[News] [SOT] Youtube law fight 'threatens net', according to Google - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [SOT] Youtube law fight 'threatens net', according to Google - Linux ; This just in from the "death of the Internet predicted again at 11" department: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7420955.stm A one billion dollar lawsuit against YouTube threatens internet freedom, according to its owner Google. Google's claim follows Viacom's move to sue the video sharing ...

  1. [News] [SOT] Youtube law fight 'threatens net', according to Google

    This just in from the "death of the Internet predicted again at 11"
    department:

    A one billion dollar lawsuit against YouTube threatens
    internet freedom, according to its owner Google.

    Google's claim follows Viacom's move to sue the video
    sharing service for its inability to keep copyrighted
    material off its site.

    Viacom says it has identified 150,000 unauthorised
    clips on YouTube.

    In court documents Google's lawyers say the action
    "threatens the way hundreds of millions of people
    legitimately exchange information" over the web.

    [...]

    Viacom, which is asking for damages for the
    unauthorised viewing of its programming, said its
    tally represented only a fraction of the content on
    YouTube that violates its copyrights.

    Since software is virtually indistinguishable from
    non-streaming media[*], at least while being stored and
    transmitted on the server, expect this to have interesting
    (and possibly damaging) effects on distribution of
    copyrighted but freely available software such as Linux
    and distributions surrounding it.

    Welcome to the New World Order.
    [*] streaming media has some technical subpoints that
    make life interesting; the closest software might get is
    "on-demand" download, or a cacheable remote-mountable
    partition.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.
    Windows. The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
    a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".

  2. Re: [News] [SOT] Youtube law fight 'threatens net', according toGoogle

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

    > This just in from the "death of the Internet predicted again at 11"
    > department:

    I wouldn't worry. The media goons are always bitching about some
    "violation" or another, like they don't make enough cash already with
    their glorified photocopying service.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    01:18:43 up 161 days, 21:54, 6 users, load average: 0.40, 0.31, 0.40

  3. Re: [News] [SOT] Youtube law fight 'threatens net', according to Google

    In article ,
    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > Since software is virtually indistinguishable from
    > non-streaming media[*], at least while being stored and
    > transmitted on the server, expect this to have interesting
    > (and possibly damaging) effects on distribution of
    > copyrighted but freely available software such as Linux
    > and distributions surrounding it.

    Why? Last time I checked, the copyright owners of Linux have given
    permission for it to be distributed over the net.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  4. Re: [News] [SOT] Youtube law fight 'threatens net', according to Google

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith

    wrote
    on Fri, 30 May 2008 18:15:40 -0700
    :
    > In article ,
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> Since software is virtually indistinguishable from
    >> non-streaming media[*], at least while being stored and
    >> transmitted on the server, expect this to have interesting
    >> (and possibly damaging) effects on distribution of
    >> copyrighted but freely available software such as Linux
    >> and distributions surrounding it.

    > Why? Last time I checked, the copyright owners of Linux have given
    > permission for it to be distributed over the net.

    *They* did, yes. I'm not sure DRM hardware will. For all
    it knows, absent further instruction, the GPLv3 software
    about to be transmitted might be owned by a record group,
    and therefore deserving of very stringent protections to
    ensure that the user doesn't do "piracy" with it... ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
    for(; ;