[News] Spreading of Linux FUD with Dell Configurator - Linux

  1. [News] Spreading of Linux FUD with Dell Configurator

    Why the pre-loaded Linux Desktop is important

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sometimes Linux computers are more expensive than their otherwise identical
    | brothers with XP. But, they’re not always more expensive. This kind of
    | statement of ‘fact’ in a question always makes my FUD detector start to beep.
    |
    | For example, the Dell Ubuntu Linux laptop I lust for the most is the Dell
    | 1420N. Right now, May 27th 2008, the basic, no-frills model goes for $599.
    | The same model with XP… oh! Wait! You won’t be able to get it, or any other
    | computer, with XP after the next few weeks.
    |
    | In fact, since the Dell 1420 currently comes with Vista Home Premium, you may
    | not have the option of getting it with XP at all. You see Dell will only let
    | you downgrade from Vista Business or Vista Ultimate to XP Pro. The cheaper XP
    | Home? It really is well on its way to becoming history.
    |
    | Even, if you ordered a Dell 1420 with Windows as fast as you can, the 1420
    | with the closest stats to the Ubuntu-powered 1420N—1GB of RAM; 14.1 inch
    | display with 1280×800 resolution; Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.73GHz T2370 CPU;
    | and 120GB hard-drive—will cost you, drum roll please, $649. Advantage: Linux.
    |
    | So, first things first, Linux PCs may not be more expensive than Windows PCs.
    | Let’s stomp this Microsoft-sponsored urban legend into the mud right now. Got
    | it? Good.
    `----

    http://practical-tech.com/operating-...-is-important/

    Related:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Microsoft Corp is using scare tactics to exert pressure on PC vendors
    | not to explore the potential of desktop Linux", according to Novell
    | Inc president and COO, Ron Hovsepian.
    `----

    http://www.cbronline.com/article_new...F-73DF7BC4F8E0

    Dell's secret Linux fling

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dell's love affair with Linux is a clandestine affair these days,
    | conducted in secret, away from disapproving eyes. But now the pair
    | have been spotted in China.
    |
    | When Michael Dell first saw the web-footed beauty, he fell head over
    | heels. Six years ago Dell pledged a series of strategic investments
    | in Linux companies, including Eazel and Red Hat. The romance
    | attracted the disapproval of Microsoft however, and barely lasted
    | weeks. Very quietly, Dell dumped the bird.
    |
    | It later emerged that Microsoft's OEM enforcer Joachim Kempin had
    | promised Steve Ballmer that he'd be putting the screws on PCb
    | uilders, or "hitting the OEMs harder" in his words.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01...l_linux_china/

    Microsoft Shuts Down Linux 10 Years Ago Says Iowa Attorne

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Going back now to as early as 1998, Microsoft starts to realize that
    | Linux might pose a possible threat, and Vinod Valloppillil, who is
    | a program manager at Microsoft, is asked by Mr. Allchin, Jim Allchin,
    | to analyze potential strategies for combatting open-source software,
    | and specifically Linux.
    | His memos are leaked to the press in April -- I beg your pardon --
    | in October of 1998 and become known as the Halloween documents.
    | And the evidence will be that Microsoft uses its influence in the
    | OEM channel, the computer manufacture channel, to make sure that
    | end users have a difficult time buying PCs with Linux preinstalled.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/R..._Iowa_Attorney

    Microsoft's Dirty OEM-Secret

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | They are, in short the secret to Microsoft's success. And the word
    | secret is to be taken quite literally: No OEM may talk about the
    | contents of his contract, or he will lose his license, and (assumption)
    | likely be sued for breach of contract as well.
    `----

    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/10/23/13219/110

    Did Microsoft want to 'whack' Dell over its Linux dealings?

    http://news.com.com/Did+Microsoft+wa...3-6153904.html

    Microsoft 'killed Dell Linux' - States

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03..._linux_states/

  2. Re: [News] Spreading of Linux FUD with Dell Configurator

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:34:11 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Why the pre-loaded Linux Desktop is important

    If it only worked.
    If Dell only advertised it.
    If people only bought it.
    If you could only find Linux on Dell's website easily...

    And do you still think Dell is interested in consumer Linux?

    Redhat gave up.

    So will Dell.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Spreading of Linux FUD with Dell Configurator

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic