booting from cd - Linux

This is a discussion on booting from cd - Linux ; hello all, I'm having a problem booting an alpha station 200 as well as another alpha based machine from the cd drive? Im trying to install FBSD 4.9 or 5.1 but the machine doesnt seem to find the info on ...

  1. booting from cd

    hello all,
    I'm having a problem booting an alpha station 200 as well as another
    alpha
    based machine from the cd drive?
    Im trying to install FBSD 4.9 or 5.1 but the machine doesnt seem to
    find the info on the cdrom correctly.. The machine seems to read from
    the drive then
    doesnt continue. booting using command

    boot dka0 -flags '' -file ''

    Jumping to bootstrap
    Failed open file /boot/loader

    then cpu0 halt...

    is there anything noticable i can try here..

    thanks
    kfoote

  2. Re: booting from cd

    In article ,
    Kevin Foote wrote:
    >hello all,
    >I'm having a problem booting an alpha station 200 as well as another
    >alpha based machine from the cd drive?
    >Im trying to install FBSD 4.9 or 5.1 but the machine doesnt seem to
    >find the info on the cdrom correctly.. The machine seems to read from
    >the drive then doesnt continue. booting using command
    >
    >boot dka0 -flags '' -file ''
    >
    >Jumping to bootstrap
    >Failed open file /boot/loader
    >
    >then cpu0 halt...
    >
    >is there anything noticable i can try here..

    See whether your CD drive is really dka0. The command is:

    >>> show device

    If the AlphaStation 200 originally ran VMS, the CD drive is probably
    dka400, and the hard drive is dka0.

    carl
    --
    carl lowenstein marine physical lab u.c. san diego
    clowenst@ucsd.edu

  3. Re: booting from cd

    Kevin Foote wrote:

    > hello all,
    > I'm having a problem booting an alpha station 200 as well as another
    > alpha
    > based machine from the cd drive?
    > Im trying to install FBSD 4.9 or 5.1 but the machine doesnt seem to
    > find the info on the cdrom correctly.. The machine seems to read from
    > the drive then
    > doesnt continue. booting using command
    >
    > boot dka0 -flags '' -file ''

    Try using double-quotes instead of apostrophes (aka "single quote").

    Also, see the FBSD on-line documentation on the 'web.

    --
    David J. Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/