Alpha PC Help! - Linux

This is a discussion on Alpha PC Help! - Linux ; Hi, I have an Alpha PC given to me, all I know is it is a AlphaPC 164LX with a Digital Alpha 21164 CPU??? I know this is the wrong place to ask this but I can not find anywhere ...

  1. Alpha PC Help!

    Hi,

    I have an Alpha PC given to me, all I know is it is a AlphaPC 164LX with a
    Digital Alpha 21164 CPU???

    I know this is the wrong place to ask this but I can not find anywhere else
    to ask!

    How do I install Windows NT!! It asks me to identify my machine but I do not
    know which option to pick!

    Any help would be extremely appreciated.

    Thanks

    Stephen

  2. Re: Alpha PC Help!

    "Mitsubishi0uk" writes:

    > I have an Alpha PC given to me, all I know is it is a AlphaPC 164LX with a
    > Digital Alpha 21164 CPU???

    That sounds reasonable.

    > I know this is the wrong place to ask this but I can not find anywhere else
    > to ask!
    >
    > How do I install Windows NT!! It asks me to identify my machine but I do not
    > know which option to pick!

    Why do you want to install that? Running Linux or Tru64 is much more
    fun.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  3. Re: Alpha PC Help!

    click here for detailed instructions.
    http://www.microway.com/installnt.html

    Questions like this really bother me. Here's a guy who obviously knows
    about the Usenet and also can post to a specific newsgroup, which places
    him in a select minority of advanced web users.
    Yet he's too lazy or stupid to learn how to use a browser.
    It took me all of 5 seconds to type in "Install Windows NT on Alpha
    PC164LX" on Google.
    ***arrrrrrgggggghhhhh*****

    Mitsubishi0uk wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an Alpha PC given to me, all I know is it is a AlphaPC 164LX with a
    > Digital Alpha 21164 CPU???
    >
    > I know this is the wrong place to ask this but I can not find anywhere else
    > to ask!
    >
    > How do I install Windows NT!! It asks me to identify my machine but I do not
    > know which option to pick!
    >
    > Any help would be extremely appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stephen

  4. Re: Alpha PC Help!

    Måns Rullgård wrote:

    > Why do you want to install that? Running Linux or Tru64 is much more
    > fun.

    Hi, for Linux --> easy
    Tru64 allways crash ??.

  5. Re: Alpha PC Help!

    Hey Tom!
    I saw his posting as a basic troll. Even in this newsgroup, folks do
    try to help - if someone has taken the basic steps I have seen lots of help.
    Back to your comment, 5 seconds of googling, 5 seconds less of trolling.
    bb
    Tom Crabtree wrote:
    > click here for detailed instructions.
    > http://www.microway.com/installnt.html
    >
    > Questions like this really bother me. Here's a guy who obviously knows
    > about the Usenet and also can post to a specific newsgroup, which places
    > him in a select minority of advanced web users.
    > Yet he's too lazy or stupid to learn how to use a browser.
    > It took me all of 5 seconds to type in "Install Windows NT on Alpha
    > PC164LX" on Google.
    > ***arrrrrrgggggghhhhh*****

    > Mitsubishi0uk wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have an Alpha PC given to me, all I know is it is a AlphaPC 164LX
    >> with a
    >> Digital Alpha 21164 CPU???
    >>
    >> I know this is the wrong place to ask this but I can not find anywhere
    >> else
    >> to ask!
    >>
    >> How do I install Windows NT!! It asks me to identify my machine but I
    >> do not
    >> know which option to pick!
    >>
    >> Any help would be extremely appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Stephen

  6. Re: Alpha PC Help!

    Cyril writes:

    >> Why do you want to install that? Running Linux or Tru64 is much more
    >> fun.
    >>

    > Hi, for Linux --> easy
    > Tru64 allways crash ??.

    At my university, they used to run ~100 Alpha machines with Tru64.
    Nobody has ever heard of one crashing, except for a few cases of
    faulty hardware. Sure, crappy applications, like netscape, crash all
    the time, but the system is rock solid. Not that Linux ever crashes
    on good hardware.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  7. Re: Alpha PC Help!

    Hi Tom,

    Thanks for the help !!

    Not too lazy (found the user group) not too stupid (found the user group)
    Have learned something along the way,

    Maybe I try Linux or Tru64
    And you meet some nice people and some .....

    Thanks anyway

    Stephen

    "Tom Crabtree" wrote in message
    > click here for detailed instructions.
    > http://www.microway.com/installnt.html
    >
    > Questions like this really bother me. Here's a guy who obviously knows
    > about the Usenet and also can post to a specific newsgroup, which places
    > him in a select minority of advanced web users.
    > Yet he's too lazy or stupid to learn how to use a browser.
    > It took me all of 5 seconds to type in "Install Windows NT on Alpha
    > PC164LX" on Google.
    > ***arrrrrrgggggghhhhh*****

    > Mitsubishi0uk wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have an Alpha PC given to me, all I know is it is a AlphaPC 164LX with

    > > Digital Alpha 21164 CPU???
    > >
    > > I know this is the wrong place to ask this but I can not find anywhere

    else
    > > to ask!
    > >
    > > How do I install Windows NT!! It asks me to identify my machine but I do

    not
    > > know which option to pick!
    > >
    > > Any help would be extremely appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Stephen

  8. Re: Alpha PC Help!

    Stephen:

    If you've learned something, then my job is done. :-)

    Mitsubishi0uk wrote:

    > Hi Tom,
    >
    > Thanks for the help !!
    >
    > Not too lazy (found the user group) not too stupid (found the user group)
    > Have learned something along the way,
    >
    > Maybe I try Linux or Tru64
    > And you meet some nice people and some .....
    >
    > Thanks anyway
    >
    > Stephen
    >

    > "Tom Crabtree" wrote in message
    >
    >>click here for detailed instructions.
    >>http://www.microway.com/installnt.html
    >>
    >>Questions like this really bother me. Here's a guy who obviously knows
    >>about the Usenet and also can post to a specific newsgroup, which places
    >>him in a select minority of advanced web users.
    >>Yet he's too lazy or stupid to learn how to use a browser.
    >>It took me all of 5 seconds to type in "Install Windows NT on Alpha
    >>PC164LX" on Google.
    >>***arrrrrrgggggghhhhh*****

    >>Mitsubishi0uk wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I have an Alpha PC given to me, all I know is it is a AlphaPC 164LX with

    >>>Digital Alpha 21164 CPU???
    >>>
    >>>I know this is the wrong place to ask this but I can not find anywhere

    > else
    >
    >>>to ask!
    >>>
    >>>How do I install Windows NT!! It asks me to identify my machine but I do

    > not
    >
    >>>know which option to pick!
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be extremely appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Stephen

  9. Re: Alpha PC Help!

    Dear Stephen, & list:

    WRT windows NT on Alpha machines:

    There is no list anywhere for NT on alpha, not enough demand I guess.
    The i86 guys mostly haven't a clue when it comes to Alpha issues.
    Yeah, it's off-topic but I don't mind helping out ...

    WRT to NT for Alpha - I run it, as well as Tru64 and Linux. NT on
    alpha is unusually fast, shocking to someone who is used to runnung MS
    products on i86 kit. There are a fair number of native 64-bit
    programs for it, and it will run most 32-bit windows programs by way
    of an emulator called FX!32. The only game I've tried on it is Riven,
    which runs OK.

    The AlphaPCs mostly came with AlphaBios but many have a bootloader
    called MILO. (To run Linux you use MILO as the main loader.) You need
    to get to what is called the ARC console - if you have it. Some of
    the PC boards only had room for one console in the ROM. If that's the
    case, you may have to flash in AlphaBios. Try hitting F2 at your
    console prompt and see what happens. If you can get in you should have
    an "install NT" utility.

    A manual can be downloaded from

    http://www.microway.com/downloads/LX/LX_USER.pdf

    you can download a fresh AlphaBios fom

    http://www.microway.com/downloads/LX/

    The standard NT 4.0 distro included both Alpha and i86 on a single CD.
    Make sure you have your key code. If you have to buy it, don't pay
    over $40 new. NT alpha drivers, service packs, software and
    documentation are disappearing fast, but a lot of it can be found at

    ftp://dutlbcz.lr.tudelft.nl/alphant/

    There is a beta version of windows2000 for Alpha that has escaped into
    the wild. It is a server version and has some nice features, but lacks
    that lightning-fast quality that is unique to NT 4.0 on alpha.

    If you like your Alpha, I would recommend looking for a better
    machine. The best deal right now is the "Miata" class of 433, 500 and
    600 mhz "personal workstations." The best ones are the "gl" models
    with the USB ports on the back. I just got a late model PWS500 gl on
    eBay for $157, shipping included.

    I don't use NT much at all, except to run my CAD program, ArcView,
    Corel Draw and WordPerfect. And I absolutely will NOT go on-line with
    any Microsoft product.

    I think that the best thing to say about NT on alpha is you don't have
    to keep a PC around to run windows applications.

    Well, good luck to you Stephen, enjoy your Alpha.

    jn

    > If you've learned something, then my job is done. :-)

    > Mitsubishi0uk wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Tom,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the help !!
    > >
    > > Not too lazy (found the user group) not too stupid (found the user group)
    > > Have learned something along the way,
    > >
    > > Maybe I try Linux or Tru64
    > > And you meet some nice people and some .....
    > >
    > > Thanks anyway

+ Reply to Thread