AlphaPC 164LX Motherboard Errata Sheet still valid? - Linux

This is a discussion on AlphaPC 164LX Motherboard Errata Sheet still valid? - Linux ; Hi again, The Errata Sheet for the AlphaPC 164LX states that there's a compatibility problem between this motherboard and the ISP1020/1040 found on the Qlogic QLA1020/1040 SCSI controllers. Is it still the case or a firmware upgrade solved it? Thanks. ...

  1. AlphaPC 164LX Motherboard Errata Sheet still valid?

    Hi again,

    The Errata Sheet for the AlphaPC 164LX states that there's a
    compatibility problem between this motherboard and the ISP1020/1040
    found on the Qlogic QLA1020/1040 SCSI controllers. Is it still the case
    or a firmware upgrade solved it?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: AlphaPC 164LX Motherboard Errata Sheet still valid?

    "Emeric Maschino" writes:

    > The Errata Sheet for the AlphaPC 164LX states that there's a
    > compatibility problem between this motherboard and the ISP1020/1040
    > found on the Qlogic QLA1020/1040 SCSI controllers. Is it still the case
    > or a firmware upgrade solved it?

    Does it state what the problem would be? Have you tried the card?

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  3. Re: AlphaPC 164LX Motherboard Errata Sheet still valid?

    Hello Måns,

    > Does it state what the problem would be? Have you tried the card?

    No detailed description of the problem is given, only an advice not to
    try this configuration. What suprises me a little is that this adapter
    seems to have no problem with the 164SX motherboard
    (http://www.pofo.de/alpha-boot/).

  4. Re: AlphaPC 164LX Motherboard Errata Sheet still valid?

    "Emeric Maschino" writes:

    >> Does it state what the problem would be? Have you tried the card?

    > No detailed description of the problem is given, only an advice not to
    > try this configuration. What suprises me a little is that this adapter
    > seems to have no problem with the 164SX motherboard

    The SX164 is a somewhat newer design, so maybe some bug has been
    fixed. I can't imagine that trying the card would damage anything
    permanently, except possibly your data. I'd stick the card in the
    machine and shuffle around a few gigabytes, and see if anything went
    wrong.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  5. Re: AlphaPC 164LX Motherboard Errata Sheet still valid?

    > I'd stick the card in the machine and shuffle around a few gigabytes,
    > and see if anything went wrong.

    I originally asked this question to determine which SCSI controller
    buy for my new toy! So I can't presently test it. I was thinking the
    164SX was older than the 164LX since it has support only for SIMM and
    not DIMM memory modules. Isn't this the case?

  6. Re: AlphaPC 164LX Motherboard Errata Sheet still valid?

    "Emeric Maschino" writes:

    >> I'd stick the card in the machine and shuffle around a few gigabytes,
    >> and see if anything went wrong.

    > I originally asked this question to determine which SCSI controller
    > buy for my new toy! So I can't presently test it. I was thinking the
    > 164SX was older than the 164LX since it has support only for SIMM and
    > not DIMM memory modules. Isn't this the case?

    My SX164 has four DIMM sockets. Each will hold up to 256 MB. Getting
    memory that works in those boards is getting tricky, though.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  7. Re: AlphaPC 164LX Motherboard Errata Sheet still valid?

    > The Errata Sheet for the AlphaPC 164LX states that there's a
    > compatibility problem between this motherboard and the ISP1020/1040
    > found on the Qlogic QLA1020/1040 SCSI controllers.

    Apparently, this problem occurs only with multiple Qlogic QLA1020/40
    SCSI controllers with Windows NT 4.0 Server.