Open-Source ATI Driver Achieves Major R500 3D Success

,----[ Quote ]
| After some recent work today, Compiz is now working on R500 graphics cards
| using the open-source xf86-video-ati and the latest Mesa git. In addition,
| the Unreal Tournament 2004 demo is even running! There is now parity between
| the open-source R500 3D support and the level of Mesa support for the older
| R200/300/400 generations! This is one hell of a milestone.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._r500_3d&num=1

The beginning of the end of blobs on GNU/Linux systems, assuming then criminal
organisation [1] known as "Intel" doesn't assassinate competitors just like
its accomplices and masters from Redmond.

Recent:

AMD Stream SDK Coming To Linux Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA has long supported their CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture)
| technology on Linux for allowing general-purpose code algorithms to be
| executed on the graphics processor, while AMD and their Stream Computing
| support has been absent on Linux. AMD has only been supporting their Stream
| SDK on Windows XP, but this morning we have confirmation that the Software
| Development Kit will be released for Linux in the coming days.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjQ2Mw

[1] Intel "paid vendors not to use AMD"

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD filed suit in Delaware against Intel in June of 2005, accusing its
| competitor of abusing its monopolistic position. The complaint charges that
| customers were forced not to use AMD processors. At that time the Japanese
| anti-trust body was investigating Intel and the EU Commission also had its
| eye on Intel's behaviour.
`----

Related:

ATI/AMD's Open-Source Plans

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting off the X.Org talks at FOSDEM 2008 was AMD's John Bridgman, who has
| been leading the AMD GPG open-source efforts. John had talked briefly about
| the history of their open-source efforts for the R500+ series and the
| evolution of AMD GPU hardware. Among the interesting comments made were that
| TexturedVideo/X-Video support for the R500/600 may be coming quite soon, DRM
| and Mesa work forthcoming, open-source multi-GPU multi-GPU support is on the
| road-map, and they will be re-releasing R200 programming documents. The RV620
| and RV635 documentation is expected in the near future.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...bridgman&num=1

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

AMD Launches Open GPU Website

,----[ Quote ]