Linux distribution - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux distribution - Linux ; What flavor of Linux is still available for the Alpha ?? I have an old NT 4 server that I would like to put Linux on. Please drop me a link tht will let me down load some flavor !...

  1. Linux distribution

    What flavor of Linux is still available for the Alpha ?? I have an
    old NT 4 server that I would like to put Linux on. Please drop me a
    link tht will let me down load some flavor !

  2. Re: Linux distribution

    In article <9ea0bbf0.0312021258.1cdbf594@posting.google.com>, Hank wrote:
    > What flavor of Linux is still available for the Alpha ?? I have an
    > old NT 4 server that I would like to put Linux on. Please drop me a
    > link tht will let me down load some flavor !

    A distribution called "Redhat 7.2" is supposedly available
    through HP. A search of archives of this group should show
    the URLs for downloading or buying the CDs. A search of the
    archives may show other distributions, too.

    Good luck.

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: Linux distribution

    hvanderw@comcast.net (Hank) writes:

    > What flavor of Linux is still available for the Alpha ?? I have an
    > old NT 4 server that I would like to put Linux on. Please drop me a
    > link tht will let me down load some flavor !

    There's Debian and Gentoo, at least. What kind of Alpha machine is
    this?

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  4. Re: Linux distribution

    Dear Hank,

    here is a link for SUSE,

    ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/axp/supplementary/8.1/

    and for Redhat 7.2 you can still buy it for $29.95,

    HP part number: QA-6M1AA-H8

    Call 1-800-448-6737 (U.S. only)

    or download it by linking here:

    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/s.../download.html

    If your machine supported NT, it will probably also run Linux. If it
    is a PC164xx, you will need to flash in the MILO console/loader. If
    you have a DEC-branded machine other than the 164 series, you should
    get into the SRM console and use that to install and, afterwards to
    load, Linux.

    good luck ...

    jn

    > hvanderw@comcast.net (Hank) writes:
    >
    > > What flavor of Linux is still available for the Alpha ?? I have an
    > > old NT 4 server that I would like to put Linux on. Please drop me a
    > > link tht will let me down load some flavor !

  5. Re: Linux distribution

    thursday@allidaho.com (jon_norstog) writes:

    > If your machine supported NT, it will probably also run Linux. If it
    > is a PC164xx, you will need to flash in the MILO console/loader. If

    Those machines will run SRM just fine.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se