[News] KDE 4.1 Reaches Beta and Looks Great - Linux

  2. Re: KDE 4.1 Reaches Beta and Looks Great

    Interesting.

    But still, it's not compelling enough to migrate back.

    They spent so much time on improving the infrastructure, but many
    basic applications are still lacking. It'd be much better if they put
    more resource on wine and make the emulation layer 100% compatible
    with xp.

    On May 28, 9:26 am, Roy Schestowitz

  3. Re: KDE 4.1 Reaches Beta and Looks Great

    On 2008-05-28, AqD wrote:
    > Interesting.
    >
    > But still, it's not compelling enough to migrate back.
    >
    > They spent so much time on improving the infrastructure, but many
    > basic applications are still lacking. It'd be much better if they put
    > more resource on wine and make the emulation layer 100% compatible
    > with xp.

    So what great XP program(s) am I missing?

    [deletia]

    --

    The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \

  4. Re: KDE 4.1 Reaches Beta and Looks Great

  5. Re: KDE 4.1 Reaches Beta and Looks Great

    On May 29, 4:57 am, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-05-28, AqD wrote:
    >
    > > Interesting.

    > > But still, it's not compelling enough to migrate back.

    > > They spent so much time on improving the infrastructure, but many
    > > basic applications are still lacking. It'd be much better if they put
    > > more resource on wine and make the emulation layer 100% compatible
    > > with xp.

    > So what great XP program(s) am I missing?

    - GUI database management tools. Ex: navicat There are linux ones but
    they all suck (get mysql-gui-tools and u'd see)
    - Analysis softwares for financial markets. Ex: tradestation,
    ninjatrader, etc.
    - Special file converters. Ex: PDF2XL It grabs tables from PDF and
    exports to excel.
    - Human language translation softwares. Ex: @Promt (NOT simple
    dictionaries)

  6. Re: KDE 4.1 Reaches Beta and Looks Great

    On May 29, 8:58 am, Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    > ____/ JEDIDIAH on Wednesday 28 May 2008 21:57 : \____
    >
    > > On 2008-05-28, AqD wrote:
    > >> Interesting.

    > >> But still, it's not compelling enough to migrate back.

    > >> They spent so much time on improving the infrastructure, but many
    > >> basic applications are still lacking. It'd be much better if they put
    > >> more resource on wine and make the emulation layer 100% compatible
    > >> with xp.

    > > So what great XP program(s) am I missing?

    > > [deletia]

    > People have the tendency to get addicted to 'their' apps while failing to
    > appreciate counterparts they simply don't know of. It's natural.

    Yes, counterparts. Can you name any open-source full-text russian-
    english translator?

    Linux advocates always blindly believe they have everything windows
    users have. If all linux users are like that, linux today would still
    be shell + vim and nothing else.

  7. Re: KDE 4.1 Reaches Beta and Looks Great

    On May 29, 5:21 pm, Hadron wrote:
    > AqD writes:
    > > On May 29, 8:58 am, Roy Schestowitz
    > > wrote:

    > >> ____/ JEDIDIAH on Wednesday 28 May 2008 21:57 : \____

    > >> People have the tendency to get addicted to 'their' apps while failing to
    > >> appreciate counterparts they simply don't know of. It's natural.

    > > Yes, counterparts. Can you name any open-source full-text russian-
    > > english translator?

    > > Linux advocates always blindly believe they have everything windows
    > > users have. If all linux users are like that, linux today would still
    > > be shell + vim and nothing else.

    > You must remember that the "advocates" in COLA have very limited
    > needs. Most have never worked with PCs in any serious business
    > either. Roy for example, has never had a proper job in IT yet feels
    > qualified to waffle on about industry needs.

    I guess they only need a newsreader and a web browser.......

  8. Re: KDE 4.1 Reaches Beta and Looks Great

    AqD writes:

    > On May 29, 5:21 pm, Hadron wrote:
    >> AqD writes:

    >> > Yes, counterparts. Can you name any open-source full-text russian-
    >> > english translator?

    >> > Linux advocates always blindly believe they have everything windows
    >> > users have. If all linux users are like that, linux today would still
    >> > be shell + vim and nothing else.

    >> You must remember that the "advocates" in COLA have very limited
    >> needs. Most have never worked with PCs in any serious business
    >> either. Roy for example, has never had a proper job in IT yet feels
    >> qualified to waffle on about industry needs.

    > I guess they only need a newsreader and a web browser.......

    Pretty much.

    Rick freely admits thats about it. When I gave examples of why Amarok
    was almost useless for most "normal/average" users because of its
    perverse handling of playlist creation and maintenance he denied it and
    said it "works for him". We then discovered he only had about 10 tracks
    in it.

    Go figure.

    --
    If you take both of those factors together then WinXP is a flop, selling
    *less* than Win 98 by a factor of two.

  9. Re: KDE 4.1 Reaches Beta and Looks Great

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 14:35:31 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > AqD writes:

    >>> You must remember that the "advocates" in COLA have very limited
    >>> needs. Most have never worked with PCs in any serious business
    >>> either. Roy for example, has never had a proper job in IT yet feels
    >>> qualified to waffle on about industry needs.

    >> I guess they only need a newsreader and a web browser.......

    > Pretty much.
    >
    > Rick freely admits thats about it. When I gave examples of why Amarok
    > was almost useless for most "normal/average" users because of its
    > perverse handling of playlist creation and maintenance he denied it and
    > said it "works for him". We then discovered he only had about 10 tracks
    > in it.
    >
    > Go figure.

    It's classic.
    I gave up years ago trying to accommodate these Linux lusers because the
    vast majority of them are hypocritical liars.

    There have been instances where they denied having problems with a
    particular application and thus blamed the user.
    It was very interesting when the developer appeared and acknowledged the
    bug as well as provided a fix.

    The silence from the Linux loons was deafening.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  10. Re: KDE 4.1 Reaches Beta and Looks Great

    AqD wrote:
    > On May 29, 4:57 am, JEDIDIAH wrote:
    >> On 2008-05-28, AqD wrote:
    >>
    >>> Interesting.

    >>> But still, it's not compelling enough to migrate back.

    >>> They spent so much time on improving the infrastructure, but many
    >>> basic applications are still lacking. It'd be much better if they
    >>> put more resource on wine and make the emulation layer 100%
    >>> compatible with xp.

    >> So what great XP program(s) am I missing?

    > - GUI database management tools. Ex: navicat There are linux ones but
    > they all suck (get mysql-gui-tools and u'd see)
    > - Analysis softwares for financial markets. Ex: tradestation,
    > ninjatrader, etc.
    > - Special file converters. Ex: PDF2XL It grabs tables from PDF and
    > exports to excel.
    > - Human language translation softwares. Ex: @Promt (NOT simple
    > dictionaries)

    That's not fair!

    linux is not a production environment. linux only allows you to brag that it
    does everything whether it does or not.

  11. Re: KDE 4.1 Reaches Beta and Looks Great

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, relic

    wrote
    on Thu, 29 May 2008 09:50:57 -0700
    <483eded7$0$7711$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>:
    > AqD wrote:

    >>> So what great XP program(s) am I missing?

    >> - GUI database management tools. Ex: navicat There are linux ones but
    >> they all suck (get mysql-gui-tools and u'd see)
    >> - Analysis softwares for financial markets. Ex: tradestation,
    >> ninjatrader, etc.
    >> - Special file converters. Ex: PDF2XL It grabs tables from PDF and
    >> exports to excel.
    >> - Human language translation softwares. Ex: @Promt (NOT simple
    >> dictionaries)

    > That's not fair!
    >
    > linux is not a production environment. linux only allows you to brag that it
    > does everything whether it does or not.

    Bear in mind Linux does *none* of the above anyway,
    unless one is referring to such lowlevel issues as socket
    management, packet routing, program execution, and file I/O.

    I'm not even sure Linux does display (framebuffer module
    is part of Linux, but X is not -- call it half and half).

    Personally, I think DB nav tools need heavy customization
    before they're usable; certainly that's the case here
    at $EMPLOYER. The raw records have meaning but only in
    an isolated sense.

    I don't see anything that specifically needs Win32, but
    Win32 is probably the most convenient platform for most of
    them (mostly because Win32 is the most ubiquitous -- even
    Linux distros have Win32, courtesy of WinE). All of German,
    French, and English can be used to ask where the restroom is,
    but in the US, one's much more likely to hear "Where's the
    restroom?" as opposed to "Wo ist das WasserKlosette?" (or
    whatever it is, my Deutsch is very rusty). Win32 is the
    lingua fraca of programming nowadays -- though it's hard to
    say for how long in light of Windows' surrounding issues,
    plus up-and-comers such as Java (which isn't all that new
    anymore, but has carved out a nice large niche), Python,
    PHP, EJB, and SOAP. (The last two aren't quite complete,
    but do fit in.)

    And you're right, Linux is not a production environment,
    though there *are* many production environments that use
    Linux (plus Apache, plus Bourne shell, plus maybe Java,
    PHP, Python, database access drivers, load distributors,
    etc.) The only thing the user sees, though, is Apache,
    and only dimly through its packet responses to HTTP requests.

    In theory, IIS could do 99% of what Apache does, though IIS
    has some stability issues. (IIS6 can, however, run PHP.)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. An OS which actually, unlike certain other offerings, works.

  12. Re: KDE 4.1 Reaches Beta and Looks Great

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic