[News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

  1. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Switching to Linux which distro to use, Ubuntu?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Overall Mandriva is my favorite distro from these tests. I do have Ubuntu
    > | installed on my main computer but if I were to do a fresh install I would
    > | surely change. At least that is my personal opinion with the current releases
    > | tested so far.
    > `----

    (snip)

    IMO, Ubuntu (all of them) are overhyped, but to each his own.

    I find PCLiuxOS to be stable,, with a wide range of applications in the
    repository. Their control Center is very good. With dkms, drivers, like
    nVidia's, just install. It is a very good distro, and IMO the best to
    the bunch.

    --
    Rick

  2. [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux

    Switching to Linux which distro to use, Ubuntu?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Overall Mandriva is my favorite distro from these tests. I do have Ubuntu
    | installed on my main computer but if I were to do a fresh install I would
    | surely change. At least that is my personal opinion with the current releases
    | tested so far.
    `----

    http://opencomputer.net/2008/05/27/s...to-use-ubuntu/

    Here is another typical article where it's blindly assumed that everything but
    Ubuntu isn't GNU/Linux:

    Workshop: Learn to use the easiest Linux version

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is popular with technical people because it is easy to tailor to your
    | needs. There are lots of versions of Linux, some easier to use than others.
    | Ubuntu is generally considered to be one of the easiest to learn, so it’s a
    | good starting place. Here we demonstrate how to safely install Ubuntu into
    | Virtualbox, a program that creates a virtual PC within Windows.
    `----

    http://www.computeractive.co.uk/comp...ersion-3864342
    http://tinyurl.com/5egunw

    Why is it assumed that others are not "of the easiest to learn"? They all share
    similar components.

    Related:

    Ubuntu's Hype is Misleading (Real Test)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So the overall review of Ubuntu was the worst from new user point of view and
    | PCLOS wins here. My users say that in their opinion, Ubuntu is overhyped and
    | that it's not for the normal user. It is for those users who know Linux very
    | well and have high end systems with at least 1 gig ram. *
    `----

    http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/200709/page02.html

    Divining from the Entrails of Ubuntu's Gutsy Gibbon

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to the 2007 DesktopLinux.com survey, Ubuntu is the distribution of
    | choice for 30% of GNU/Linux users. The exact figure is questionable, but
    | Ubuntu's dominance is not. For an increasing number of people, Ubuntu is
    | GNU/Linux. Yet, looking at the pre-releases of Gutsy Gibbon, Ubuntu 7.10, I
    | found myself becoming disturbed by the degree to which this popularity has
    | translated into uncritical acceptance.
    `----

    http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/ent...le.php/3700666

    Educating GNU/Linux users

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | More – if you know more than somebody, as Ubuntu’s developers obviously do,
    | you have an obligation to give them the opportunity. To do otherwise is to
    | dismiss the average person as willfully ignorant. Possibly, I’m naive, but
    | I’m not quite ready to regard others that way.
    |
    | Anyway, which came first: operating systems like Windows that prevent people
    | from learning about their computers, or users who were fixated on
    | accomplishing specific tasks. If computer users are task-oriented, at least
    | some of the time, the reason could be that they’re conditioned to be so.
    | Perhaps they’ve learned from Windows that prying into the inner workings of
    | their computer is awkward and difficult. We don’t really know how many users
    | will want to learn more, given the opportunity.
    `----

    http://brucebyfield.wordpress.com/20...nulinux-users/

  3. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu isriddled with bugs

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:16:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Switching to Linux which distro to use, Ubuntu?

    > Ubuntu is riddled with bugs.

    Your brain is riddled with bugs.

    > See DFS's great work here in COLA for details.

    So, you have your head up his butt, now ....

    > The other 1000+ versions of Linux suck as well.
    > They just suck in different ways.....

    So, why do you and your family use software that sucks.

    > Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop market.
    >
    > Can 99.4 percent of the population be wrong?

    Of course they can be wrong.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu isriddled with bugs

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 03:33:33 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:16:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Switching to Linux which distro to use, Ubuntu?

    >> Ubuntu is riddled with bugs.
    >> See DFS's great work here in COLA for details.

    > I don't know many folks who claim any particular distro is 'best'. Of

    Well, I think PCLinuxOS is the best of the bunch, at least for "the
    desktop". I use it my web and ftp servers, too. They are very low
    traffic, but it is the same software the big servers run.

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs (was: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux)

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:16:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Switching to Linux which distro to use, Ubuntu?

    Ubuntu is riddled with bugs.
    See DFS's great work here in COLA for details.

    The other 1000+ versions of Linux suck as well.
    They just suck in different ways.....

    Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop market.

    Can 99.4 percent of the population be wrong?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  6. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu isriddled with bugs

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 03:19:09 -0400, Rick wrote:
    >
    >> ray wrote:

    >>> I don't know many folks who claim any particular distro is 'best'. Of

    >> Well, I think PCLinuxOS is the best of the bunch, at least for "the
    >> desktop". I use it my web and ftp servers, too. They are very low
    >> traffic, but it is the same software the big servers run.

