3D hardware accelerated graphics adapters - Linux

This is a discussion on 3D hardware accelerated graphics adapters - Linux ; Hi again, After Googling a lot and reading this forum, I still have no clear indication of which graphics adapter provide 3D hardware acceleration on Alpha Linux, except perhaps for the Radeon 7500 (AGP version only if I remember correctly). ...

  1. 3D hardware accelerated graphics adapters

    Hi again,

    After Googling a lot and reading this forum, I still have no clear
    indication of which graphics adapter provide 3D hardware acceleration on
    Alpha Linux, except perhaps for the Radeon 7500 (AGP version only if I
    remember correctly). In fact, I'm looking for a graphics adapter that
    would be supported by the four major OSes on the Alpha platform (Tru64,
    OpenVMS, Windows NT and Linux; sorry *BSD) and that would provide 3D
    acceleration. The only one video card supported by all these OSes seems
    to be the ELSA Gloria Synergy (a.k.a. PowerStorm 4D10T), and I imagine
    all other variants of Permedia2-based devices (like the Fire GL 1000
    Pro, AccelSTAR II, etc.) will work too. But being supported doesn't mean
    3D acceleration is provided too. And unfortunately, the Alpha Linux
    supported graphics adapters clearly states that OpenGL and 3D
    acceleration were not taken into account to build the HCL. Any ideas of
    which ones provide 3D acceleration? In a same manner, I can't find
    similar HCLs where 3D acceleration would have been tested for Tru64,
    OpenVMS and Windows NT OSes. Any starting point?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: 3D hardware accelerated graphics adapters

    From: Emeric Maschino
    Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:53:37 +0000 (UTC)
    > Hi again,
    >
    > After Googling a lot and reading this forum, I still have no clear
    > indication of which graphics adapter provide 3D hardware acceleration on
    > Alpha Linux, except perhaps for the Radeon 7500 (AGP version only if I
    > remember correctly).

    There exist open source 3D drivers for VooDoo cards, IIRC. I used to own
    a PWS 500 with a VooDoo 4500 pci-card, and it worked great with Debian
    GNU/Linux.
    However, this was 2 years ago, so I don't know that much about it
    anymore.

    Hope this helps,
    Jurriaan
    --
    17.6: What's this ``white space'' I keep hearing about?

    A: White space is a racist, segregational term. Implicitly, ``dark''
    or ``colored'' space (i.e., the '_' character) is not good enough
    to separate tokens. More interestingly, the white space characters
    keep the other tokens apart.
    Peter Seebach - C infrequently asked questions (c) 1995,1996,1997
    Debian (Unstable) GNU/Linux 2.6.0-test10-mm1 4276 bogomips 0.17 0.10

  3. Re: 3D hardware accelerated graphics adapters

    Il Sun, 30 Nov 2003 09:07:17 +0000, jwk ha scritto:
    > There exist open source 3D drivers for VooDoo cards, IIRC. I used to own a
    > PWS 500 with a VooDoo 4500 pci-card, and it worked great with Debian
    > GNU/Linux.
    > However, this was 2 years ago, so I don't know that much about it anymore.

    Glide + DRI up to date and fully working on alpha!
    Some slowdown problems with rockets exploding in quake2, but not bad after
    all...

    Ciao!
    gl

  4. Re: 3D hardware accelerated graphics adapters

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:53:37 +0000 (UTC), "Emeric Maschino"
    wrote:

    >Hi again,
    >
    >After Googling a lot and reading this forum, I still have no clear
    >indication of which graphics adapter provide 3D hardware acceleration on
    >Alpha Linux, except perhaps for the Radeon 7500 (AGP version only if I
    >remember correctly). In fact, I'm looking for a graphics adapter that
    >would be supported by the four major OSes on the Alpha platform (Tru64,
    >OpenVMS, Windows NT and Linux; sorry *BSD) and that would provide 3D
    >acceleration. The only one video card supported by all these OSes seems
    >to be the ELSA Gloria Synergy (a.k.a. PowerStorm 4D10T), and I imagine
    >all other variants of Permedia2-based devices (like the Fire GL 1000
    >Pro, AccelSTAR II, etc.) will work too. But being supported doesn't mean
    >3D acceleration is provided too. And unfortunately, the Alpha Linux
    >supported graphics adapters clearly states that OpenGL and 3D
    >acceleration were not taken into account to build the HCL. Any ideas of
    >which ones provide 3D acceleration? In a same manner, I can't find
    >similar HCLs where 3D acceleration would have been tested for Tru64,
    >OpenVMS and Windows NT OSes. Any starting point?
    >
    >Thank you.
    >

    >--

    Hi there Emeric

    The radeon 7500 I beleive is supported by VMS, tru64 and linux, not
    sure about bsd though more than likely some time in the future, for
    windows 2000 the only card i know of and that is supported by the
    others is the Permedia 2, in my case I use a diamond flire gl 1000 in
    an XP1000. Compared with modern cards it's not very hot for 3d though
    is OK for 2d.

