[News] [Rival] Microsoft Exploits Buddies at New York Times for Platform Lock-in - Linux

  1. [News] [Rival] Microsoft Exploits Buddies at New York Times for Platform Lock-in

    NY Times readers give thumbs down to Silverlight

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While the Mac version provides better searching than its Windows sibling
    | (with full text searching over seven days rather then one day of headlines,
    | bylines and article summaries), text flow is not supported so the view is
    | restricted to four pre-set window sizes, and copy and paste are not
    | accessible.
    `----

    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18473/1151/

    The XAML infection (Silverblight [sic]) is also a shot at rival browsers, so
    antitrust is likely.

    Another Online Headache For Microsoft (MSFT): Browser Competition

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to The New York Times "With tasks like e-mail and word processing
    | now migrating from the PC to the Internet, analysts and industry players
    | think the browser will soon become even more valuable and strategically
    | important."
    `----

    http://www.247wallst.com/2008/05/another-online.html

    So why does the New York Times lock out Microsoft's #1 rival then? To prevent
    or slow this down? The NTY seems to be the host of plenty of the Windows
    7avpouware roadshow at the moment.

    Related:

    Inadvertently Proving the Opposite by Knocking Down a Strawman [at NYT]

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I’m not sure who told Mr. Gomes that Ubuntu, for example, has never needed a
    | security update. (If anyone actually did, I respectfully suggest that Mr.
    | Gomes reconsider his use of that source.) Â*
    `----

    http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog...about_gnu.html

    Microsoft Delivers Major Piece of Nothing; NYT Does It Up Front Page

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Please. This story is more appropriate for placement in the Times’ Bits blog,
    | if its to be presented anywhere in the folds of the publication. Markoff’s
    | efforts in reporting the latest news in the tech industry would’ve been
    | better spent on another item.
    `----

    http://www.profy.com/2007/09/03/micr...up-front-page/

    Windows Live Installer Thingy Coming This Week

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The NYT calls this a Netscape-level event, meaning it may be as significant
    | as when Microsoft released the first version of Internet Explorer in 1995 and
    | eventually brought Netscape to its knees. “The empire is preparing to strike
    | back — again” writes John Markoff.
    |
    | That seems like a bit of a stretch to me. The important new web services are
    | all browser based, and Microsoft has no competitive advantage over offerings
    | from Google, Yahoo, AOL and thousands of new web startups all trying to move
    | users from away from the desktop.
    `----

    http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/09/03...ing-this-week/

    NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The New York Times continues to perplex with its analyst- quoting
    | policy. Rather than having analysts declare their ties to clients,
    | the paper would prefer to quote analysts that have no experience
    | with a client - a protocol which seems to undermine the very point
    | of citing analysts.
    |
    | The Register this week started pushing the Times to explain its
    | quoting stance after noticing that Rob Enderle - the most quoted
    | technology analyst on the planet - had been blocked from commenting
    | on companies with which he has a financial relationship. The ban
    | against Enderle appeared odd, given that Times reporters continue
    | to cite analysts from larger firms who also have financial
    | relationships with the companies discussed.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Just days after banning Enderle from discussing Microsoft because
    | he has Microsoft as a client, the Times quoted Gartner analyst
    | Michael Silver and AMR Research analyst Jim Murphy in a story
    | about Microsoft's Windows and Office software.
    |
    | If the paper would prefer not to quote an analyst who has
    | experience with a client, it did a poor job. Silver is Gartner's
    | vice president in charge of client computing. Microsoft happens to
    | do lots of business with Gartner and also happens to have a
    | client-software monopoly. We're guessing that Silver knows
    | Microsoft's products well and has direct involvement with the
    | company.
    |
    | And, sure enough, he appears a number of times on Microsoft's
    | own site and thousands of times in stories about Microsoft.
    |
    | Jim Murphy - wait for it - covers Microsoft too and is even more
    | prolific than Silver.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Part of the problem stems from the reticence of companies such as
    | IDC and Gartner to reveal their clients. That should make everyone
    | nervous, but it doesn't. So called objective technology publications
    | keep publishing material bought by vendors without telling you this.
    | They're also too lazy or scared to ignore the likes of Gartner and
    | IDC until the firms change their disclosure rules.
    |
    | As it turns out, there's a cottage industry devoted to Rob
    | Enderle, where Linux zealots fire off this form letter to editors
    | whenever Enderle appears talking about Microsoft. Perhaps the Linux
    | crowd could put its fabled collective mind toward creating letters
    | for all the major analysts. Lord knows, the Times could use
    | some help.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Exploits Buddies at New York Times for Platform Lock-in

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18473/1151/
    >
    > http://www.247wallst.com/2008/05/another-online.html
    >
    > http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog...about_gnu.html
    >
    > http://www.profy.com/2007/09/03/micr...up-front-page/
    >
    > http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/09/03...ing-this-week/
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

    Spamowitz sources: 5 blogs and a 1.5 year old article that you've probably
    posted dozens of times.

    I would normally say 'Can you sink any lower?' but by now it's rhetorical.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Exploits Buddies at New York Times for Platform Lock-in

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 09:35:05 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18473/1151/
    >>
    >> http://www.247wallst.com/2008/05/another-online.html
    >>
    >> http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog...about_gnu.html
    >>
    >> http://www.profy.com/2007/09/03/micr...up-front-page/
    >>
    >> http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/09/03...ing-this-week/
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/

    > Spamowitz sources: 5 blogs and a 1.5 year old article that you've probably
    > posted dozens of times.
    >
    > I would normally say 'Can you sink any lower?' but by now it's rhetorical.

    It's probably due to the fact that you are killing him with all of your
    FACTUAL posts about Ubuntu, Fedora 9 and other Linux distributions
    freezing.

    Every one of your posts is verifiable, unlike the SPAM that Schestowitz
    spews all over the place multiple times.

    It appears that Roy Schestowitz is a paid shill for Ubuntu because he
    really seems to twitch and squirm when you expose the slopware.

    I'll bet his masters are unhappy with his performance these days because he
    seems to be reduced to off topic reposts of the same old paranoid spewage.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Exploits Buddies at New York Times for Platform Lock-in

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic