3Dlabs Oxygen VX1-1600sw on Alpha platform - Linux

This is a discussion on 3Dlabs Oxygen VX1-1600sw on Alpha platform - Linux ; Hello, Since the 3Dlabs Oxygen VX1 seems to be supported with Linux (at least, the GLINT R3 chip is), I was wondering if the VX1-1600SW version specifically designed to run the sgi 1600sw flat panel is supported too and if ...

  1. 3Dlabs Oxygen VX1-1600sw on Alpha platform

    Hello,

    Since the 3Dlabs Oxygen VX1 seems to be supported with Linux (at least,
    the GLINT R3 chip is), I was wondering if the VX1-1600SW version
    specifically designed to run the sgi 1600sw flat panel is supported too
    and if this particular 1600*1024 mode is available.

    Experience any?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: 3Dlabs Oxygen VX1-1600sw on Alpha platform

    "Emeric Maschino" writes:

    > Since the 3Dlabs Oxygen VX1 seems to be supported with Linux (at least,
    > the GLINT R3 chip is),

    I'm using one myself. It works fine, except there's no 3D support. I
    started looking at it once, but it was more work than I had time for.

    > I was wondering if the VX1-1600SW version specifically designed to
    > run the sgi 1600sw flat panel is supported too and if this
    > particular 1600*1024 mode is available.

    I suggest you ask this on one of the XFree86 mailing lists. The
    driver author usually lurks there.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  3. Re: 3Dlabs Oxygen VX1-1600sw on Alpha platform

    > driver author usually lurks there.

    In fact, the VX1-1600SW version is supported by XFree86 since 3.3.?
    (don't remember which one). But often, supported on XFree86 means on x86
    platform. Furthermore, I don't know if the XFree86 maintainers for x86
    are the same than for Alpha.

    >> driver author usually lurks there.

    > In fact, the VX1-1600SW version is supported by XFree86 since 3.3.?
    > (don't remember which one). But often, supported on XFree86 means on x86
    > platform. Furthermore, I don't know if the XFree86 maintainers for x86
    > are the same than for Alpha.

    The regular VX1 works perfectly on my Alpha. I'd be very surprised if
    the 1600SW version didn't, if it works on any system (which it
    reportedly does). Modern Alpha systems are similar enough to PCs that
    most drivers just work.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se