But in a public release? Sorry. And this bug made it to Kubuntu
    > as well. I finally had to drop back to 7.10 to get Ubuntu (actually gOS)
    > installed on my machine. Now, granted my machine was built from scratch and

    Based on his description of the "issue" this is nonsense. 7.10 does
    the SAME shenangian with how drives are mounted as 8.04. If there is a
    problem with the new version, I rather doubt it has anything to do with
    the UUIDs thing.

    > it's 64 bit (although running in 32 bit mode) hardware. But if 7.10 didn't
    > have any problems.dot.dot.dot.

    On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

    When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
    meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
    arbitrarily assigned.

  4. Re: Another Ubuntu upgrade nightmare and disaster.

    On Mon, 26 May 2008 08:16:48 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=206
    >

    > So I followed these steps:
    >
    > * ran sudo update-manager
    > * updated my machine to make sure I had all the latest 7.10 software
    > * clicked on the Upgrade button
    > * Go do something productive
    >
    > Well, at first look, the ugrade went very well. The machine booted up to X,
    > I logged in, got on-line, and did most everything I always do. Very
    > quickly, however, I hit a snag. I always set up my personal machines with
    > two drives: An OS drive and a data drive. The data drive, as you can
    > assume, holds all my data. I have data from years ago on said drive. But
    > once I tried to access that drive I found it not accessible. It didn't take
    > me long (after running the "dmesg" command) to find out that drives were
    > now labeled differently un 8.04. Instead of /dev/hda or /dev/hdb I was
    > seeing /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. So I figured it was just a matter of
    > remounting the drive with the new mapping. No such luck. No matter what I
    > tried the drive wouldn't mount. So I figured up gparted only to find out
    > that, according to the upgraded Ubuntu, the partition table on the drive
    > was corrupted.
    >
    > It turns out to not the be the truth. The partition table on the drive is
    > fine. But for some odd reason the upgrade process fubar'd the udev system.
    > Udev? What is udev you ask?
    >
    > I did spend a good amount of time looking up the udev problem. Ubuntu now
    > also labels disks with UUIDs. I even tried getting the UUID of the drive
    > but to no avail. Ultimately it required a complete re-install.
    >
    > And this is supposed to be the Ubuntu to bring all users to Linux? Now
    > certainly I can understand these sorts of bugs in Alpha and even Beta
    > releases. But in a public release? Sorry. And this bug made it to Kubuntu
    > as well. I finally had to drop back to 7.10 to get Ubuntu (actually gOS)
    > installed on my machine. Now, granted my machine was built from scratch and
    > it's 64 bit (although running in 32 bit mode) hardware. But if 7.10 didn't
    > have any problems.dot.dot.dot.

    Yet when I posted that a friends PCLinuxos update hosed the entire system,
    and even posted the output from the update, they cried TROLL...
    What a bunch of losers the Linux users are.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: Another Ubuntu upgrade nightmare and disaster.

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 16:27:33 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > "Ezekiel" writes:
    >
    >> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=206
    >>

    >> So I followed these steps:
    >>
    >> * ran sudo update-manager
    >> * updated my machine to make sure I had all the latest 7.10 software
    >> * clicked on the Upgrade button
    >> * Go do something productive
    >>
    >> Well, at first look, the ugrade went very well. The machine booted up to X,
    >> I logged in, got on-line, and did most everything I always do. Very
    >> quickly, however, I hit a snag. I always set up my personal machines with
    >> two drives: An OS drive and a data drive. The data drive, as you can
    >> assume, holds all my data. I have data from years ago on said drive. But
    >> once I tried to access that drive I found it not accessible. It didn't take
    >> me long (after running the "dmesg" command) to find out that drives were
    >> now labeled differently un 8.04. Instead of /dev/hda or /dev/hdb I was
    >> seeing /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. So I figured it was just a matter of
    >> remounting the drive with the new mapping. No such luck. No matter what I
    >> tried the drive wouldn't mount. So I figured up gparted only to find out
    >> that, according to the upgraded Ubuntu, the partition table on the drive
    >> was corrupted.
    >>
    >> It turns out to not the be the truth. The partition table on the drive is
    >> fine. But for some odd reason the upgrade process fubar'd the udev system.
    >> Udev? What is udev you ask?
    >>
    >> I did spend a good amount of time looking up the udev problem. Ubuntu now
    >> also labels disks with UUIDs. I even tried getting the UUID of the drive
    >> but to no avail. Ultimately it required a complete re-install.

    > I bought this up over a year ago I think it was and was called a liar in
    > COLA. I helped *many* people sort out uuid issues in the Ubuntu groups.
    >
    > It was a nightmare.

    You should know by now that everything Linux *just works* for the people in
    COLA.

    A bunch of lying sacks of **** most of them are.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: Another Ubuntu upgrade nightmare and disaster.

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > You should know by now that everything Linux *just works* for the
    > people in COLA.
    >
    > A bunch of lying sacks of **** most of them are.

    When they're not outright lying, they're making the most amazingly stupid
    claims:

    7: "GOOGLE REVENUES NOW ON A PAR WITH MICOSHAFT REVENUE"

    7: "Linux selling 1 million+ desktops per month and increasing."

    7: "Linux shipping 3 million embedded devices PER DAY and increasing."

    Linuxiac: "Linux is 50x faster than Windows"

    [H]omer: "Half of Europe has just dumped Windows.

    Rex Ballard: "Linux has the potential to double the world's global output
    every 2 years for 10 years."

    Richard Rasker: "Vista does indeed require between 10 and 20 times the
    amount of system resources Linux needs for equal performance."

    Greg Shearman: "Linux is as good as possible."

    Linonut: "This is where monopoly status saves, at least for awhile,
    Microsoft."

  7. Re: Another Ubuntu upgrade nightmare and disaster.

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  8. Re: Another Ubuntu upgrade nightmare and disaster.