Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata) - Linux

This is a discussion on Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata) - Linux ; Hello I'have a 500a miata personal Workstation with QLogic 1020 scsi host adapter. When I try to install Debian from NetInst CD-Rom ( http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/ ), receive this error message: scsi0: QLogic ISP 1020 scsi on PCI bus 02 device 48 ...

  1. Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    Hello

    I'have a 500a miata personal Workstation with QLogic 1020 scsi host
    adapter.

    When I try to install Debian from NetInst CD-Rom (
    http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/ ), receive this error message:

    scsi0: QLogic ISP 1020 scsi on PCI bus 02 device 48 irq 40 i/o base
    0x9000

    scsi: 1 host

    scsi: aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi 0, channel 0, id 2,
    lun 0 0x00 00 00 00 00 00

    ***

    I have configured "\milo\loadlin.exe" and "\milo\miata" in AlphaBIOS
    setup; system boot from cd (IDE) and, at milo prompt, I type this command:

    hda:

    but, at the scsi check-up, I'have this problem.

    ***

    Where is the problem ?

    I must replace scsi controller (QLogic 1020 ISP) with another
    (AHA-2940UW ?) ?

    All Linux distribution have this problem ?

    Please, help me ! :-)

    Andrea.

  2. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal WorkstationAlpha 500a (miata)

    Andrea Orlando writes:

    > I have configured "\milo\loadlin.exe" and "\milo\miata" in AlphaBIOS
    > setup; system boot from cd (IDE) and, at milo prompt, I type this command:

    Before you go further, do switch to SRM. It's so much better.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  3. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 21:25:08 +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > Andrea Orlando writes:
    >
    >> I have configured "\milo\loadlin.exe" and "\milo\miata" in AlphaBIOS
    >> setup; system boot from cd (IDE) and, at milo prompt, I type this
    >> command:

    > Before you go further, do switch to SRM. It's so much better.

    Pardons my ignorance :-(

    How to switch to SRM ? I must update the bios firmware ?

    Thank for the answer ^_^

    Andrea.

  4. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal WorkstationAlpha 500a (miata)

    Andrea Orlando writes:

    >>> I have configured "\milo\loadlin.exe" and "\milo\miata" in AlphaBIOS
    >>> setup; system boot from cd (IDE) and, at milo prompt, I type this
    >>> command:

    >> Before you go further, do switch to SRM. It's so much better.
    >>

    > Pardons my ignorance :-(
    >
    > How to switch to SRM ? I must update the bios firmware ?

    The PWS systems usually have both SRM and AlphaBIOS in firmware. Look
    around in the AlphaBIOS setup for "Advanced options", or something
    similar. There, set "Operating system" to UNIX, save and reboot.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  5. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:38:00 +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:

    >>> Before you go further, do switch to SRM. It's so much better.
    >>>

    >> Pardons my ignorance :-(
    >>
    >> How to switch to SRM ? I must update the bios firmware ?

    > The PWS systems usually have both SRM and AlphaBIOS in firmware. Look
    > around in the AlphaBIOS setup for "Advanced options", or something
    > similar. There, set "Operating system" to UNIX, save and reboot.

    Ah, I thought a hardware problem.

    I have partitioned the scsi disk in this mode:

    1th: 1GB FAT 32 - > Windows NT installed
    2th: 3GB none - > "future Debian" :-P
    3th: 33MB FAT 32 - > WinNT Boot for ARC

    With the SRM boot, I succeed to boot with both systems (WinNT and Linux)
    ?

    Thanks for the answers !!!

    Andrea.
    PS: I have used FAT32 in order to load from LINUX.

  6. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal WorkstationAlpha 500a (miata)

    Andrea Orlando writes:

    >>> Pardons my ignorance :-(
    >>>
    >>> How to switch to SRM ? I must update the bios firmware ?

    >> The PWS systems usually have both SRM and AlphaBIOS in firmware. Look
    >> around in the AlphaBIOS setup for "Advanced options", or something
    >> similar. There, set "Operating system" to UNIX, save and reboot.
    >>

    > Ah, I thought a hardware problem.
    >
    > I have partitioned the scsi disk in this mode:
    >
    > 1th: 1GB FAT 32 - > Windows NT installed
    > 2th: 3GB none - > "future Debian" :-P
    > 3th: 33MB FAT 32 - > WinNT Boot for ARC
    >
    > With the SRM boot, I succeed to boot with both systems (WinNT and Linux)?

