[News] Linux Music-playing Device Gets Wi-Fi; Linux-based Simulation Improved - Linux

  1. [News] Linux Music-playing Device Gets Wi-Fi; Linux-based Simulation Improved

    Linux-based PMP gains WiFi access system

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Slacker Inc. says its Linux-based personal music player (PMP) can now connect
    | itself automatically to "hundreds of thousands" of WiFi hotspots. The Slacker
    | Portable's new capabilities come thanks to the addition of DeviceScape
    | Connect, a login client and service designed to connect browser-less devices
    | to wireless networks that require authentication.
    `----

    WiFi. Just like Zune, only without the nasty DRM and the feature Microsoft
    calls "squirting". Microsoft crippled its WinCE device and made no use of
    Wi-Fi. And now Zune is said to be dying [1,2,3].

    Also improved today:

    Linux software supplier Concurrent introduces FlexRay support in SIMulation
    Workbench product

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Concurrent, a US provider of Linux solutions, has added support for the
    | FlexRay communications standard to its SIMulation Workbench product.
    | Concurrent’s SIMulation Workbench is a complete software environment for
    | developing and executing real-time hardware-in-the-loop (HIL) and
    | man-in-the-loop (MIL) simulations. This new support provides automotive
    | engineers an environment to reduce test and integration time for new
    | automotive designs.
    `----

    http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/27-05-08

    ___
    [1] Zuneral this Saturday!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We regret to report the sudden, unexpected death of Digital Rights
    | Management. Details of the tragedy at present remain unclear, but he was
    | rushed to the hospital following a direct collision with an oncoming future
    | last week at 10 PM. He was seven years old.
    `----

    http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/%7Efreecu...this-saturday/

    [2] GameStop to Stop Zune Sales

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Video-game retailer GameStopGME has decided to stop selling Microsoft's Zune
    | players at its stores due to what it sees as insufficient demand from
    | customers.
    `----

    http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/news.../10418052.html

    [3] The beginning of the end for the Microsoft Zune

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Some may even say this goes to the root of Microsoft’s heritage. How they
    | came to achieve the operating system dominance and success by bullying
    | smaller businesses or buying them out and marketing their product as their
    | own.
    |
    | The way things are going, one can not help wonder if Microsoft have just run
    | out of ideas on expanding their business and decided to jump on the “me-too”
    | bandwagon.
    `----

    http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
    %20/2008/05/25/the-beginning-to-the-end-for-the-microsoft-zune/

  2. Re: [News] Linux Music-playing Device Gets Wi-Fi; Linux-based Simulation Improved

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:24:49 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Linux-based PMP gains WiFi access system

    Never heard of it.
    PMP sounds too close to PIMP.....
    It figures, Pimping and Linux are a perfect match.

    Just another Linux device that will die a quick death.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Linux Music-playing Device Gets Wi-Fi; Linux-based Simulation Improved

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic