[News] Sub-100 GBP GNU/Linux Laptops for British Schools - Linux

  1. [News] Sub-100 GBP GNU/Linux Laptops for British Schools

    Low-cost Linux laptop targets British education market

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Elonex is taking orders for a sub-$200 Linux-based laptop aimed at the
    | British educational market. Based on a 300MHz processor, the Elonex One
    | includes WiFi, Ethernet, Flash storage, USB, and a 7-inch, 800 x 480
    | detachable touch display.
    `----

    Recent:

    $200 computers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The KMart store clerk looks around and shows off the $600 or so PC, which was
    | not in her target price range. After a bit more asking the clerk goes, “Well,
    | we do have 1 machine in the back. Every store has only gotten one, but it’s
    | only $200.
    |
    | She asks to see it, and he brings it out. Says something about having
    | Firefox, goes onto Facebook, Google Mail, has office tools, etc. She
    | goes, “that’ll work for me” and promptly buys it.
    `----

    http://www.purinchu.net/wp/2008/05/25/200-computers/

    Chinese supplier offers 'cheapest' Linux laptop

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dubbed the Alpha 400, the Eee PC-like machine sports a 7in, 800 x 480 display
    | but is based not on an x86 processor but a 400MHz, 32-bit XBurst chip. It's
    | got 128MB of memory and 1GB of Flash storage.
    `----

    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/05...eap_eee_clone/

    Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

    | An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims that
    | manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices “have made
    | some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to put a stop to it.”
    `----

    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05...-linux-ulpcs/1

    Microsoft U-turn to stop Linux dominating ultra low cost PCs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft hopes to
    | secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of Linux, according to
    | an official at one PC maker, who asked not to be identified because he was
    | not authorised to discuss the programme.
    `----

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/techn...fm?newsid=9006

    Microsoft to limit capabilities of cheap laptops

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft plans to offer PC makers steep discounts on Windows XP Home Edition
    | to encourage them to use that OS instead of Linux on ultra low-cost PCs
    | (ULPCs). To be eligible, however, the PC vendors that make ULPCs must limit
    | screen sizes to 10.2 inches and hard drives to 80G bytes, and they cannot
    | offer touch-screen PCs.
    |
    | The program is outlined in confidential documents that Microsoft sent to PC
    | makers last month, and which were obtained by IDG News Service. The goal
    | apparently is to limit the hardware capabilities of ULPCs so that they don't
    | eat into the market for mainstream PCs running Windows Vista, something both
    | Microsoft and the PC vendors would want to avoid.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft notes that the OSes under consideration for the devices include
    | Windows and Linux. Some PC makers have expressed a preference for Linux
    | because it helps them keep down the cost of the devices.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | By offering Windows XP Home Edition at bargain prices, Microsoft hopes to
    | secure its place in the ULPC market and reduce the use of Linux, according to
    | an official at one PC maker, who asked not to be identified because he was
    | not authorized to discuss the program.
    |
    | "[Low-cost PC makers] have made some good inroads with open-source, and
    | Microsoft wants to put a stop to it," the official said.
    |
    | The official did not seem opposed to the program. It should stimulate more
    | competition between Windows and Linux in the ULPC market, and it could
    | invigorate sales because consumers who want an easy-to-use PC are likely to
    | prefer Windows, the official said.
    `----

    http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=D04...0F5F4479DEEE86

  2. Re: [News] Sub-100 GBP GNU/Linux Laptops for British Schools

    Sounds like a piece of ****.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Sub-100 GBP GNU/Linux Laptops for British Schools

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  4. Re: [News] Sub-100 GBP GNU/Linux Laptops for British Schools

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:30:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Low-cost Linux laptop targets British education market
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Elonex is taking orders for a sub-$200 Linux-based laptop aimed at the
    > | British educational market. Based on a 300MHz processor, the Elonex One
    > | includes WiFi, Ethernet, Flash storage, USB, and a 7-inch, 800 x 480
    > | detachable touch display.
    > `----

    Related article:-

    Open source trumps Microsoft in UK schools:-

    MICROSOFT has suffered further set-backs in the UK education sector this
    week after Becta, the government procurement quango, reformed its
    purchasing regime to break the software giant's hold on education, and
    launched a programme to get schools to adopt open source software.

    At least three open source software suppliers submitted tenders to Becta
    yesterday for the 270,000 Schools Open Source Project. The winner will
    spend two years building a community of schools which uses and develops
    its own open source alternatives to Microsoft software.

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-microsoft-uk

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  5. Re: [News] Sub-100 GBP GNU/Linux Laptops for British Schools

    ____/ William Poaster on Thursday 29 May 2008 14:18 : \____

    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:30:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> Low-cost Linux laptop targets British education market
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | Elonex is taking orders for a sub-$200 Linux-based laptop aimed at the
    >> | British educational market. Based on a 300MHz processor, the Elonex One
    >> | includes WiFi, Ethernet, Flash storage, USB, and a 7-inch, 800 x 480
    >> | detachable touch display.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4650708621.html
    >>

    > Related article:-
    >
    > Open source trumps Microsoft in UK schools:-
    >
    > MICROSOFT has suffered further set-backs in the UK education sector this
    > week after Becta, the government procurement quango, reformed its
    > purchasing regime to break the software giant's hold on education, and
    > launched a programme to get schools to adopt open source software.
    >
    > At least three open source software suppliers submitted tenders to Becta
    > yesterday for the £270,000 Schools Open Source Project. The winner will
    > spend two years building a community of schools which uses and develops
    > its own open source alternatives to Microsoft software.

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-microsoft-uk

    Some would say that BECTA is just trying to pull a bargain deal from Gangster
    Buddies by introducing competition.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
    Cpu(s): 24.4%us, 3.6%sy, 1.0%ni, 66.6%id, 4.1%wa, 0.3%hi, 0.1%si, 0.0%st

  6. Re: [News] Sub-100 GBP GNU/Linux Laptops for British Schools

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ William Poaster on Thursday 29 May 2008 14:18 : \____
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:30:38 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >>> Low-cost Linux laptop targets British education market
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS4650708621.html
    >>>

    >> Related article:-
    >>
    >> Open source trumps Microsoft in UK schools:-
    >>
    >> MICROSOFT has suffered further set-backs in the UK education sector this
    >> week after Becta, the government procurement quango, reformed its
    >> purchasing regime to break the software giant's hold on education, and
    >> launched a programme to get schools to adopt open source software.
    >>
    >> At least three open source software suppliers submitted tenders to Becta
    >> yesterday for the 270,000 Schools Open Source Project. The winner will
    >> spend two years building a community of schools which uses and develops
    >> its own open source alternatives to Microsoft software.
    >>

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...s-microsoft-uk
    >>

    > Some would say that BECTA is just trying to pull a bargain deal from Gangster
    > Buddies by introducing competition.

    Some truth in this, of course. What's really required is a plan to
    crack the lock-in at the various layers and nodes in the current
    education offering, although it has to be said, it's not just Microsoft
    perpetuating the vendor-lock.