    Well, there's some trouble here. You can't boot Linux from SRM if the
    disk has a FAT partition table. You need to use OSF disklabel format
    instead. Naturally, mswindows can't boot from that, or from SRM at
    all.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  7. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal WorkstationAlpha 500a (miata)

    mru@kth.se (Måns Rullgård) writes:

    > Well, there's some trouble here. You can't boot Linux from SRM if the
    > disk has a FAT partition table. You need to use OSF disklabel format
    > instead.

    Why is that? I can't recall any SRM command doing anything with
    partitions.

  8. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal WorkstationAlpha 500a (miata)

    Kalle Olavi Niemitalo writes:

    >> Well, there's some trouble here. You can't boot Linux from SRM if the
    >> disk has a FAT partition table. You need to use OSF disklabel format
    >> instead.

    > Why is that? I can't recall any SRM command doing anything with
    > partitions.

    SRM requires the boot loader to be in a place normally occupied by the
    FAT partition table.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  9. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > Kalle Olavi Niemitalo writes:
    >
    >>> Well, there's some trouble here. You can't boot Linux from SRM if the
    >>> disk has a FAT partition table. You need to use OSF disklabel format
    >>> instead.

    >> Why is that? I can't recall any SRM command doing anything with
    >> partitions.

    > SRM requires the boot loader to be in a place normally occupied by the
    > FAT partition table.

    Well, no, not exactly. Both type of partition tables reside on "sector
    zero" of your boot disk. In a FAT case at least an information about
    four non-extended partitions. But in this sector there is also
    some other information/code which tells firmware what to do next
    and how to look for the next stage of bootloaders so a format of this
    sector is not a "free-flow". This implies that in case of ARC/ArcBIOS
    a partition table has to be in a FAT format and when SRM is used this
    needs to be "disklabel".

    Nothing in principle prevents a firmware from recognizing multiple
    formats of a boot sector but in practice such thing does not exist.
    Once Linux takes over you can use many partitioning schemes on the
    same installation. Only a boot disk need to conform to your firmware
    expectations. It is also possible to boot from some other media,
    and then you do not care how your hard disk is partitioned, but
    in practice this is a PITA on a long run.

    Michal

  10. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    mru@kth.se (Måns Rullgård) wrote in message news:...
    > Andrea Orlando writes:
    >
    > > I have configured "\milo\loadlin.exe" and "\milo\miata" in AlphaBIOS
    > > setup; system boot from cd (IDE) and, at milo prompt, I type this command:

    > Before you go further, do switch to SRM. It's so much better.

    I have switched to SRM but the problem persists.

    The boot cannot find any SCSI device; the only difference from ARC is
    that now the Debian Installation "start correctly", but the disk scsi
    is missing.

    I don't find documentation of aid, HOWTO, FAQ, etc... for this
    problem :-(

    Andrea.

  11. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal WorkstationAlpha 500a (miata)

    webmaster@uda.itgo.com (Andrea) writes:

    >> > I have configured "\milo\loadlin.exe" and "\milo\miata" in AlphaBIOS
    >> > setup; system boot from cd (IDE) and, at milo prompt, I type this command:

    >> Before you go further, do switch to SRM. It's so much better.

    > I have switched to SRM but the problem persists.
    >
    > The boot cannot find any SCSI device; the only difference from ARC is
    > that now the Debian Installation "start correctly", but the disk scsi
    > is missing.

    Make sure you are using a kernel that supports your SCSI controller.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  12. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:27:29 +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > Make sure you are using a kernel that supports your SCSI controller.

    I would want to make a network installation, therefore I have downloaded
    the appropriate NetInst of
    Debian.

    Searching on google, I have found many messages with my problem, but
    nobody with clear
    answer.

    Who has the 500a with QLogic ISP 1020 has this problem; I ask myself if
    there someone that resolve it
    successfully.

    I don't find the list of supported hardware from the kernel (netinst)
    .... I will try to search
    better :-(

    Gentoo could be good choice to resolve my problem ?

    Thank, Andrea.

  13. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:20:52 +0100, Andrea Orlando wrote:

    > On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:27:29 +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >
    >> Make sure you are using a kernel that supports your SCSI controller.