    > Well, cool. I use Ubuntu on three home computers plus five I admin at the
    > local library. I use Gentoo on my mini-itx; elive on older machines and
    > Debian on my main testbed computer.

    .... well, that's a bunch :-)

    (snip)

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 03:33:33 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:16:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> Switching to Linux which distro to use, Ubuntu?

    > Ubuntu is riddled with bugs.
    > See DFS's great work here in COLA for details.

    I don't know many folks who claim any particular distro is 'best'. Of
    course, the immediate question is "best for what"? There is no one best
    disto. There is not even a best distro for one person - I use three
    regularly - for different needs. As for DooFuS's attacks - they are simply
    ludicrous and need no further comment.

    > The other 1000+ versions of Linux suck as well. They just suck in
    > different ways.....

    According to distrowatch.com there are about 360 active Linux distros -
    not "1000+". Of course they all suck. All current computer operating
    systems suck. Fortunately, Linux sucks much less than the main
    alternative. None of them do the hardware justice.

    > Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop market.

    By your count. Mine shows it much larger.

    > Can 99.4 percent of the population be wrong?

    Absolutely. Case in point: Ford Explorer with Firestone tires - rolls over
    when there is a flat. Considering that MS comes preinstalled on virtually
    every new computer, the fact that Linux exists is a tribute.

  8. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs (was: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux)

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:05:18 +0000, ray wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 03:33:33 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:16:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Switching to Linux which distro to use, Ubuntu?

    >> Ubuntu is riddled with bugs.
    >> See DFS's great work here in COLA for details.

    "If it weren't for Windows, you wouldn't be posting anything right now."
    DFS - comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

    "Great work" HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!

    > I don't know many folks who claim any particular distro is 'best'. Of
    > course, the immediate question is "best for what"? There is no one best
    > disto. There is not even a best distro for one person - I use three
    > regularly - for different needs. As for DooFuS's attacks - they are simply
    > ludicrous and need no further comment.
    >

    >> The other 1000+ versions of Linux suck as well. They just suck in
    >> different ways.....

    > According to distrowatch.com there are about 360 active Linux distros -
    > not "1000+". Of course they all suck. All current computer operating
    > systems suck. Fortunately, Linux sucks much less than the main
    > alternative. None of them do the hardware justice.
    >

    >> Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop market.

    > By your count. Mine shows it much larger.

    Ah, the troll is still desperately clinging to its 0.6%, just like its
    twin, Quack. Pathetic.

    >> Can 99.4 percent of the population be wrong?

    > Absolutely. Case in point: Ford Explorer with Firestone tires - rolls over
    > when there is a flat. Considering that MS comes preinstalled on virtually
    > every new computer, the fact that Linux exists is a tribute.

    This has been told many times to the winzealots, but the seem to have
    short memories. No wonder they can't get things right.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  9. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs (was: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux)

    ray wrote:

    >> Can 99.4 percent of the population be wrong?

    >Absolutely.

    Why do you bother reading that broken-record twat?

  10. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu isriddled with bugs

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 03:19:09 -0400, Rick wrote:

    > ray wrote:

    >>> Ubuntu is riddled with bugs.
    >>> See DFS's great work here in COLA for details.

    >> I don't know many folks who claim any particular distro is 'best'. Of

    > Well, I think PCLinuxOS is the best of the bunch, at least for "the
    > desktop". I use it my web and ftp servers, too. They are very low
    > traffic, but it is the same software the big servers run.

    Well, cool. I use Ubuntu on three home computers plus five I admin at the
    local library. I use Gentoo on my mini-itx; elive on older machines and
    Debian on my main testbed computer.

    >> course, the immediate question is "best for what"? There is no one best
    >> disto. There is not even a best distro for one person - I use three
    >> regularly - for different needs. As for DooFuS's attacks - they are
    >> simply ludicrous and need no further comment.
    >>
    >>> The other 1000+ versions of Linux suck as well. They just suck in
    >>> different ways.....

    >> According to distrowatch.com there are about 360 active Linux distros -
    >> not "1000+". Of course they all suck. All current computer operating
    >> systems suck. Fortunately, Linux sucks much less than the main
    >> alternative. None of them do the hardware justice.
    >>
    >>> Linux has 0.6 percent of the desktop market.

    >> By your count. Mine shows it much larger.
    >>
    >>> Can 99.4 percent of the population be wrong?

    >> Absolutely. Case in point: Ford Explorer with Firestone tires - rolls
    >> over when there is a flat. Considering that MS comes preinstalled on
    >> virtually every new computer, the fact that Linux exists is a tribute.

  11. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 12:27:02 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > ray wrote:
    >
    >>> Can 99.4 percent of the population be wrong?

    >>Absolutely.

    > Why do you bother reading that broken-record twat?

    Might ask you the same question.

  12. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs

    On 2008-05-28, Rick wrote:
    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 May 2008 08:16:39 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Switching to Linux which distro to use, Ubuntu?

    >> Ubuntu is riddled with bugs.

    > Your brain is riddled with bugs.

    Ubuntu tries to push the envelope. Sometimes they should
    slow down a little. OTOH, it's probably progress that
    needs to happen. You can think of it as growing pains.

    The nice thing about Linux is that you don't have anything
    forcing you to upgrade to the next version. I could use
    my current Ubuntu installs indefinitely.

    I could go back and use the 6.06 release again if I really
    wanted to. Forced/Planned obsolesnce is not a part of the bargain.

    --

    The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \

  13. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs (was: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux)

    ray wrote:

    >>>Absolutely.

    >> Why do you bother reading that broken-record twat?

    >Might ask you the same question.

    Why? I have him plonked. Reading and responding-to his repetitious
    nonsense is not my cup of tea.

    The *same* nonsense, over and over and over and over and over and ....

  14. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs (was: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux)

    ____/ chrisv on Wednesday 28 May 2008 22:10 : \____

    > ray wrote:

    >>> Why do you bother reading that broken-record twat?

    >>Might ask you the same question.

    > Why? I have him plonked. Reading and responding-to his repetitious
    > nonsense is not my cup of tea.
    >
    > The *same* nonsense, over and over and over and over and over and ....

    It's the Big Lie.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with mental
    | deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2."
    | Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever. Make
    | the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the mythology of
    | the computer industry. We want to place selection pressure on those companies
    | and individuals that show a genetic weakness for competitors' technologies,
    | to make the industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over
    | time."
    `----

    --- Microsoft, internal document
    http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | #ff0000 Hot Chilli Peppers

  15. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs (was: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  16. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 01:53:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > It's the Big Lie.

    Right....

    As in LIEnix....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Ubuntu needs LSB 3.x compatibility

    On May 28, 3:16 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > Switching to Linux which distro to use, Ubuntu?

    The big problem with all of the Debian based distributions is the lack
    of LSB 3.0 compatibility. Many software vendors have adopted the
    LSB-3.0 standard as a reliable way to distribute software packages.
    Some of the REQUIRED elements include Red Hat Package Manager (RPM),
    standard support for gnome AND qt, and support for Motif API
    compatible libraries.

    When you are looking at high-end 3rd party commercial software, such
    as Lotus Notes 8, DB2, Oracle, Rational tools, and other desktop and
    server applications, you need a stable environment and a predictable
    target framework configuration.

    This doesn't mean that you have to exclude Debian features, or that
    you have to give up the GNOME desktop, but you need to have the
    standard framework required by these high end applications, which
    often means accepting "non-GNU" components as part of the
    configuration.

    I really love the look and feel of KDE, but if I want to install
    commercial applications, it's a real challenge to do that on the
    Ubuntu desktop.

    It is possible to bring Ubuntu up to LSB 3.0 compatibility, but the
    end-users shouldn't have to do that by themselves.

    For this reason, I prefer a commercially supported standards based
    Linux such as SUSE SLED or Red Hat's RHED for the desktop, and SLES or
    RHES for servers.

  18. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe, Goldfarb.

    wrote
    on Wed, 28 May 2008 22:23:40 -0400
    :
    > On Thu, 29 May 2008 01:53:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> It's the Big Lie.

    > Right....
    >
    > As in LIEnix....

    There is the possibility we're doing just that, in
    believing that Linux and/or Linux-based solutions will
    ever be superior to[*] the Microsoft-pushed variants.

    However, I suspect Linux will go down fighting.
    [*] in terms of a generic concept; of course Linux the
    kernel is superior to the Windows Win32 crap. However,
    that doesn't mean success any more than a powerful turbine
    engine will ever be placed in a car that can be sold to
    the casual motorist.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: No such file or directory

  19. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs (was: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux)

    William Poaster wrote:

    > DFS? Oh, yeah. That's the same idiot that said:
    >
    > "If it weren't for Windows, you wouldn't be posting anything right
    > now." DFS - comp.os.linux.advocacy
    > Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004

    * and there wouldn't be a Google, or an AMD, or an nVidia, or a Dell

    * and Linux/OSS would be much worse than it is (if that's possible)... no
    Windows and MS Office to steal from.

    * and the PC software and hardware markets would be fragmented and products
    more costly

    * and many cola "advocates" would never have had the lucrative Windows
    careers they've enjoyed

    * and several billionaires and many, many millionaires wouldn't have been
    created

    * and many $billions would not have been donated to developing nations

    * etc etc...

    MS has been a HUGE net gain for the world, and you anti-success cola lusers
    are living in fantasy-land if you think Linux will suddenly (or mid-term, or
    long-term) displace it.

  20. Re: Ubuntu needs LSB 3.x compatibility

    Rex Ballard wrote:

    > For this reason, I prefer a commercially supported standards based
    > Linux such as SUSE SLED or Red Hat's RHED for the desktop, and SLES or
    > RHES for servers.

    Cool. You should make the switch from Windows at work and Linux at
    hobby-time, to Linux at work and Windows at hobby-time.

    Linux is ready for the workplace, isn't it? It's only 2008 - 17 years is
    enough I would think.

    Let us know when it happens, Rex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast