[News] Bad News for Microsoft's Partner, Betrayal of Linux Counterparts - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Bad News for Microsoft's Partner, Betrayal of Linux Counterparts - Linux ; Novell hopping with news, but it’s not all good ,----[ Quote ] | But the news wasn’t all good for Novell: Astrum Inc., a Texas startup now | headed by two former Novell employees, for example, filed a suit against ...

  1. [News] Bad News for Microsoft's Partner, Betrayal of Linux Counterparts

    Novell hopping with news, but it’s not all good

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But the news wasn’t all good for Novell: Astrum Inc., a Texas startup now
    | headed by two former Novell employees, for example, filed a suit against
    | Novell for breach of contract in connection with the development of a
    | mini-operating system appliance. The scuttlebutt is that Novell has dumped
    | the partners in favor of a more established company.
    `----

    http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...ing-maneuvers/

    Recent:

    Novell slapped with suit for new mini-OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Astrum Inc., a software security company in Carrollton, Texas, has filed suit
    | against Novell Inc. Astrum claims that Novell violated its contract regarding
    | development of the mini-operating system appliance that Novell launched last
    | month. Novell’s JeOS or Just enough Operating System, is a miniature version
    | of the SUSE Linux Enterprise OS, which was created to help independent
    | software vendors develop or deploy new SUSE-based applications easier and
    | faster.
    |
    | Filed in U.S. District Court in Texas’ Eastern Division, the lawsuit contends
    | that the two companies entered into a mutual nondisclosure agreement on Oct.
    | 25, 2006, to develop the software appliance but Novell violated the agreement
    | by revealing confidential information to partners and customers. Then, after
    | the prototype was successfully tested in November 2007, Novell engaged rPath
    | of Raleigh, N.C., the following April to create the appliances based on SUSE
    | Linux Enterprise.
    |
    | The suit alleged breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, common
    | law misappropriation, misappropriation of ideas and promissory “estoppel,” or
    | broken promises.
    `----

    http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...r-new-mini-os/

    Should We Boycott Microsoft? Can We?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Except that it's not quite that simple. Microsoft's vision of “live and let
    | live” is predicated on its continuing use of software patents, and of the
    | open source side letting Microsoft and Novell handle all the tiresome
    | implications for open source. In effect, though, this amounts to recognising
    | Microsoft's patents, and accepting its “solutions” for the open source
    | community. “Live and let live” turns out to be tantamount to accepting
    | Microsoft's right to file, own and use software patents, which, in its turn,
    | means accepting they apply to the open source world. * * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Above all, it will send a message to the company that the open source world
    | is not falling for the old “embrace, extend and extinguish” trick, and that
    | if Microsoft really wants collaborate, "live and let live" is simply not
    | enough, because of the asymmetric bargain it implies. As a basic
    | pre-condition of working together with open source, the company needs to
    | accept free software's absolute foundation – the ability to share all its
    | code in any way and with anyone – and that, by definition, means no software
    | patents whatsoever. * * *
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/...crosoft-can-we

  2. Re: [News] Bad News for Microsoft's Partner, Betrayal of Linux Counterparts

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:57:08 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Novell hopping with news, but its not all good

    I can't wait till they sue your ass Roy Schestowitz......

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Bad News for Microsoft's Partner, Betrayal of Linux Counterparts

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Novell hopping with news, but it?s not all good
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | But the news wasn?t all good for Novell: Astrum Inc., a Texas startup
    > | now headed by two former Novell employees, for example, filed a suit
    > | against Novell for breach of contract in connection with the development
    > | of a mini-operating system appliance. The scuttlebutt is that Novell has
    > | dumped the partners in favor of a more established company.
    > `----

    http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...ing-maneuvers/

    > Recent:
    >
    > Novell slapped with suit for new mini-OS
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Astrum Inc., a software security company in Carrollton, Texas, has filed
    > | suit against Novell Inc. Astrum claims that Novell violated its contract
    > | regarding development of the mini-operating system appliance that Novell
    > | launched last month. Novell?s JeOS or Just enough Operating System, is a
    > | miniature version of the SUSE Linux Enterprise OS, which was created to
    > | help independent software vendors develop or deploy new SUSE-based
    > | applications easier and faster.
    > |
    > | Filed in U.S. District Court in Texas? Eastern Division, the lawsuit
    > | contends that the two companies entered into a mutual nondisclosure
    > | agreement on Oct. 25, 2006, to develop the software appliance but Novell
    > | violated the agreement by revealing confidential information to partners
    > | and customers. Then, after the prototype was successfully tested in
    > | November 2007, Novell engaged rPath of Raleigh, N.C., the following
    > | April to create the appliances based on SUSE Linux Enterprise.
    > |
    > | The suit alleged breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation,
    > | common law misappropriation, misappropriation of ideas and promissory
    > | ?estoppel,? or broken promises.
    > `----

    http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...r-new-mini-os/

    Wow. They learn fast. That's a page out of the manual for MicroSoft.

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  4. Re: [News] Bad News for Microsoft's Partner, Betrayal of Linux Counterparts

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  5. Re: [News] Bad News for Microsoft's Partner, Betrayal of Linux Counterparts

    Jerry McBride espoused:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Novell hopping with news, but it?s not all good
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | But the news wasn?t all good for Novell: Astrum Inc., a Texas startup
    >> | now headed by two former Novell employees, for example, filed a suit
    >> | against Novell for breach of contract in connection with the development
    >> | of a mini-operating system appliance. The scuttlebutt is that Novell has
    >> | dumped the partners in favor of a more established company.
    >> `----
    >>

    > http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...ing-maneuvers/
    >>

    >> Recent:
    >>
    >> Novell slapped with suit for new mini-OS
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Astrum Inc., a software security company in Carrollton, Texas, has filed
    >> | suit against Novell Inc. Astrum claims that Novell violated its contract
    >> | regarding development of the mini-operating system appliance that Novell
    >> | launched last month. Novell?s JeOS or Just enough Operating System, is a
    >> | miniature version of the SUSE Linux Enterprise OS, which was created to
    >> | help independent software vendors develop or deploy new SUSE-based
    >> | applications easier and faster.
    >> |
    >> | Filed in U.S. District Court in Texas? Eastern Division, the lawsuit
    >> | contends that the two companies entered into a mutual nondisclosure
    >> | agreement on Oct. 25, 2006, to develop the software appliance but Novell
    >> | violated the agreement by revealing confidential information to partners
    >> | and customers. Then, after the prototype was successfully tested in
    >> | November 2007, Novell engaged rPath of Raleigh, N.C., the following
    >> | April to create the appliances based on SUSE Linux Enterprise.
    >> |
    >> | The suit alleged breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation,
    >> | common law misappropriation, misappropriation of ideas and promissory
    >> | ?estoppel,? or broken promises.
    >> `----
    >>

    > http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.tech...r-new-mini-os/
    >>

    > Wow. They learn fast. That's a page out of the manual for MicroSoft.

    One wonders how many Microsoft people are currently "on secondment" at
    Novell just now.

  6. Re: [News] Bad News for Microsoft's Partner, Betrayal of Linux Counterparts

    been created.
    * alt.crimehip.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.emircpih.microsoft.sucks
    * alt.flame.ms-windows