    > I would want to make a network installation, therefore I have
    > downloaded the appropriate NetInst of
    > Debian.
    >
    > Searching on google, I have found many messages with my problem, but
    > nobody with clear
    > answer.
    >
    > Who has the 500a with QLogic ISP 1020 has this problem; I ask myself if
    > there someone that resolve it
    > successfully.
    >
    > I don't find the list of supported hardware from the kernel (netinst)
    > .... I will try to search
    > better :-(
    >
    > Gentoo could be good choice to resolve my problem ?
    >
    > Thank, Andrea.

    hmm, I have tried also Debian floppy disk, FreeBSD, Gentoo, IDE Disk (it
    does not come seen not even), many scsi setting, ecc.... (always in SRM
    mode).

    The error is always the same -_-

    Can the firmware upgrade help me ? I have fear to make it; if Linux
    doesn't start, I must return to Windows NT :-(

    Thank, Andrea.

  14. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    "Andrea Orlando" skrev i meddelandet
    newsan.2003.12.03.23.04.54.445756.1464@uda.itgo.com...
    > On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:20:52 +0100, Andrea Orlando wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:27:29 +0100, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > >
    > >> Make sure you are using a kernel that supports your SCSI controller.

    > > I would want to make a network installation, therefore I have
    > > downloaded the appropriate NetInst of
    > > Debian.
    > >
    > > Searching on google, I have found many messages with my problem, but
    > > nobody with clear
    > > answer.
    > >
    > > Who has the 500a with QLogic ISP 1020 has this problem; I ask myself if
    > > there someone that resolve it
    > > successfully.
    > >
    > > I don't find the list of supported hardware from the kernel (netinst)
    > > .... I will try to search
    > > better :-(
    > >
    > > Gentoo could be good choice to resolve my problem ?
    > >
    > > Thank, Andrea.

    > hmm, I have tried also Debian floppy disk, FreeBSD, Gentoo, IDE Disk (it
    > does not come seen not even), many scsi setting, ecc.... (always in SRM
    > mode).
    >
    > The error is always the same -_-
    >
    > Can the firmware upgrade help me ? I have fear to make it; if Linux
    > doesn't start, I must return to Windows NT :-(
    >
    > Thank, Andrea.

    Is the HD-devices listed with the command: 'show dev' in SRM console?

    I had a similar problem with my AS 400 4/233 and a Tekram with S1040 chip,
    the kernel I had supported it but it was not shown in SRM console.

    After switching to a Tekram ncr53c8xx chip based card it worked like a
    dream.

    Conny

  15. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:59:55 +0100, Conny wrote:

    > "Andrea Orlando" skrev i meddelandet
    > newsan.2003.12.03.23.04.54.445756.1464@uda.itgo.com...

    >> > I would want to make a network installation, therefore I have
    >> > downloaded the appropriate NetInst of
    >> > Debian.
    >> >
    >> > Searching on google, I have found many messages with my problem, but
    >> > nobody with clear
    >> > answer.
    >> >
    >> > Who has the 500a with QLogic ISP 1020 has this problem; I ask myself
    >> > if there someone that resolve it
    >> > successfully.
    >> >
    >> > I don't find the list of supported hardware from the kernel
    >> > (netinst) .... I will try to search
    >> > better :-(
    >> >
    >> > Gentoo could be good choice to resolve my problem ?
    >> >
    >> > Thank, Andrea.

    >> hmm, I have tried also Debian floppy disk, FreeBSD, Gentoo, IDE Disk
    >> (it
    >> does not come seen not even), many scsi setting, ecc.... (always in SRM
    >> mode).
    >>
    >> The error is always the same -_-
    >>
    >> Can the firmware upgrade help me ? I have fear to make it; if Linux
    >> doesn't start, I must return to Windows NT :-(
    >>
    >> Thank, Andrea.

    > Is the HD-devices listed with the command: 'show dev' in SRM console?
    >
    > I had a similar problem with my AS 400 4/233 and a Tekram with S1040
    > chip, the kernel I had supported it but it was not shown in SRM console.
    >
    > After switching to a Tekram ncr53c8xx chip based card it worked like a
    > dream.
    >
    > Conny

    Digital Personal WorkStation 500au
    Console V7.2-1 Mar 6 2000 14:47:02
    >>>show dev

    dka0.0.0.4.0 DKA0 Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6202B 1110
    dkc200.2.0.2009.0 DKC200 IBM DCAS-34330W S65A
    dva0.0.0.0.1 DVA0
    ewa0.0.0.3.0 EWA0 00-00-F8-76-0c-06
    pkc0.7.0.2009.0 PKC0 SCSI BUS ID7 5.57
    pqa0.0.0.4.0 PQA0 PCI IDE
    pqb0.0.1.4.0 PQB0 PCI IDE

    >>>boot dka0

    qlogicisp : new isp1020 revision ID (5)
    scsi0 : QLogic ISP1020 SCSI on PCI bus 02 device 48 irq 40 I/O base
    0x9000
    scsi : 1 host.
    qlogicisp : unknown completion status 0x001e
    scsi : aborting command due
    to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00
    00 00
    scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id
    2, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    scsi : detected total.

    If I connect a SONY DAT, the message error is for two:

    scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
    lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
    lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
    lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
    lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00

    Andrea.

  16. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    "Andrea Orlando" skrev i meddelandet
    newsan.2003.12.04.22.16.14.625757.18521@uda.itgo.com.. .
    > On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:59:55 +0100, Conny wrote:
    >

    > > "Andrea Orlando" skrev i meddelandet
    > > newsan.2003.12.03.23.04.54.445756.1464@uda.itgo.com...

    > >> hmm, I have tried also Debian floppy disk, FreeBSD, Gentoo, IDE Disk
    > >> (it
    > >> does not come seen not even), many scsi setting, ecc.... (always in SRM
    > >> mode).
    > >>
    > >> The error is always the same -_-
    > >>
    > >> Can the firmware upgrade help me ? I have fear to make it; if Linux
    > >> doesn't start, I must return to Windows NT :-(
    > >>
    > >> Thank, Andrea.

    > > Is the HD-devices listed with the command: 'show dev' in SRM console?
    > >
    > > I had a similar problem with my AS 400 4/233 and a Tekram with S1040
    > > chip, the kernel I had supported it but it was not shown in SRM console.
    > >
    > > After switching to a Tekram ncr53c8xx chip based card it worked like a
    > > dream.
    > >
    > > Conny

    > Digital Personal WorkStation 500au
    > Console V7.2-1 Mar 6 2000 14:47:02

    > dka0.0.0.4.0 DKA0 Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6202B 1110
    > dkc200.2.0.2009.0 DKC200 IBM DCAS-34330W S65A
    > dva0.0.0.0.1 DVA0
    > ewa0.0.0.3.0 EWA0 00-00-F8-76-0c-06
    > pkc0.7.0.2009.0 PKC0 SCSI BUS ID7 5.57
    > pqa0.0.0.4.0 PQA0 PCI IDE
    > pqb0.0.1.4.0 PQB0 PCI IDE

    > qlogicisp : new isp1020 revision ID (5)
    > scsi0 : QLogic ISP1020 SCSI on PCI bus 02 device 48 irq 40 I/O base
    > 0x9000
    > scsi : 1 host.
    > qlogicisp : unknown completion status 0x001e
    > scsi : aborting command due
    > to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00
    > 00 00
    > scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id
    > 2, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    > scsi : detected total.
    >
    > If I connect a SONY DAT, the message error is for two:
    >
    > scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
    > lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    > scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
    > lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    > scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
    > lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    > scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
    > lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    >
    > Andrea.

    Try to set the IBM SCSI disk id to 0 and the cd-rom to 1 - 6 and see if it
    helps.
    You can also try to have the cd-rom and the disk on the same controller.

  17. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:45:35 +0100, Conny wrote:

    ....cut...
    >> Digital Personal WorkStation 500au
    >> Console V7.2-1 Mar 6 2000 14:47:02

    >> dka0.0.0.4.0 DKA0 Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6202B 1110
    >> dkc200.2.0.2009.0 DKC200 IBM DCAS-34330W S65A
    >> dva0.0.0.0.1 DVA0
    >> ewa0.0.0.3.0 EWA0 00-00-F8-76-0c-06 pkc0.7.0.2009.0
    >> PKC0 SCSI BUS ID7 5.57 pqa0.0.0.4.0 PQA0 PCI IDE
    >> pqb0.0.1.4.0 PQB0 PCI IDE

    >> qlogicisp : new isp1020 revision ID (5) scsi0 : QLogic ISP1020 SCSI on
    >> PCI bus 02 device 48 irq 40 I/O base 0x9000 scsi : 1 host.
    >> qlogicisp : unknown completion status 0x001e scsi : aborting command
    >> due
    >> to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00
    >> 00 00 00
    >> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
    >> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00 scsi : detected total. .....
    >>
    >> If I connect a SONY DAT, the message error is for two:
    >>
    >> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
    >> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    >> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
    >> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    >> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
    >> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    >> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
    >> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    >>
    >> Andrea.

    > Try to set the IBM SCSI disk id to 0 and the cd-rom to 1 - 6 and see if
    > it helps.
    > You can also try to have the cd-rom and the disk on the same controller.

    The CD-Rom is recognized like scsi, but it is a IDE and also disconnect
    it, the problem persists :-(

    Andrea.

  18. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    "Andrea Orlando" skrev i meddelandet
    newsan.2003.12.06.00.42.49.466025.2768@uda.itgo.com...
    > On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 23:45:35 +0100, Conny wrote:
    >
    > ...cut...
    > >> Digital Personal WorkStation 500au
    > >> Console V7.2-1 Mar 6 2000 14:47:02
    > >>
    > >> dka0.0.0.4.0 DKA0 Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6202B 1110
    > >> dkc200.2.0.2009.0 DKC200 IBM DCAS-34330W S65A
    > >> dva0.0.0.0.1 DVA0
    > >> ewa0.0.0.3.0 EWA0 00-00-F8-76-0c-06 pkc0.7.0.2009.0
    > >> PKC0 SCSI BUS ID7 5.57 pqa0.0.0.4.0 PQA0 PCI IDE
    > >> pqb0.0.1.4.0 PQB0 PCI IDE

    > >> qlogicisp : new isp1020 revision ID (5) scsi0 : QLogic ISP1020 SCSI on
    > >> PCI bus 02 device 48 irq 40 I/O base 0x9000 scsi : 1 host.
    > >> qlogicisp : unknown completion status 0x001e scsi : aborting command
    > >> due
    > >> to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00
    > >> 00 00 00
    > >> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
    > >> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00 scsi : detected total. .....
    > >>
    > >> If I connect a SONY DAT, the message error is for two:
    > >>
    > >> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
    > >> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    > >> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
    > >> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    > >> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
    > >> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    > >> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 1,
    > >> lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
    > >>
    > >> Andrea.

    > > Try to set the IBM SCSI disk id to 0 and the cd-rom to 1 - 6 and see if
    > > it helps.
    > > You can also try to have the cd-rom and the disk on the same controller.

    > The CD-Rom is recognized like scsi, but it is a IDE and also disconnect
    > it, the problem persists :-(
    >
    > Andrea.

    But the cd is listed attached to the scsi controller?
    dka0.0.0.4.0 DKA0 Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6202B 1110
    DKA0 is the first scsi controller and pqb0 is the IDE controller as I can
    see.

  19. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal WorkstationAlpha 500a (miata)

    "Conny" writes:

    >> The CD-Rom is recognized like scsi, but it is a IDE and also
    >> disconnect it, the problem persists :-(

    > But the cd is listed attached to the scsi controller?
    > dka0.0.0.4.0 DKA0 Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6202B 1110
    > DKA0 is the first scsi controller and pqb0 is the IDE controller as I can
    > see.

    IDE devices are listed as SCSI in Miata SRM. The SRM is doing some
    sort of SCSI emulation.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  20. Re: Installing Debian Woody 3.0 on Digital Personal Workstation Alpha 500a (miata)

    Andrea Orlando wrote:
    > qlogicisp : new isp1020 revision ID (5)
    > scsi0 : QLogic ISP1020 SCSI on PCI bus 02 device 48 irq 40 I/O base
    > 0x9000

    > If I connect a SONY DAT, the message error is for two:
    >
    > scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,

    This looks like an infamous timemout on tape devices in QLogic
    driver. :-) I do not have that controller but many sources tell
    that a driver from http://www.feral.com/isp.html is much better
    in that and many other aspects. I would try it in your place.

    Actually ready binary kernels you can find on

    ftp://ftp2.compaq.com/pub/linux/RedH...updates/srpms/

    have this driver already. Look for 'isp_mod', IIRC.
    There was a very recent kernel security update which may be not yet
    available on that site but if not now then "soon".

    Michal

+ Reply to Thread