Which flavor of Milo for Alphastation 255? - Linux

This is a discussion on Which flavor of Milo for Alphastation 255? - Linux ; I am getting ready to install RedHat on a couple of Alphastation 255s and I can't tell which flavor of Milo I need to use. Is there a FAQ on this? The Milo HowTo doesn't mention the Alphastation. Cheers, Doc...

  1. Which flavor of Milo for Alphastation 255?

    I am getting ready to install RedHat on a couple of Alphastation 255s
    and I can't tell which flavor of Milo I need to use. Is there a FAQ
    on this? The Milo HowTo doesn't mention the Alphastation.

    Cheers,
    Doc

  2. Re: Which flavor of Milo for Alphastation 255?

    Doc Miller writes:

    > I am getting ready to install RedHat on a couple of Alphastation 255s
    > and I can't tell which flavor of Milo I need to use. Is there a FAQ
    > on this? The Milo HowTo doesn't mention the Alphastation.

    I'd go with SRM instead.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  3. Re: Which flavor of Milo for Alphastation 255?

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 09:40:44 +0100, mru@kth.se (Måns Rullgård) appears
    to have written:

    >Doc Miller writes:
    >
    >> I am getting ready to install RedHat on a couple of Alphastation 255s
    >> and I can't tell which flavor of Milo I need to use. Is there a FAQ
    >> on this? The Milo HowTo doesn't mention the Alphastation.

    >I'd go with SRM instead.

    Thank you for the advice. I first contemplated SRM since I couldn't
    find a Milo image for the LX3+ but I haven't yet found good docs on
    SRM nor have I been able to interrupt the boot process to get into SRM
    or any console for that matter :-(

  4. Re: Which flavor of Milo for Alphastation 255?

    Doc Miller writes:

    >>> I am getting ready to install RedHat on a couple of Alphastation 255s
    >>> and I can't tell which flavor of Milo I need to use. Is there a FAQ
    >>> on this? The Milo HowTo doesn't mention the Alphastation.

    >>I'd go with SRM instead.

    > Thank you for the advice. I first contemplated SRM since I couldn't
    > find a Milo image for the LX3+ but I haven't yet found good docs on
    > SRM nor have I been able to interrupt the boot process to get into SRM
    > or any console for that matter :-(

    Hit ctrl-c at the right moment, just before it starts loading the boot
    loader. If you start pressing ctrl-c repeatedly during the
    e9.e8.e7... countdown, you'll get it.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  5. Re: Which flavor of Milo for Alphastation 255?

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 20:13:46 +0100, mru@kth.se (Måns Rullgård) appears
    to have written:

    >>>I'd go with SRM instead.

    >> Thank you for the advice. I first contemplated SRM since I couldn't
    >> find a Milo image for the LX3+ but I haven't yet found good docs on
    >> SRM nor have I been able to interrupt the boot process to get into SRM
    >> or any console for that matter :-(

    >Hit ctrl-c at the right moment, just before it starts loading the boot
    >loader. If you start pressing ctrl-c repeatedly during the
    >e9.e8.e7... countdown, you'll get it.

    Thanks Måns. I was holding ctrl-c and it was getting me nowhere.
    I'll practice my form on this next boot :-)

  6. Re: Which flavor of Milo for Alphastation 255?

    Doc Miller writes:

    >>> Thank you for the advice. I first contemplated SRM since I couldn't
    >>> find a Milo image for the LX3+ but I haven't yet found good docs on
    >>> SRM nor have I been able to interrupt the boot process to get into SRM
    >>> or any console for that matter :-(

    >>Hit ctrl-c at the right moment, just before it starts loading the boot
    >>loader. If you start pressing ctrl-c repeatedly during the
    >>e9.e8.e7... countdown, you'll get it.

    > Thanks Måns. I was holding ctrl-c and it was getting me nowhere.
    > I'll practice my form on this next boot :-)

    You need to press and release. If you hold it pressed the booting
    will stall, I don't know why. If you don't get the timing right,
    unplug the disk it normally boots from. Then you'll be dropped at a
    prompt. Give the command "set auto_action halt". Next time you boot,
    it will stop at the SRM prompt. To boot the system, type "boot". To
    read about some options to boot, do "man boot".

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  7. Re: Which flavor of Milo for Alphastation 255?

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:53:52 +0100, mru@kth.se (Måns Rullgård) appears
    to have written:

    >>>Hit ctrl-c at the right moment, just before it starts loading the boot
    >>>loader. If you start pressing ctrl-c repeatedly during the
    >>>e9.e8.e7... countdown, you'll get it.

    >> Thanks Måns. I was holding ctrl-c and it was getting me nowhere.
    >> I'll practice my form on this next boot :-)

    >You need to press and release. If you hold it pressed the booting
    >will stall, I don't know why. If you don't get the timing right,
    >unplug the disk it normally boots from. Then you'll be dropped at a
    >prompt. Give the command "set auto_action halt". Next time you boot,
    >it will stop at the SRM prompt. To boot the system, type "boot". To
    >read about some options to boot, do "man boot".

    Much thanks!

  8. Re: Which flavor of Milo for Alphastation 255?

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 01:31:27 GMT, Doc Miller
    wrote in :
    > I am getting ready to install RedHat on a couple of Alphastation 255s
    > and I can't tell which flavor of Milo I need to use. Is there a FAQ
    > on this?

    I thought Milo only came in one flavour?
    http://www.nestle.com.au/milo/main.asp :-)

    --
    Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
    Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@brunel.ac.uk Room 40-1-B12, CERN