[News] European Commission Notes Denmark's Evaluation of Open Standards - Linux

  1. [News] European Commission Notes Denmark's Evaluation of Open Standards

    DK: Committee appointed to evaluate impact of Open Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Danish government last Friday appointed five experts to evaluate the
    | implementation of Open Standards in the country.
    |
    | The committee is part of a study requested earlier by the Danish Parliament
    | into the impact of Open Standards on competition. An second evaluation is
    | currently undertaken by the Danish Competition Authority.
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7661

    Stocholm and other Microsoft boosters will certainly fight this.

    Recent:

    Danish Delegate Disputes OOXML Standard Vote

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | By voting to adopt a standard based on Microsoft's OOXML document format, the
    | Danish national standards body has approved an unknown text against the
    | wishes of the main representatives on its own technical committee, according
    | to a technical committee representative from the Danish city of Aarhus. He
    | has now made a formal complaint to Dansk Standard about the OOXML vote.
    |
    | The complaint came from Jens Kjellerup, IT manager at the City Executive for
    | Children and Young People in Aarhus, who sat on the Dansk Standard technical
    | committee that assessed adoption of the Microsoft format as an international
    | standard by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO).
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | He also expressed surprise that in the first vote on OOXML in September,
    | Dansk Standard voted "no with comments," backed by a unanimous vote of its
    | technical committee, and then changed its vote to a "yes" in March --
    | although the committee this time was full of disagreement.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | He explained, however, that the consequence of complaints may be that the
    | final approval could be delayed.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,14...1/article.html

    Municipal of Aarhus post a complaint to DS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The city of Aarhus has posted an official complaint to Danish Standards
    | regarding the result of the Danish YES-vote.
    |
    | The complaint is regarding the fact that *all* non-profit votes in Denmark
    | asked for a NO. Only commercial pro-Microsoft participants voted YES.
    `----

    http://lodahl.blogspot.com/2008/05/m...plaint-to.html

    Software wars

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Allegations of committee-stuffing, the outcome of votes overridden by
    | political appointees, a final decision that many involved consider tainted:
    | this may sound like a discredited election in some third world country. But
    | it is actually a description of an ugly fight over international technical
    | standards that wrapped up this week. Microsoft came out on top, but at the
    | cost of tarnishing its reputation and the credibility of an important
    | back-room process that oils the wheels of many global industries.
    `----

    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c9743360-01a...duk.com%2Ftool

    Denmark: OOXML Vote Won't Affect Public Sector

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Denmark's public sector will not be affected if Microsoft's latest file
    | format is rejected or accepted by the International Organization for
    | Standardization (ISO), a government official said Wednesday.
    `----

    http://www.cio.com/article/188850/De..._Public_Sector

    Related:

    OOXML News From Denmark

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Re: In Denmark, Microsoft has 2 out of 4 votes
    |
    | InzpektorInzpektor 18 Feb 2008, 15:20 BST
    |
    | The Danish delegation for the BRM will consist of:
    |
    | * IBM
    | * Dansk Standard (the national standards body)
    | * Microsoft - Themselves!
    | * Microsoft Gold Certified Partner Ciber A/S
    |
    | So, I guess that means that the Danish votes are a tie. (Ofcourse with the
    | national standards body being the joker here :-) )
    |
    | Reference:
    | http://www.ds.dk/3537 (In Danish)
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-41947...sent-australia

    The Microsoft OOXML ‘Corruption Train’ Reaches Denmark

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A committee from Danish Standardisation is going to decide whether to
    | recommend a Microsoft standard as an open standard internationally. A
    | majority in the committee have close connections to Microsoft, however….17
    | out of the 31 members in the committee are so called Microsoft partners….The
    | European interest organisation Foundation for a Free Information
    | Infrastructure accuses Microsoft of influencing the decision process by
    | asking partners to join the national decision committee.
    `----

    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/07/27/denmark-ooxml/

    Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
    | WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
    | says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible'
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
    | JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
    | have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
    | get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
    | AR} - approved as an ISO standard. …
    `----

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107...by-corporation

    Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

    http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...microsoft.html

    Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

    | In a memo sent following his last meeting as head of the working group on
    | WG1, which is handling Microsoft’s application to make the Word format an ISO
    | standard as ECMA 376, outgoing Governor Martin Bryan (above), an expert on
    | SGML and XML, accused the company of stacking his group.
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1777

    EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
    | happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
    | Quinn was by no means unique.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] European Commission Notes Denmark's Evaluation of OpenStandards

    On 2008-05-28 03:53, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7661
    >
    > Stocholm and other Microsoft boosters will certainly fight this.

    Well, there are lot of MS-drones here in Sweden, much thanks to this lad:

    http://translate.google.se/translate...F8&sl=sv&tl=en

    But I think most of them now start to understand that ooxml will never be useful
    to anything else then a try to delay a standard for documents.

    /bb

  3. Re: [News] European Commission Notes Denmark's Evaluation of Open Standards

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 11:11:18 +0200, birre wrote:

    > On 2008-05-28 03:53, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7661
    >>
    >> Stocholm and other Microsoft boosters will certainly fight this.

    > Well, there are lot of MS-drones here in Sweden, much thanks to this lad:
    >
    > http://translate.google.se/translate...F8&sl=sv&tl=en
    >
    > But I think most of them now start to understand that ooxml will never be useful
    > to anything else then a try to delay a standard for documents.
    >
    > /bb

    Does your employer know you are wasting their bandwidth posting tripe to
    USENET?

    I suspect the penguin is out of the bag now.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] European Commission Notes Denmark's Evaluation of Open Standards

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  5. Re: [News] European Commission Notes Denmark's Evaluation of Open Standards

    birre espoused:
    > On 2008-05-28 03:53, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7661
    >>
    >> Stocholm and other Microsoft boosters will certainly fight this.

    > Well, there are lot of MS-drones here in Sweden, much thanks to this lad:
    >
    > http://translate.google.se/translate...F8&sl=sv&tl=en
    >
    > But I think most of them now start to understand that ooxml will never be useful
    > to anything else then a try to delay a standard for documents.

    It was a very very transparent tactic.

  6. Re: [News] European Commission Notes Denmark's Evaluation of Open Standards

    ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 05 June 2008 22:10 : \____

    > birre espoused:
    >> On 2008-05-28 03:53, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7661
    >>>
    >>> Stocholm and other Microsoft boosters will certainly fight this.

    >> Well, there are lot of MS-drones here in Sweden, much thanks to this lad:

    http://translate.google.se/translate...F8&sl=sv&tl=en

    >> But I think most of them now start to understand that ooxml will never be
    >> useful to anything else then a try to delay a standard for documents.
    >>

    > It was a very very transparent tactic.

    ....A shame that evidence (smoking guns) were collected in many more countries.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Linux is like a girlfriend; try to stick to one distribution for a lifetime
    Tasks: 166 total, 1 running, 165 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  7. Re: [News] European Commission Notes Denmark's Evaluation of Open Standards

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 05 June 2008 22:10 : \____
    >
    >> birre espoused:

    >>> Well, there are lot of MS-drones here in Sweden, much thanks to this lad:
    >>>

    > http://translate.google.se/translate...F8&sl=sv&tl=en
    >>>
    >>> But I think most of them now start to understand that ooxml will never be
    >>> useful to anything else then a try to delay a standard for documents.
    >>>

    >> It was a very very transparent tactic.

    > ...A shame that evidence (smoking guns) were collected in many more countries.

    I'm assuming you meant weren't, not were? In which case, I agree with
    you. Still, several countries are now coming back on this. Even if the
    overall count is not overturned, the fact that, perhaps for the first
    time in the history of ISO, so many countries have complained about the
    process, is very much a victory for anti-corruption, for openness and
    for real standards. It's like CAMRA, only sort of CAMRS (cameras - the
    campaign for real standards!).

    For the non-British out there, CAMRA is the Campaign for Real Ale,
    an organisation formed in the 1970s in response to the massive
    consolidation of what had been hundreds of independent breweries in the
    UK into the "big 5", at the same time as the replacement of real beer
    (the stuff which still has yeast in the barrel) with pasteurised, dead
    "bright" beer. The organisation was hugely successful, and has
    continued to be so. The UK, once again, has hundreds (over 400)
    different beers brewed by a vast number of breweries - the only country
    with more is Belgium. Of course, there are far fewer Belgians that
    Britons, so they have more beers/head, which is perhaps why they are
    always so cheerful :-) (In between beating the sh1t out of each other
    for speaking the wrong language, of course).

  8. Re: [News] European Commission Notes Denmark's Evaluation of Open Standards

    ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 06 June 2008 21:59 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 05 June 2008 22:10 : \____
    >>
    >>> birre espoused:

    http://translate.google.se/translate...F8&sl=sv&tl=en

    >>> It was a very very transparent tactic.

    >> ...A shame that evidence (smoking guns) were collected in many more
    >> countries.
    >>

    > I'm assuming you meant weren't, not were?

    Yes. Oops. I do USENET like I do IRC.

    > In which case, I agree with
    > you. Still, several countries are now coming back on this. Even if the
    > overall count is not overturned, the fact that, perhaps for the first
    > time in the history of ISO, so many countries have complained about the
    > process, is very much a victory for anti-corruption, for openness and
    > for real standards. It's like CAMRA, only sort of CAMRS (cameras - the
    > campaign for real standards!).

    It turns out that ILUG was sending the NB tons of letters protesting against
    corruption before the appeal came from India. There are many people who read
    about the truth and react.

    > For the non-British out there, CAMRA is the Campaign for Real Ale,
    > an organisation formed in the 1970s in response to the massive
    > consolidation of what had been hundreds of independent breweries in the
    > UK into the "big 5", at the same time as the replacement of real beer
    > (the stuff which still has yeast in the barrel) with pasteurised, dead
    > "bright" beer. The organisation was hugely successful, and has
    > continued to be so. The UK, once again, has hundreds (over 400)
    > different beers brewed by a vast number of breweries - the only country
    > with more is Belgium. Of course, there are far fewer Belgians that
    > Britons, so they have more beers/head, which is perhaps why they are
    > always so cheerful :-) (In between beating the sh1t out of each other
    > for speaking the wrong language, of course).

    Are these two languages 'reconcilable' and 'interoperable' though? Unlike MOOX
    (Microsoft Office) and ODF?

    - --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Far away from home, robots build people"
    07:20:01 up 53 days, 5:32, 5 users, load average: 1.59, 1.26, 1.26

  9. Re: [News] European Commission Notes Denmark's Evaluation of Open Standards

    On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 07:24:26 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    >> I'm assuming you meant weren't, not were?

    > Yes. Oops. I do USENET like I do IRC.

    Do you have IRC running your SPAM scripts as well Roy Schestowitz?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] European Commission Notes Denmark's Evaluation of Open Standards

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:

    > ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 06 June 2008 21:59 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    >>> ____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 05 June 2008 22:10 : \____

    > http://translate.google.se/translate...F8&sl=sv&tl=en

    >>> ...A shame that evidence (smoking guns) were collected in many more
    >>> countries.
    >>>

    >> I'm assuming you meant weren't, not were?

    > Yes. Oops. I do USENET like I do IRC.
    >
    >> In which case, I agree with
    >> you. Still, several countries are now coming back on this. Even if the
    >> overall count is not overturned, the fact that, perhaps for the first
    >> time in the history of ISO, so many countries have complained about the
    >> process, is very much a victory for anti-corruption, for openness and
    >> for real standards. It's like CAMRA, only sort of CAMRS (cameras - the
    >> campaign for real standards!).

    > It turns out that ILUG was sending the NB tons of letters protesting against
    > corruption before the appeal came from India. There are many people who read
    > about the truth and react.
    >
    >> For the non-British out there, CAMRA is the Campaign for Real Ale,
    >> an organisation formed in the 1970s in response to the massive
    >> consolidation of what had been hundreds of independent breweries in the
    >> UK into the "big 5", at the same time as the replacement of real beer
    >> (the stuff which still has yeast in the barrel) with pasteurised, dead
    >> "bright" beer. The organisation was hugely successful, and has
    >> continued to be so. The UK, once again, has hundreds (over 400)
    >> different beers brewed by a vast number of breweries - the only country
    >> with more is Belgium. Of course, there are far fewer Belgians that
    >> Britons, so they have more beers/head, which is perhaps why they are
    >> always so cheerful :-) (In between beating the sh1t out of each other
    >> for speaking the wrong language, of course).

    > Are these two languages 'reconcilable' and 'interoperable' though? Unlike MOOX
    > (Microsoft Office) and ODF?

    Actually, not really, no. The only place where they come together is in
    modern english, which consists of elements of both french and OHG &
    dutch/flemish. Of course, English uses the old consonant set whereas
    dutch has partially moved on and German uses the new ones. You can see
    it in several common words:

    Eng Dut Ger
    --------------------
    Day Dag Tag
    Do Dun Tun (to do, zu tun)
    Drink Drinken Trinken

    Which is why many bi-lingual Belgians also make excellent english speakers,
    as they can call upon both their french and flemish vocabularies (good
    french word!) in speaking english.

    There continue to rage huge debates in Belgium about the rules for
    french and flemish speakers - these are major parliamentary issues and
    feelings run very high.

    Having said all of that, Belgium remains a lovely country, with
    excellent beer, good food and populated with linguistic artisans of high
    order, who are usually very friendly to visitors unless you address them
    in the wrong language :-)