Problems building a kernel.. - Linux

This is a discussion on Problems building a kernel.. - Linux ; Hi. I tried today to build a working kernel of 2.4.22 and 2.6.0-test9. Both revisions does not work. Each version balked during start up that my sym53c875 has an improper configured cache and therefore does not work the SCSI controller. ...

  1. Problems building a kernel..

    Hi.

    I tried today to build a working kernel of 2.4.22 and 2.6.0-test9.

    Both revisions does not work. Each version balked during start up that
    my sym53c875 has an improper configured cache and therefore does not
    work the SCSI controller.

    The weird thing is that my current kernel (2.4.19) does work fine
    with the same settings. I configured for all three kernels the
    SYM53C8XX_2 driver.

    The main difference is that the newer kernels are build with a gcc
    3.3.

    Has anybody else similar problems?

    The system is a Debian testing on a PWS 500au with a
    sym53c875, device id 0xf, revision id 0x3

    TIA

    Torsten

    --
    s-mail: Neckarstr. 120 Torsten Zirzlaff
    70190 Stuttgart

    | The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined |
    | as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
    | behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies' |

  2. Re: Problems building a kernel..

    using debian testing with 2.4.23-pre9 on xp1000 without any problems
    so far.

    I have a sym53c875 connected, and whole lot other stuff that works
    fine. The only thing does not work is USB, but that is not a problem.

    Good luck.

    Later

    Torsten> Hi. I tried today to build a working kernel of 2.4.22 and
    Torsten> 2.6.0-test9.

    Torsten> Both revisions does not work. Each version balked during
    Torsten> start up that my sym53c875 has an improper configured cache
    Torsten> and therefore does not work the SCSI controller.

    Torsten> The weird thing is that my current kernel (2.4.19) does
    Torsten> work fine with the same settings. I configured for all three
    Torsten> kernels the SYM53C8XX_2 driver.

    Torsten> The main difference is that the newer kernels are build
    Torsten> with a gcc 3.3.

    Torsten> Has anybody else similar problems?

    Torsten> The system is a Debian testing on a PWS 500au with a
    Torsten> sym53c875, device id 0xf, revision id 0x3

    Torsten> TIA

    Torsten> Torsten

    Torsten> -- s-mail: Neckarstr. 120 Torsten Zirzlaff 70190 Stuttgart
    Torsten> Germany e-mail : zirzlaff@nienor.s.bawue.de phone: +49 711
    Torsten> 285 19 40 torsten@zirzlaff.de mobil: +49 174 857 56 77 data:
    Torsten> +49 711 286 40 57/9

    Torsten> | The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York
    Torsten> Second, defined | | as the period of time between the
    Torsten> traffic lights turning green and the cab | | behind you
    Torsten> honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies' |

+ Reply to Thread