    What sort of Alpha are you running? Do you have all 4 os inside one
    Alpha.

    You can pick up cheap diamond fires gl 1000 cheap on ebay.

    http://www.islandco.com/graphics.html

    My advice though is to buy a PC for Windows. You can pick them up
    cheap and since M$ stop support immediatly for Alpha windows when 2000
    was cancelled, there is a lot more support and drivers etc on x86
    rather than Alpha.

    You can pick up dual PIII xeon systems on ebay pretty cheap, there
    fairly similar to ALphas in that they have relatively low clock speeds
    though have good cache sizes, and plenty of grunt.

    In my xp1000 I run VMS, Tru64 and Debian linux. I have another Alpha
    I'm considering purchasing a radeon 7500 for. Unless you have the
    latest versions of tru64 and vms I beleive you have to get a patch
    from somewhere.

    Anyway hope this helps.

    Kind regards,

    Peter Watkinson
    peter.watkinson1@ntlworld.com
    remove to reply :-)

  5. Re: 3D hardware accelerated graphics adapters

    Dear Emeric & list,

    Looks like you've done your homework. The permedia 2 card is pretty
    much it, if you want to run "all four" of the OS groups. If you can do
    without Microsoft, then the 3dLabs Oxygen VX1 is pretty good and
    supports reasonable 3d in Tru64 and VMS (i'm not sure about Linux, as
    I don't have any 3d apps running under that OS).

    If you don't need Linux - and if you want to put in a lot of effort,
    most of what you get in a standard Linux distro is available for Tru64
    - then the late model Powerstorm cards are really quite good.
    Especially the Powerstorm 350. It costs as much as 2 new PCs, though.
    I got mine on eBay.

    If all you are running is Linux, of course, you have a wide range of
    choice.

    good luck

    jn

    > >Hi again,
    > >
    > >After Googling a lot and reading this forum, I still have no clear
    > >indication of which graphics adapter provide 3D hardware acceleration on
    > >Alpha Linux, except perhaps for the Radeon 7500 (AGP version only if I
    > >remember correctly). In fact, I'm looking for a graphics adapter that
    > >would be supported by the four major OSes on the Alpha platform (Tru64,
    > >OpenVMS, Windows NT and Linux; sorry *BSD) and that would provide 3D
    > >acceleration. The only one video card supported by all these OSes seems
    > >to be the ELSA Gloria Synergy (a.k.a. PowerStorm 4D10T), and I imagine
    > >all other variants of Permedia2-based devices (like the Fire GL 1000
    > >Pro, AccelSTAR II, etc.) will work too

  6. Re: 3D hardware accelerated graphics adapters

    thursday@allidaho.com (jon_norstog) writes:

    > Looks like you've done your homework. The permedia 2 card is pretty
    > much it, if you want to run "all four" of the OS groups. If you can do
    > without Microsoft, then the 3dLabs Oxygen VX1 is pretty good and
    > supports reasonable 3d in Tru64 and VMS (i'm not sure about Linux, as
    > I don't have any 3d apps running under that OS).

    There's no 3D support for the VX1 in Linux.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  7. Re: 3D hardware accelerated graphics adapters

    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > thursday@allidaho.com (jon_norstog) writes:
    >

    >>Looks like you've done your homework. The permedia 2 card is pretty
    >>much it, if you want to run "all four" of the OS groups. If you can do
    >>without Microsoft, then the 3dLabs Oxygen VX1 is pretty good and
    >>supports reasonable 3d in Tru64 and VMS (i'm not sure about Linux, as
    >>I don't have any 3d apps running under that OS).

    > There's no 3D support for the VX1 in Linux.

    Same for Tru64, VMS(?).

  8. Re: 3D hardware accelerated graphics adapters

    To the list:

    I stand corrected. There is no 3d support in Tru64 on the VX1 card
    .... it autodetects, so you don't have to go through the usual hassle
    of loading drivers and reconfiguring the kernel, so I never noticed.
    The manual is silent about anything but 2D.

    A good 3D card for Tru64 is the Powerstorm 350. If you can find one
    cheap.

    later

    jn

    Bob Marcan wrote in message news:...
    > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > > thursday@allidaho.com (jon_norstog
    > >
    > > There's no 3D support for the VX1 in Linux.
    > >

    > Same for Tru64, VMS(?).

+ Reply to Thread