What to expect from the community

,----[ Quote ]
| For organic open-source communities, bug fixes, code contributions, etc. can
| be expected, though not to the levels commonly expected. It turns out that
| all (or nearly all) communities are small, even for projects like Linux and
| Apache. Some, like Drupal, break this mold, but they are the exception, not
| the rule.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9952321-16.html

Taking a risk on open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Sit back and let me tell you a story about a game-changing open source
| e-commerce project, an emerging web development firm in Bloomington, and how
| folks there discovered this project and I, in turn, discovered them.
`----

http://www.minnpost.com/minnov8/2008...on_open_source

Recent:

Alfresco Updates its OSS Enterprise Content Manager

,----[ Quote ]
| According to open source blogger Matt Asay, who is also general manager of
| the Americas for Alfresco, Alfresco had about "about five thousand plus
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| registered developers" as of late last year. More information on Alfresco
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Enterprise 2.2 is available at the company's site.
`----

http://ostatic.com/161905-blog/alfre...ontent-manager

Coders Tell Why They're Avoiding Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. undoubtedly wanted to avoid its current predicament. It has
| been publicly talking up features in Vista since 2003 -- half a decade.
|
| But such "overmarketing," as Krasowski calls it, can rebound. Experienced
| developers have become jaded towards the third-party apps Microsoft trots out
| as exemplars of Redmond's latest technology -- "demoware," he calls them --
| that sparkle with flashy animation and video.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ing_vista.html

Survey: Programmers shunning Vista for Mac OS and Linux

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com...-os-and-linux/

Developers not touching Microsoft Vista with a 10-foot pole

http://vista.blorge.com/2008/05/18/d...-10-foot-pole/
http://tinyurl.com/5ewsur

Study: ~50% of Norwegian Software Vendors Integrate FOSS Components

,----[ Quote ]
| ... based on an extensive screening of software companies, with more than 700
|
| Analysis shows that close to 50% of the software industry integrate OSS
| components into vertical solutions serving all major business sectors.
|
| In addition, more than 30% of the companies using OSS components have over
| 40% of their income from OSS related services or software.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/325

Embedded Linux Workshop Proves Big Attraction at Hi-Tech Developers Event

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/tham...ers-event.html