Allow to boot from a PCI SCSI card? - Linux

This is a discussion on Allow to boot from a PCI SCSI card? - Linux ; Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the onboard SCSI controller and enable a SCSI PCI controller to boot from? My hardware is: Alpha Station 400 4/233 with NCR scsi controller onboard. And I want to enable boot from ...

  1. Allow to boot from a PCI SCSI card?

    Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the onboard SCSI controller and
    enable a SCSI PCI controller to boot from?

    My hardware is: Alpha Station 400 4/233 with NCR scsi controller onboard.
    And I want to enable boot from a Tekram 395UW PCI card.

    The only command I found in the SRM console is 'isacfg -enadev 0' for
    disabling an ISA card, but nothing for the inboard controller's.

    Would be nice too boot and run from the faster controller card when the disk
    I have is much faster then the onboard controller allow.

    Conny

  2. Re: Allow to boot from a PCI SCSI card?

    In article <2Mbsb.37438$dP1.132485@newsc.telia.net>, Conny wrote:
    > Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the onboard SCSI controller and
    > enable a SCSI PCI controller to boot from?
    >
    > My hardware is: Alpha Station 400 4/233 with NCR scsi controller onboard.
    > And I want to enable boot from a Tekram 395UW PCI card.
    >
    > The only command I found in the SRM console is 'isacfg -enadev 0' for
    > disabling an ISA card, but nothing for the inboard controller's.
    >
    > Would be nice too boot and run from the faster controller card when the disk
    > I have is much faster then the onboard controller allow.

    Until somebody who knows the real answer responds...

    If you're lucky, and if all you are wanting to do is boot
    from and use the PCI SCSI controller, you shouldn't have to
    disable the onboard controller.

    There are two requirements you need to meet before you can
    boot from any SCSI controller. The first is SRM needs to
    see the controller and devices. The second is your kernel
    and/or the modules in the initial RAM disk need to support
    the controller.

    Does "show device" see the disks connected to the PCI
    controller? If it does, then you can tell SRM to boot from
    that device. If SRM doesn't see your PCI controller, then
    you can't boot from it. However, you could boot from a disk
    connected to the onboard controller (have /boot on that
    disk) and then run from the faster disk (have / and
    everything else on the faster disks).

    Your kernel will need to have access to drivers for the PCI
    SCSI controller, either compiled into the kernel or
    available in modules in the initial RAM disk. I don't have
    much experience with this kind of thing.

    When I was actively using my UP2000, at one time I had a PCI
    SCSI controller with a scanner and CDROM drives on it, with
    hard disks connected to the onboard SCSI controller. SRM
    could see both controllers, and all the kernels I worked
    with supported both controllers without difficulty.

    Good luck.

    Robert Riches
    spamtrap42@verizon.net

  3. Re: Allow to boot from a PCI SCSI card?

    "Robert M. Riches Jr" skrev i meddelandet
    > In article <2Mbsb.37438$dP1.132485@newsc.telia.net>, Conny wrote:
    > > Does anyone know if it's possible to disable the onboard SCSI controller

    and
    > > enable a SCSI PCI controller to boot from?
    > >
    > > My hardware is: Alpha Station 400 4/233 with NCR scsi controller

    onboard.
    > > And I want to enable boot from a Tekram 395UW PCI card.
    > >
    > > The only command I found in the SRM console is 'isacfg -enadev 0' for
    > > disabling an ISA card, but nothing for the inboard controller's.
    > >
    > > Would be nice too boot and run from the faster controller card when the

    disk
    > > I have is much faster then the onboard controller allow.

    > Until somebody who knows the real answer responds...
    >
    > If you're lucky, and if all you are wanting to do is boot
    > from and use the PCI SCSI controller, you shouldn't have to
    > disable the onboard controller.

    The SRM can see the card in the PCI slot, but not listed as a device ( show
    dev )
    I been googling arund and found out that a second controller will be listed
    as 'dkb0'.
    My problem is that both controllers are on the same bus number. I don't know
    if it's a problem.

    Maybe I must put the card in a ordinary Intel based machine and change what
    bus to use

    But the output of the command 'show config' for the Tekram 395 card is:

    Bus Dev Function Vendor DevID Rev Interupt
    0 13 0 1de1 391 1 9

    And if it's not listed as a device I heard it may not work.

    > There are two requirements you need to meet before you can
    > boot from any SCSI controller. The first is SRM needs to
    > see the controller and devices. The second is your kernel
    > and/or the modules in the initial RAM disk need to support
    > the controller.

    The kernel supports it if I patch a .DIFF to it.

    > Does "show device" see the disks connected to the PCI
    > controller? If it does, then you can tell SRM to boot from
    > that device. If SRM doesn't see your PCI controller, then
    > you can't boot from it. However, you could boot from a disk
    > connected to the onboard controller (have /boot on that
    > disk) and then run from the faster disk (have / and
    > everything else on the faster disks).

    Yes as I thaught before, I may live with it and have the faster disks on the
    faster controller.

    > Your kernel will need to have access to drivers for the PCI
    > SCSI controller, either compiled into the kernel or
    > available in modules in the initial RAM disk. I don't have
    > much experience with this kind of thing.
    >
    > When I was actively using my UP2000, at one time I had a PCI
    > SCSI controller with a scanner and CDROM drives on it, with
    > hard disks connected to the onboard SCSI controller. SRM
    > could see both controllers, and all the kernels I worked
    > with supported both controllers without difficulty.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > Robert Riches

    Thanks for the advice

    Conny

  4. Re: Allow to boot from a PCI SCSI card?

    Conny wrote:
    > [snip]
    > The SRM can see the card in the PCI slot, but not listed as a device ( show
    > dev )
    > I been googling arund and found out that a second controller will be listed
    > as 'dkb0'.

    More correctly, in "show device" the disk with SCSI id 0 on the second
    controller will appear as dkb0.x.x.x where the "x"'s indicate bus
    numbers, "hose" numbers and such. The controller itself will appear as
    pkb0 (a pseudo-device that points to the card itself). Note that SRM may
    enumerate the cards differently compared to the way the operating system
    views them.

    Alpha config. questions are well received over on comp.os.vms and
    comp.sys.dec, but Linux-specific questions are better off here.

    > My problem is that both controllers are on the same bus number. I don't know
    > if it's a problem.

    Huh???!!!

    > Maybe I must put the card in a ordinary Intel based machine and change what
    > bus to use
    >
    > But the output of the command 'show config' for the Tekram 395 card is:
    >
    > Bus Dev Function Vendor DevID Rev Interupt
    > 0 13 0 1de1 391 1 9
    >
    > And if it's not listed as a device I heard it may not work.

    You'd do better to post the entire output of "show config" so Alpha
    folks can better understand how you're interpreting what you're seeing.

    --
    David J. Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

  5. Re: Allow to boot from a PCI SCSI card?

    "David J. Dachtera" skrev i meddelandet
    > Conny wrote:
    > > [snip]
    > > The SRM can see the card in the PCI slot, but not listed as a device (

    show
    > > dev )
    > > I been googling arund and found out that a second controller will be

    listed
    > > as 'dkb0'.

    > More correctly, in "show device" the disk with SCSI id 0 on the second
    > controller will appear as dkb0.x.x.x where the "x"'s indicate bus
    > numbers, "hose" numbers and such. The controller itself will appear as
    > pkb0 (a pseudo-device that points to the card itself). Note that SRM may
    > enumerate the cards differently compared to the way the operating system
    > views them.
    >
    > Alpha config. questions are well received over on comp.os.vms and
    > comp.sys.dec, but Linux-specific questions are better off here.
    >
    > > My problem is that both controllers are on the same bus number. I don't

    know
    > > if it's a problem.

    > Huh???!!!
    >
    > > Maybe I must put the card in a ordinary Intel based machine and change

    what
    > > bus to use
    > >
    > > But the output of the command 'show config' for the Tekram 395 card is:
    > >
    > > Bus Dev Function Vendor DevID Rev Interupt
    > > 0 13 0 1de1 391 1 9
    > >
    > > And if it's not listed as a device I heard it may not work.

    > You'd do better to post the entire output of "show config" so Alpha
    > folks can better understand how you're interpreting what you're seeing.

    I got it working, I also had a Tekram scsi controller card with a symbios
    chip. It showed up in SRM console, no problem to boot from it.

    Conny

+ Reply to Thread