CollabSummit Videos: Communities within Communities

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago we posted video from the first day of our Linux Foundation
| Collaboration Summit as well as a dozen personal interviews with interesting
| folks who attended. (And believe me left out so many interesting people it’s
| painful to think about.) I’ve just been catching up on the personal ones,
| most of which taught me something new.
|
| As I watched and/or listened it struck me how many communities within
| communities were represented at the Summit. When we created the event our
| mission was to bring members of the Linux ecosystem together who normally
| don’t collaborate enough, but who should. Developers tend to talk to
| developers, industry talks to industry, end users yell at their vendors, but
| often don’t get to talk to the “community.” So far it seems to have been
| moderately successful. [Sometimes I struggle writing about community since it
| can mean so many things to so many people. Just as Eskimos have a dozen
| different words for “snow,” we need more words to describe “community.”]
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/webl...n-communities/

Red Hat Builds New Community Around Security

,----[ Quote ]
| The new effort comes on the heels of Google, Novell and others supporting an
| open source Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) effort, called oCert.
| Though Red Hat is supportive of oCERT, it is not an official member.
`----

http://telecom-expense-management-so...27/3467843.htm

PHP, Python, Samba get security tick of approval

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Australia president and software engineer for Sun, Stewart Smith,
| disagreed with Gibson: "With all due respect to the person who said that, you
| can't trust closed source software because you can't review the code," he
| told ZDNet.com.au.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securit...tm?omnRef=1337

Recent:

Vista Called as Vulnerable as Predecessors

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks as if Vista's reputation for improved security could be heading for
| the pages of history. PC Tools has renewed last week's attack on the platform
| with new figures that appear to back up its claim that Vista is almost as
| vulnerable as its predecessors.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...decessors.html

Vista security credentials tarnished in malware survey

,----[ Quote ]
| "[Vista]has been hailed by Microsoft as the most secure version of Windows to
| date. However, recent research conducted with statistics from over 1.4
| million computers within the ThreatFire community has shown that Windows
| Vista is more susceptible to malware than the eight year old Windows 2000
| operating system, and only 37 per cent more secure than Windows XP," said
| Simon Clausen, chief exec at PC Tools.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05...alware_survey/

Vista as Insecure as Windows 2000