Virtualization can't help much with Microsoft software-licensing fees, analysts

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft customers who use Exchange Server 2007 and SQL Server 2005 are
| allowed to move virtual machines between physical servers only once per 90
| days, Burton noted. For Windows Server 2003, Burton said Microsoft generally
| offers good licensing terms, except when it comes to moving a virtual machine
| from one physical server to another. This requires a license transfer.

Microsoft a distant third in mock debate on virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware's going to win the virtualization battle, and Microsoft won't even be
| its nearest competitor.
| That was the outcome of a mock debate last week in which analysts
| representing VMware, Microsoft and the Xen open source hypervisor lobbied for
| votes from an audience of IT executives attending Forrester Research's IT
| Forum in Las Vegas.

Dell, Sun Could Suffer As Virtualization Cuts Down Server Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| He also says the trend will accelerate the cannibalization of Unix servers by
| x86 servers, which is trouble for Sun Microsystems (SUNW). He notes that Sun
| has more than 50% unit share of the Unix server market, and gets more than a
| third of its revenue from Unix servers.

The Year of Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| I think that Windows will continue to succumb to Linux in the data
| center, MySQL and Postgres will continue to win projects that once
| fell to Oracle and DB/2.

Virtualization: Linux's killer app

,----[ Quote ]
| Think about it. Even Microsoft supports running Linux on its Virtual
| Server product. Why would it do that? Wouldn't an OS partitioning
| technology, such as that used by OpenVz or Sun Solaris, be more in
| keeping with the kind of homogeneous environments that Microsoft
| would like to see? Why would Microsoft invest its resources to
| support a virtual machine technology that can only open the
| door to Linux in the datacenter?

Virtualisation gets trendy

,----[ Quote ]
| The fact that so many areas of IT are affected by virtualisation is
| perhaps testament to how fundamental a concept it is to separate
| computer resource from the underlying physical hardware and
| demonstrates this is a strategic issue with a broad impact
| that has to be considered at the highest levels of IT management.

The truth about KVM and Xen

,----[ Quote ]
| When the distros first shipped Xen, it was done mostly out of desperation.
| Virtualization was, and still is, the "hot" thing. Linux did not provide any
| native hypervisor capability. Most Linux developers didn't even really know
| that much about virtualization. Xen was a pretty easy to use purpose-built
| kernel that had a pretty good community. So we made the hasty decision to
| ship Xen instead of investing in making Linux a proper hypervisor.
| This decision has come back to haunt us now in the form of massive confusion.
| When people talk about Xen not being merged into Linux, I don't think they
| realize that Xen will *never* be merged into Linux. Xen will always be a
| separate, purpose-built kernel. There are patches to Linux that enable it to
| run well as a guest under Xen. These patches are likely to be merged in the
| future, but Xen will never been a part of the Linux kernel.
| [...]
| Looking at the rest of the industry, I'm surprised that other kernels haven't
| gone in the direction of Linux in terms of adding hypervisor support directly
| to the kernel.
| Why is Windows not good enough to act a hypervisor such that Microsoft had to
| write a new kernel from scratch (Hyper-V)?
| Why is Solaris not good enough to act as a hypervisor requiring Sun to ship
| Xen in xVM? Solaris is good enough to run enterprise workloads but not good
| enough to run a Windows VM? Really? Maybe :-)
| Forget about all of the "true hypervisor" FUD you may read. The real question
| to ask yourself is what is so wrong with these other kernels that they aren't
| capable of running virtual machines well and instead have to rely on a
| relatively young and untested microkernel to do their heavy lifting?

Quick-boot Linux environment makes a splash

,----[ Quote ]
| Asus says it plans to ship over a million Splashtop-ready motherboards per
| month, making this one of the largest Linux deployments ever.

Desktop virtualization is inevitable

,----[ Quote ]
| At the risk of sounding like an IT marketing cliche, desktop virtualization
| could be a win-win. IT gets operational simplicity and security while users
| get freedom of choice. With virtualization in place, users can bring in their
| familiar Macs and do their jobs without a hitch. Sure, the burden goes to the
| data center and the network, but aren't we headed in that direction anyway?

Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFIPVpbU4xAY3RXLo4RAm8CAJ4wDtLEs4nqN6xufQL+Aj eEeA/05gCfQ+bj