Want ODF support in Office right now? Sun says no problem

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week, Microsoft announced plans to add support for the Open Document
| Format (ODF), among other formats, to Office 2007 with the upcoming release
| of Service Pack 2. The tech community quickly responded with mixed feelings,
| but Microsoft paid no notice; the update was going to allow seamless opening,
| editing, and saving Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents using ODF, whether
| people liked it or not. Microsoft told those interested in the move that they
| had to wait until the first half of 2009, and now Sun is telling them that
| next year has come early.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/micr...ays-no-problem

FAQ: Office 14 and Microsoft's support for ODF

,----[ Quote ]
| With its move, "if a government says ODF is our standard, then Microsoft can
| say, 'It's our standard, too,' " Creese said. But why isn't Microsoft
| committing to ODF 1.2? It's supposed to have better accessibility and
| spreadsheet features than ODF 1.1. It is already in the OpenOffice 3.0 beta,
| is expected to be finalized by OASIS this fall and is on target to be
| ratified by ISO next summer.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...intsrc=hm_list

Still roadblocks ahead for OOXML:

OOXML ratification faces delay after objection

,----[ Quoye ]
| On Tuesday, an ISO representative told ZDNet UK that the organization will
| not comment on SABS's objection until the appeal deadline closes at the end
| of May.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/OOXML-ratificat...0-20&subj=news

Recent:

BE, NL: governments will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| Asked to comment on last week's ISO approval for OOXML, Fedict's chief IT
| architect, Peter Strickx, said: "There will have to be multiple
| implementations, in order for us not to become dependent on a single vendor.
| It will also have to be compatible with open standards that we already use,
| in this case Open Document Format ODF."
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7562

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561