[News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF - Linux

  1. [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

    German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) Deploys StarOffice

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to this German article, the German Federal Office for Information
    | Security (BSI) is switching to StarOffice for all 500 desktop PCs. 90% of the
    | BSI employees have already gone through the migration. Another great success
    | story for ODF!
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...or_information

    There are many more such migrations around the world, but this one too is
    described in German. The blog provides only the gist of it.

    No wonder sales of Microsoft Office have declined.

    Recent:

    DE: One fifth of Freiburg city council migrated to OpenOffice

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the German city of Freiburg, four hundred of the two thousand PCs used by
    | the city council are now running OpenOffice.
    |
    | The migration to the Open Source suite of office applications is a
    | intermediate goal, saving the city up to half a million euro in licence
    | costs. The city's final aim is to switch to an Open Source desktop.
    |
    | The council began its office application migration last July, when it decided
    | to use the ISO-approved Open Document Format (ODF) as a document standard.
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7538

    Ubuntu landed on Berlin metro system

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The guys from “Berliner Fenster”, a company responsible for the content of
    | the television system installed inside underground vehicles (more than 3.700
    | displays) were so kind (thank you!) providing us with a spot for our release
    | party this Saturday for free. So just on time with the release starting from
    | today there are small spots viewable by an audience of about 1.5 million
    | people per day according to their web site.
    `----

    http://www.screenage.de/blog/2008/04...-metro-system/

    EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
    | distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
    | the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
    | MEP Marco Cappato. *
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

    Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

    German ERP software vendor adds OpenOffice.org support

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...re_vendor_adds

    German portfolio analysis software supports OpenOffice.org

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...tware_supports

    DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
    | irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
    | countries. These claims *continued until after the final discussion, in
    | February and March this year.
    |
    | The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
    | The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
    | Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
    | declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
    | position has yet been adopted.
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561

    199 Euro laptop with OpenOffice.org pre-installed

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I just found about this offer in Germany. A vendor called "one" is selling a
    | low-cost laptop with Linux and OpenOffice.org pre-installed for 199 Euro.
    | This special offer lasts until May 12th according to the website. Cool to see
    | more and more hardware vendors bundle OpenOffice.org!
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/19...ith_openoffice

    City of Munich and German Federal Foreign Office start collaboration

    | According to this German article, the City of Munich and the German Federal
    | Foreign Office have started to collaborate on the implementation of their
    | open source and open standards strategies. I would not be surprised if other
    | organizations decided to join the "alliance" as well. Anyway, very cool to
    | see government organizations collaborate regarding the usage of open source
    | and open standards.
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ci...ich_and_german

    The German Plan for Open Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The SAGA 4.0 document itself (PDF, 2.4 MB) states on page 114 that the Open
    | Document Format (ODF) version 1.0 is a "Recommended" standard...
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | And it continues with stating PDF 1.4 as a mandatory standard (PDF 1.5 is a
    | recommended standard, PDF 1.6 is a standard under observation).
    |
    | What are "Recommended" standards, "Mandatory" standards and standards "Under
    | Observation"? Page 20 and page 21 explain the designations in full...
    `----

    http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008...rman-plan.html

    Germany upgrades ODF to "recommended"

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The new version 4.0 of the document "Standards and Architectures for
    | eGovernment Applications" (SAGA) by the German Ministry of the Interior now
    | recommends ODF for text documents.
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...to_recommended

    German county adopts OpenOffice.org

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to this German article, the German county "Friesland" is adoption
    | open source including OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice.org will be installed on the
    | majority of the client systems.
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...openoffice_org

    German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many of
    | us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that some German
    | penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their daily office
    | work. *
    `----

    http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/200...king-into.html

    [German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

    http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218

    Mayor of Munich opposes OOXML being made a Standard (German)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Munich's mayor Christian Ude says in a letter to the Federal Minister for
    | Economics and Technology, Michael Glos, he thinks there should be a
    | clear "no" to the standardization of OOXML. The German Institute for
    | Standardization (DIN) is currently evaluating how to vote in the ISO
    | standardisation procedure. All the city needs, Ude indicates, is OpenDocument
    | Format (ODF), already an ISO standard, and he believes competition is
    | weakened by a competiting standards.... * * *
    `----

    http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Muenc...meldung/105074
    http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

  2. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoftfor GNU/Linux, ODF

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) Deploys StarOffice
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | According to this German article, the German Federal Office for Information
    > | Security (BSI) is switching to StarOffice for all 500 desktop PCs. 90% of the
    > | BSI employees have already gone through the migration. Another great success
    > | story for ODF!
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...or_information

    It's just the German counterpart of CERT---what could they know? ...
    just 500 desktops out of a billion ... hardly significant ... probably
    not even two minutes worth of revenue for Office ... a drop in the
    bucket ... not worth the salesman's time ... and what does this have to
    do with Linux? ... They won't be able to get along without Windows ...

    NOT

  3. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

    Matt wrote:

    > It's just the German counterpart of CERT---what could they know? ...
    > just 500 desktops out of a billion ... hardly significant ... probably
    > not even two minutes worth of revenue for Office ... a drop in the
    > bucket ... not worth the salesman's time ... and what does this have
    > to do with Linux? ... They won't be able to get along without Windows
    > NOT

    NOT too perceptive, are ya Mutt? They're switching to StarOffice - on
    Windows.

    Seeing as how StarOffice has no email client, I'm sure they're using a
    masterful program like Evolution... NOT.

  4. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoftfor GNU/Linux, ODF

    DFS wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >
    >> It's just the German counterpart of CERT---what could they know? ...
    >> just 500 desktops out of a billion ... hardly significant ... probably
    >> not even two minutes worth of revenue for Office ... a drop in the
    >> bucket ... not worth the salesman's time ... and what does this have
    >> to do with Linux? ... They won't be able to get along without Windows
    >> NOT

    > NOT too perceptive, are ya Mutt? They're switching to StarOffice - on
    > Windows.

    Perceptive? I perceive that your reading comprehension is rather poor.

    I wrote:
    > probably not even two minutes worth of revenue for Office ...

    > ... and what does this have to do with Linux?

  5. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

    ____/ Matt on Wednesday 28 May 2008 14:11 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >> German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) Deploys StarOffice
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | According to this German article, the German Federal Office for
    >> | Information Security (BSI) is switching to StarOffice for all 500 desktop
    >> | PCs. 90% of the BSI employees have already gone through the migration.
    >> | Another great success story for ODF!
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...or_information

    > It's just the German counterpart of CERT---what could they know? ...
    > just 500 desktops out of a billion ... hardly significant ... probably
    > not even two minutes worth of revenue for Office ... a drop in the
    > bucket ... not worth the salesman's time ... and what does this have to
    > do with Linux? ... They won't be able to get along without Windows ...
    >
    > NOT

    They establish a system where everyone in government can collaborate using
    FLOSS. Munich got together with the foreign office not so long ago. It starts
    with governments and then descends to businesses which depend on those at the
    top. It's similar in France and Italy but not in the UK (it'll be the last
    domino brick to fall, along with the US).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: sheep outnumber people in NZ
    16:05:01 up 43 days, 14:17, 4 users, load average: 0.67, 0.88, 0.85

  6. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoftfor GNU/Linux, ODF

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) Deploys StarOffice
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | According to this German article, the German Federal Office for Information
    > | Security (BSI) is switching to StarOffice for all 500 desktop PCs. 90% of the
    > | BSI employees have already gone through the migration. Another great success
    > | story for ODF!
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...or_information
    >
    > There are many more such migrations around the world, but this one too is
    > described in German. The blog provides only the gist of it.

    The original story from the German edition of Computer Week:

    http://www.computerwoche.de/knowledg...tools/1864768/

    This migration looks somewhat unusual. Typically the plan is to move to
    ODF, FF, and other cross-platform apps before moving to Linux.

    In this case it seems they already had about the same number of desktops
    running Linux and the WINE-based "Crossover Office" as they had desktops
    running Windows, in both cases to support the use of MS Office.

    Now they have decided to stop using MS Office as much as they can.

    Of course this inversion and the idea that half of them were already on
    Linux isn't so surprising given that this operation includes some of the
    top computer-security people in Germany.

  7. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:08:20 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > They establish a system where everyone in government can collaborate using
    > FLOSS. Munich got together with the foreign office not so long ago.

    Munich?
    You mean the worlds most inept Linux migration?
    Why is it taking them 10 years to move from Windows to Linux?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoftfor GNU/Linux, ODF

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:08:20 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> They establish a system where everyone in government can collaborate using
    >> FLOSS. Munich got together with the foreign office not so long ago.

    > Munich?
    > You mean the worlds most inept Linux migration?
    > Why is it taking them 10 years to move from Windows to Linux?

    And why are so many organizations in Europe consulting with Munich and
    following their practice? Really they must all be crazy. Certainly
    they don't know what you know. For instance Munich says they are in the
    second year of their migration, and you say it's the tenth year.

  9. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:01:08 -0500, Matt wrote:

    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:08:20 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> They establish a system where everyone in government can collaborate using
    >>> FLOSS. Munich got together with the foreign office not so long ago.

    >> Munich?
    >> You mean the worlds most inept Linux migration?
    >> Why is it taking them 10 years to move from Windows to Linux?

    > And why are so many organizations in Europe consulting with Munich and
    > following their practice? Really they must all be crazy. Certainly
    > they don't know what you know. For instance Munich says they are in the
    > second year of their migration, and you say it's the tenth year.

    Try again Rick:

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...igration-delay
    http://news.cnet.com/Munichs-Linux-m...3-5850633.html

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

  11. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  12. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  13. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 02:00:35 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Matt on Wednesday 28 May 2008 22:01 : \____
    >
    >> Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> Munich?
    >>> You mean the worlds most inept Linux migration?
    >>> Why is it taking them 10 years to move from Windows to Linux?

    >> And why are so many organizations in Europe consulting with Munich and
    >> following their practice? Really they must all be crazy. Certainly
    >> they don't know what you know. For instance Munich says they are in the
    >> second year of their migration, and you say it's the tenth year.

    > Matt, it's a Big Lie spread by Microsoft Munchkins. Because a lot of the world
    > watches Munich, it's important for Microsoft to pull a Newham (rewriting
    > history or staging a defeat).

    Try googling Munich Linux Migration you bumbling idiot and you will see
    that it has turned into a CLUSTERFSCK that is YEARS behind schedule.

    > Reemember: this is Microsoft we're talking about. It's a company that cheats,
    > bribes, bullies and steals all the time. All the time.

    Cheats?

    You mean like you Roy Schestowitz?

    Using copyrighted graphics without permission and then refusing to take
    them down even after the author notified you?

    Some example you are Roy Schestowitz.

    Do you cheat in school as well?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  14. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Reemember: this is Microsoft we're talking about. It's a company that
    > cheats, bribes, bullies and steals all the time. All the time.

    Boo!

  15. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoftfor GNU/Linux, ODF

    Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:

    > Of course this inversion and the idea that half of them were already
    > on Linux isn't so surprising given that this operation includes some
    > of the top computer-security people in Germany.

    Which begs the question, what on Earth were they thinking using Windows
    in the first place?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    07:56:57 up 160 days, 4:32, 6 users, load average: 0.03, 0.10, 0.14

  16. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 07:57:12 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:
    >
    >> Of course this inversion and the idea that half of them were already
    >> on Linux isn't so surprising given that this operation includes some
    >> of the top computer-security people in Germany.

    > Which begs the question, what on Earth were they thinking using Windows
    > in the first place?

    The same thing you Linux hypocrites are when you have Windows splattered
    all over your resume's.

    They want to get the job done and generate income.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  17. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  18. Re: [News] German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoft for GNU/Linux, ODF

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  19. Re: German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoftfor GNU/Linux, ODF

    On 28 Mai, 17:09, Matt wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > > German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) Deploys StarOffice

    > > ,----[ Quote ]
    > > | According to this German article, the German Federal Office for Information
    > > | Security (BSI) is switching to StarOffice for all 500 desktop PCs. 90%of the
    > > | BSI employees have already gone through the migration. Another great success
    > > | story for ODF! *
    > > `----

    > >http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...or_information

    > > There are many more such migrations around the world, but this one too is
    > > described in German. The blog provides only the gist of it.

    > The original story from the German edition of Computer Week:
    >
    > http://www.computerwoche.de/knowledg...tools/1864768/
    >
    > This migration looks somewhat unusual. *Typically the plan is to move to
    > ODF, FF, and other cross-platform apps before moving to Linux.
    >
    > In this case it seems they already had about the same number of desktops
    > running Linux and the WINE-based "Crossover Office" as they had desktops
    > running Windows, in both cases to support the use of MS Office.
    >
    > Now they have decided to stop using MS Office as much as they can.
    >
    > Of course this inversion and the idea that half of them were already on
    > Linux isn't so surprising given that this operation includes some of the
    > top computer-security people in Germany.

    Just wanted to point out that COMPUTERWOCHE is the German edition of
    Computerworld, not Computer Week.
    But never mind ;-)

  20. Re: German Federal Office for Information Security Dumps Microsoftfor GNU/Linux, ODF

    tcloer@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 28 Mai, 17:09, Matt wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) Deploys StarOffice
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>> http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/ge...or_information
    >>> There are many more such migrations around the world, but this one too is
    >>> described in German. The blog provides only the gist of it.

    >> The original story from the German edition of Computer Week:
    >>
    >> http://www.computerwoche.de/knowledg...tools/1864768/
    >>
    >> This migration looks somewhat unusual. Typically the plan is to move to
    >> ODF, FF, and other cross-platform apps before moving to Linux.
    >>
    >> In this case it seems they already had about the same number of desktops
    >> running Linux and the WINE-based "Crossover Office" as they had desktops
    >> running Windows, in both cases to support the use of MS Office.
    >>
    >> Now they have decided to stop using MS Office as much as they can.
    >>
    >> Of course this inversion and the idea that half of them were already on
    >> Linux isn't so surprising given that this operation includes some of the
    >> top computer-security people in Germany.

    > Just wanted to point out that COMPUTERWOCHE is the German edition of
    > Computerworld, not Computer Week.
    > But never mind ;-)

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread