Java for linux? - Linux

This is a discussion on Java for linux? - Linux ; Hi, what happened to the java sdk for Alpha Linux? I seem to remember there was a release from Compaq. No trace left of it with HP, or do I search the wrong places? Andreas....

  1. Java for linux?

    Hi,

    what happened to the java sdk for Alpha Linux? I seem to remember there was
    a release from Compaq. No trace left of it with HP, or do I search the
    wrong places?

    Andreas.

  2. Re: Java for linux?

    Andreas Feldner writes:

    > what happened to the java sdk for Alpha Linux? I seem to remember there was
    > a release from Compaq. No trace left of it with HP, or do I search the
    > wrong places?

    ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/linuxdevtools/latest/

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  3. Re: Java for linux?

    Hi.

    mru@kth.se (Måns Rullgård) writes:

    > Andreas Feldner writes:
    >
    > > what happened to the java sdk for Alpha Linux? I seem to remember there was
    > > a release from Compaq. No trace left of it with HP, or do I search the
    > > wrong places?

    > ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/linuxdevtools/latest/
    >
    > --
    > Måns Rullgård
    > mru@kth.se

    Recently I observed that my installation only works with no
    graphical interface. Everything which needs a graphical interface dies
    with an assertion. Have anybody observed a similiar problem?

    I have a Debian testing on a PWS 500au running.

    TIA

    Torsten

    --
    s-mail: Neckarstr. 120 Torsten Zirzlaff
    70190 Stuttgart

    | The shortest unit of time in the universe is the New York Second, defined |
    | as the period of time between the traffic lights turning green and the cab |
    | behind you honking. -- Terry Pratchett 'Lords and Ladies' |

  4. Re: Java for linux?

    Torsten Zirzlaff wrote:

    > Recently I observed that my installation only works with no
    > graphical interface. Everything which needs a graphical interface dies
    > with an assertion. Have anybody observed a similiar problem?

    I don't know about graphical interface.
    But I wrote few programs which uses just text interface and do little
    things with network.

    And I came up to errors, code which runs ok in x86/sun jre,alpha/gcj and
    sparc/sun jre gives segfault in alpha/hp jre.
    Code is very simple, only transmit some UDP data.

    Don't know exactly where's the problem, but now I prefer to use gcj.

    Running Debian/Testing on PWS433.

  5. Re: Java for linux?

    Torsten Zirzlaff writes:

    >> > what happened to the java sdk for Alpha Linux? I seem to remember
    >> > there was a release from Compaq. No trace left of it with HP, or
    >> > do I search the wrong places?

    >> ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/linuxdevtools/latest/

    > Recently I observed that my installation only works with no
    > graphical interface. Everything which needs a graphical interface dies
    > with an assertion. Have anybody observed a similiar problem?

    I haven't used java in a while, but last I tried, everything worked as
    expected. I'm using a heavily customized slackware on SX164 and Miata
    433.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mru@kth.se

  6. Re: Java for linux?

    Torsten Zirzlaff wrote:

    > Recently I observed that my installation only works with no
    > graphical interface. Everything which needs a graphical interface dies
    > with an assertion. Have anybody observed a similiar problem?
    >
    > I have a Debian testing on a PWS 500au running.

    Never seen that behaviour. Perhaps a font problem? There are a few true type
    fonts bundled with the VM, and these are configured as standard fonts. I
    don't know what would happen, if, e.g., your display didn't like true type
    fonts.

    I have a different strange problem: java applications cannot handle
    non-US-ascii characters anymore on my machine. They are converted to a
    non-filled rectangle, Unicode 0xfffd I believe. The trouble may have
    started after switching from SuSE to Debian. I didn't use java for a long
    time, but it definitely worked once in the past. I'm completely at a loss
    where to search for the cause of that. I did a few experiments with LANG
    and LC_... environment variables but it made no difference.

    Finally: The lack of any reference to that Alpha Linux SDK on the HP web
    seems to make clear that there's no support at all by the new owners for
    this piece of software? For me it's not the most important point that
    there's no version for free download (would depend on the price then), it's
    just that it's not possible at all to get, e.g. a Java 1.4 SDK for Linux,
    though there seem to be products for Tru64 and VMS. Probable the Tru64
    flavour would run on Linux, but that's also not payable software, but
    licensable only to Tru64 licensees. Do I have to understand the licensing
    terms of HP? Perhaps if commercial software vendors had more business than
    company politics in mind, they'd be more successful? ;-)

    Anyway, thanks for any hints,

    Andreas.

+ Reply to Thread