[News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux - Linux ; On 2008-05-29, The Ghost In The Machine wrote: > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe, Goldfarb. > > wrote > on Wed, 28 May 2008 22:23:40 -0400 > : >> On Thu, 29 May 2008 01:53:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote: >> >> >>> ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 46 of 46

  1. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs

    On 2008-05-29, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe, Goldfarb.
    >
    > wrote
    > on Wed, 28 May 2008 22:23:40 -0400
    >:
    >> On Thu, 29 May 2008 01:53:59 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> It's the Big Lie.

    >> Right....
    >>
    >> As in LIEnix....
    >>

    > There is the possibility we're doing just that, in
    > believing that Linux and/or Linux-based solutions will
    > ever be superior to[*] the Microsoft-pushed variants.
    >
    > However, I suspect Linux will go down fighting.
    >
    >[*] in terms of a generic concept; of course Linux the
    > kernel is superior to the Windows Win32 crap. However,
    > that doesn't mean success any more than a powerful turbine
    > engine will ever be placed in a car that can be sold to
    > the casual motorist.

    You seem to be making a rather elitist argument.

    Surely the "casual motorist" can expect advances in Formula 1 racing
    machines to "trickle down" into the "regular automobile". Otherwise what
    is the purpose of having those stupid cars and their stupid drivers
    travelling the world, having sex with models and crashing their
    multi-million dollar playthings?

    God I hate car analogies!!!

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  2. Re: Ubuntu needs LSB 3.x compatibility

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman

    wrote
    on 31 May 2008 02:28:53 GMT
    :
    > On 2008-05-30, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Thu, 29 May 2008 18:30:57 -0500
    >><-umdnf8vTrAsoaLVnZ2dnUVZ_qninZ2d@supernews.com>:

    >>> Why? Just because that's the way it is done in other systems? Big deal.

    >> It is if that's what one is used to. Still, you have a point.
    >> Personally, I'm a touch typist, so I don't know if I really care. ;-)

    > A few years ago, gentoo offered a GUI package management system... what
    > was its name now..... oh dear! I'm getting old.... I used it and it
    > seemed OK, but the gentoo toolkit is far too versatile and easy to use,
    > so everyone ignored it.

    "Porthole". I wasn't all that impressed either.

    >>> No one is born knowing how to use a computer or an operating system.
    >>>

    >> No, but the way things are going many of us are exposed to Windows (or
    >> programs running thereon, such as Jumpstart) at a very early age.

    > Hmmm... how early is "early"? I'd never even _seen_ a computer until I
    > was fifteen back in 1975. We got to share a Wang computer with 3 other
    > schools. Before that we learned to program in FORTRAN on a punch card
    > machine.

    You're dating yourself. ;-) But that's about my timeline
    as well; I was referring to the newer generation, who
    basically get learning tools such as Jumpstart. (AFAIK
    that only runs on Windows, though they might be changing that.)

    > I taught myself to use MSDOS and Apple Mac. When windows came out I
    > installed it myself and would _still_ be a loyal Windows user if it
    > weren't for the appalling mess of Windows95.
    >
    >> OLPC *might* sidestep that, if we're lucky.

    > Kids today... they have it too easy... 8-) They get their own computer
    > whereas we had one to share between 3 schools, only for those doing
    > computers as a subject.

    At one point I was submitting card decks. Later on, we
    had a computer with all of maybe 8Kw RAM driving a bunch
    of teletypes. (We also had an Apple ][ and a few other things.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.

  3. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman

    wrote
    on 31 May 2008 02:33:56 GMT
    :
    > On 2008-05-29, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe, Goldfarb.
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Wed, 28 May 2008 22:23:40 -0400
    >>:

    >>> Right....
    >>>
    >>> As in LIEnix....
    >>>

    >> There is the possibility we're doing just that, in
    >> believing that Linux and/or Linux-based solutions will
    >> ever be superior to[*] the Microsoft-pushed variants.
    >>
    >> However, I suspect Linux will go down fighting.
    >>
    >>[*] in terms of a generic concept; of course Linux the
    >> kernel is superior to the Windows Win32 crap. However,
    >> that doesn't mean success any more than a powerful turbine
    >> engine will ever be placed in a car that can be sold to
    >> the casual motorist.

    > You seem to be making a rather elitist argument.
    >
    > Surely the "casual motorist" can expect advances
    > in Formula 1 racing machines to "trickle down"
    > into the "regular automobile". Otherwise what
    > is the purpose of having those stupid cars and
    > their stupid drivers travelling the world, having
    > sex with models and crashing their multi-million
    > dollar playthings?

    Cigarette advertising? ;-)

    > God I hate car analogies!!!

    True, it's not the best of analogies. But the public
    expects Windows, the public doesn't understand Linux
    (it barely understands Windows), the public thinks
    Windows is the computer, and that Ctrl-Alt-Del fixes
    things.

    Wonderful sales job, thank you Microsoft.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.

  4. Re: Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux

    On May 28, 3:16 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > Switching to Linux which distro to use, Ubuntu?

    As Roy points out elsewhere in this article, iimportant to point out
    that about 99% of Linux is the same regardless of which distribution
    you use. The key considerations of a distribution are (in this order)

    1. Support - does the vendor provide timely updates and bug fixes.
    2. Compatibility - does the vendor support commercial 3rd party
    applications
    as well as GNU applications?
    3. Application support - what beyond GNU applications is supported?
    4. Ease of Use - All Linux distributions are easy to use, but a
    "friendly" distribution that doesn't meet the first two criteria is
    probably worse that a slightly "hostile" distribution that has full
    support, compatibility, and application support.
    5. Ease of installation - system should be able to install itself on
    any "Linux Ready" computer.
    6. Hardware support - A distribution that includes binary drivers for
    proprietary hardware is probably going to be more useful on laptops
    and desktops with that hardware than a great distribution that can't
    handle the WiFi card or doesn't support 3D accelleration on the
    display card.

    Other things worth considering:

    Support for virtualization - as host and as client. A good
    distribution should support VMWare and Xen, and really good
    distribution supports virtual machines on almost any type of storage.

    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Overall Mandriva is my favorite distro from these tests. I do have Ubuntu
    > | installed on my main computer but if I were to do a fresh install I would
    > | surely change. At least that is my personal opinion with the current releases
    > | tested so far.
    > `----
    >
    > http://opencomputer.net/2008/05/27/s...hich-distro-to...
    >
    > Here is another typical article where it's blindly assumed that everything but
    > Ubuntu isn't GNU/Linux:

    Typical FUD. Often its' a missguided or poorly informed reporter,
    other times its a more malicious attempt to subvert Linux by pointing
    out flaws in Ubuntu - that don't exist in more commercially oriented
    implementations.

  5. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs

    On 2008-06-02, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Gregory Shearman
    >
    > wrote
    > on 31 May 2008 02:33:56 GMT
    >:
    >> On 2008-05-29, The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe, Goldfarb.
    >>>
    >>> wrote
    >>> on Wed, 28 May 2008 22:23:40 -0400
    >>>:

    >>> There is the possibility we're doing just that, in
    >>> believing that Linux and/or Linux-based solutions will
    >>> ever be superior to[*] the Microsoft-pushed variants.
    >>>
    >>> However, I suspect Linux will go down fighting.
    >>>
    >>>[*] in terms of a generic concept; of course Linux the
    >>> kernel is superior to the Windows Win32 crap. However,
    >>> that doesn't mean success any more than a powerful turbine
    >>> engine will ever be placed in a car that can be sold to
    >>> the casual motorist.

    >> You seem to be making a rather elitist argument.
    >>
    >> Surely the "casual motorist" can expect advances
    >> in Formula 1 racing machines to "trickle down"
    >> into the "regular automobile". Otherwise what
    >> is the purpose of having those stupid cars and
    >> their stupid drivers travelling the world, having
    >> sex with models and crashing their multi-million
    >> dollar playthings?

    > Cigarette advertising? ;-)

    8-)

    See? that's where stupid car analogies end up.... stretched to breaking
    point.

    >> God I hate car analogies!!!
    >>

    > True, it's not the best of analogies. But the public
    > expects Windows, the public doesn't understand Linux
    > (it barely understands Windows), the public thinks
    > Windows is the computer, and that Ctrl-Alt-Del fixes
    > things.

    The public thinks that "windows" is the name of the computer. They
    wouldn't know that they could dump their operating system and replace it
    with a stable,secure,free and versatile alternative.

    > Wonderful sales job, thank you Microsoft.

    Yeah, they've really done a job on the public, thanks to a lot of help
    from the governments of the world. My own government (Australia) did
    deals with microsoft executives behind closed doors. I still don't know
    the outcome of these secret meetings but it can't be good for free
    software in this country.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  6. Re: [News] Ubuntu Not Necessarily the Best of GNU/Linux Ubuntu is riddled with bugs

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic