[News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come - Linux

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38

  1. [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    Where is 64-bit Linux support for Flash Player?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | From what I’ve heard it works fairly well on most distros but I haven’t heard
    | yet how well it works with the new Flash Player 10 beta. Despite this
    | potential workaround eventually Adobe does need to natively support 64-bit
    | Linux - and they will.
    `----

    http://linux.sys-con.com/read/575735_p.htm

    Recent:

    Flash Player 10: Dazzling Effects, Better Performance, Runs on Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Once piece of welcome news is that Adobe is releasing the Flash Player 10
    | beta for all major platforms — Windows, Mac and Linux. Adobe has even upped
    | the Linux ante with a new installer specially tailored for Ubuntu users.
    | Barclay says that Adobe considers Linux a major platform and will continue to
    | make all Flash releases simultaneous across platforms.
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...player-10.html

    Free Flash community reacts to Adobe Open Screen Project

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Both Otte and Savoye do see some limited good coming out of the Open Screen
    | Project. Otte suggests that the growing openness of Adobe might help to
    | reduce the reservations in the free software community about working to
    | reproduce proprietary technologies, as well as "the general 'flash is evil'
    | attitude" that prevails in the community."
    |
    | Moreover, both Otte and Savoye see the announcement as a hopeful sign. "I
    | think Adobe will open up Flash in the end, or at least the Flash player,"
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | Otte says.
    |
    | Savoye expresses the same hope, although he notes that, "I've been told by
    | people at Adobe that their Flash player has so many other people's
    | intellectual property in it that they can never free up the code." However,
    | he adds that examples like Sun's removal of propriety elements from the
    | original StarOffice code to produce OpenOffice.org and its current efforts
    | with Java indicate that the move is not impossible. "The trick is, are they
    | going to make that kind of commitment?" he asks.
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/134378

    Adobe Drops Licensing Fees, Gives Away Flash For Devices

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Software maker Adobe announced Thursday that it would drop many of the
    | licensing requirements attached to its Flash technology, which is used to
    | display video and audio content on the web.
    `----

    http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...drops-lic.html

    Adobe Joins Linux Foundation But Forgets About Flash for Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I would hope that Zemlin will encourage Adobe to now treat Linux as a first
    | class citizen as opposed to an afterthought for release after Windows.
    |
    | I hope Zemlin will pressure Adobe to finally actually make Flash -- not just
    | the player -- but Flash CS3 Professional, (the core Flash development tool)
    | available for Linux as a fully commercially available and supported product.
    | It is somewhat ironic in my opinion that Adobe can join the Linux Foundation,
    | claim to support Linux and yet not offer its flagship Flash development tool
    | on Linux.
    `----

    http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner...ndation-b.html

  2. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 02:44:51 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Where is 64-bit Linux support for Flash Player?

    When Linux commands 0.6 percent of the desktop market, the typical target
    audience for Flash Player, developing for Linux is way down on the priority
    list.

    I would guess 64 bit Linux support for Flash Player will come around at
    about the time 128 bit Windows support is announced.....

    Linux is all about doing without.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > Linux is all about doing without.

    hah!!! Love it!

  4. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    DFS wrote:

    > 86 pages of discussion about Feisty 7.04 crashing and freezing up

    Someone having problems with a beta.

    > 65 pages of discussion about Gutsy 7.10 crashing and freezing up
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    I love the comment from the third section:

    no i've been using elive for months and no problem with that at all, it
    never locked up. i don't use windows, i think it's worst thing i've ever
    seen. fedora and others seem ok also, although i can get crashes with
    beryl/compiz enabled on other distros...

    > 12 pages of discussion about Hardy 8.04 crashing and freezing up
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    Another person having a problem with the Broadcom Wireless driver in the
    beta version.

    > And that's just one distro. *You can easily find many examples of random
    > freezing across virtually all Linux distros.
    >
    > Plus, Results 251 - 260 of about 278,000 for Linux kernel panics

    Results 1 - 10 of about 770,000 for windows crash. (0.14 seconds)

    I love this one:

    How To Crash Windows Vista In 10 Seconds Or Less - Digital Life ...
    27 Jun 2007 ... Check out my article, "What To Do When Windows Vista
    Crashes: Little-Known Recovery Strategies." I describe the Complete PC
    Backup utility, ...
    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/..._crash_wi.html -
    47k -

    In the end, all I can really comment about is my own experience. I am
    currently using Hardy and I have used if from the day it was released. On
    MY hardware it works perfectly. It does everything that I need and runs
    cooler than any other OS that has run on this computer. This thing runs all
    the software that I need and runs it well.

    My son has since moved to Hardy and is also very happy with it. It runs a
    LOT better than Windows XP does and he doesn't have to reinstall it every
    few weeks because it picked up another piece of malware from the uni
    student net. It saves him a lot of time so that he can get on with the job
    of actually studying.

    Ian

  5. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    Ian Hilliard wrote:

    > Nope, you're the one that stated that your time is too valuable, yet you
    > spend most of your time on COLA.

    Which kind of makes his "valuable time" claim a bit dubious. These poor
    WinTrolls just can't get enough of Linux. They're so close to a stable OS
    they can almost touch it, yet they're driven away from it by their stubborn
    ignorance and ingrained fear of freedom. The door of their M$ cage hangs
    ajar, the hinges have been broken, but they continue pacing anxiously
    inside their darkned box, blinking incoherently at the light streaming in.
    Pity them, these poor, degraded creatures were once men like us, but they
    chose to serve the Monopoly and they have sold their souls.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 03:00:25 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > Ian Hilliard wrote:
    >
    >> Nope, you're the one that stated that your time is too valuable, yet you
    >> spend most of your time on COLA.

    > Which kind of makes his "valuable time" claim a bit dubious.

    Right over your head Wrong.....
    tell HPT I said hello...
    oops, I guess I just did that....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > No....
    > I said my time is too valuable to GIVE AWAY...
    >
    > What I do in my FREE TIME is my business.
    >
    > Get it?
    >
    > I doubt it.

    It appears that you have a lot of FREE TIME.

    Ian

  8. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:33:06 +0800, Ian Hilliard wrote:

    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> No....
    >> I said my time is too valuable to GIVE AWAY...
    >>
    >> What I do in my FREE TIME is my business.
    >>
    >> Get it?
    >>
    >> I doubt it.

    > It appears that you have a lot of FREE TIME.
    >
    > Ian

    I multi-task very well.
    Right now i am transcribing a collection of Enrico Caruso recordings for a
    major library collection.

    I have to listen to each one, real time.

    So I get to post while I work.

    Get it...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    Ian Hilliard wrote:

    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> No....
    >> I said my time is too valuable to GIVE AWAY...
    >>
    >> What I do in my FREE TIME is my business.
    >>
    >> Get it?
    >>
    >> I doubt it.

    > It appears that you have a lot of FREE TIME.

    Unless, of course, he's on the job when he posts here.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  10. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 03:53:17 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > Ian Hilliard wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >>
    >>> No....
    >>> I said my time is too valuable to GIVE AWAY...
    >>>
    >>> What I do in my FREE TIME is my business.
    >>>
    >>> Get it?
    >>>
    >>> I doubt it.

    >> It appears that you have a lot of FREE TIME.

    > Unless, of course, he's on the job when he posts here.

    I am...you bozo....
    See my other message.

    However unlike you leeches I am not posting from my college's network......

    Right Roy Schestowitz....

    Oh, sorry,,, they seem to have asked you to stop wasting their bandwidth
    with your SPAM.
    My mistake...
    Or was it yours, Roy Schestowitz.

    Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  11. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:42:05 +0100, William Poaster wrote:

    > As for a 64-bit FlashPlayer, there is GNASH.

    Hahahaha!
    That has to be a joke, right Willy Poaster?

    GNASH is a complete flop.....

    More Linux basement ware.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    Ian Hilliard wrote:

    >Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >
    >> No....
    >> I said my time is too valuable to GIVE AWAY...
    >>
    >> What I do in my FREE TIME is my business.
    >>
    >> Get it?
    >>
    >> I doubt it.

    >It appears that you have a lot of FREE TIME.

    Well, you have time to read and respond-to every vile troll in here,
    it seems...

  13. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    RonB wrote:

    > Which kind of makes his "valuable time" claim a bit dubious. These
    > poor WinTrolls just can't get enough of Linux. They're so close to a
    > stable OS they can almost touch it, yet they're driven away from it
    > by their stubborn ignorance and ingrained fear of freedom. The door
    > of their M$ cage hangs ajar, the hinges have been broken, but they
    > continue pacing anxiously inside their darkned box, blinking
    > incoherently at the light streaming in. Pity them, these poor,
    > degraded creatures were once men like us, but they chose to serve the
    > Monopoly and they have sold their souls.

    Signed,
    A Lifelong Windows User

  14. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    Verily I say unto thee, that Ian Hilliard spake thusly:
    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    >> No.... I said my time is too valuable to GIVE AWAY...
    >>
    >> What I do in my FREE TIME is my business.
    >>
    >> Get it?
    >>
    >> I doubt it.

    > It appears that you have a lot of FREE TIME.

    But didn't he just get through saying that his time was valuable. So
    which is it, is his time free or valuable?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    17:48:14 up 159 days, 14:24, 5 users, load average: 0.21, 0.26, 0.22

  15. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    > Where is 64-bit Linux support for Flash Player?

    [...]
    > http://linux.sys-con.com/read/575735_p.htm

    I hadn't heard of the Tamarin project until now (I knew about Adobe
    opening up parts of Flash, but I didn't know the project name).

    At first glance, I was going to comment that it's nice to finally see
    some concrete information about exactly (and technically) /why/ Adobe
    have failed to deliver 64-bit Flash (on /any/ platform), but reading the
    article one might be inclined to deduce that Mozilla is somehow to blame:

    "the missing piece for 64-bit support is open source"

    and

    "This IS open source!"

    Seems to suggest that Free Software community is somehow responsible for
    the lack of 64-bit support in Flash.

    What Mr. Ward failed to clarify is that Tamarin was /contributed/ by
    Adobe when they (finally) opened up /part/ of Flash. This was not some
    independent work at Mozilla, who then somehow failed to get it to work.
    Consumer PCs have not been deprived of 64-bit flash support for the last
    five years because of /Mozilla/.

    Also, I just found this (quoted in full):

    64bit Flash Player on Linux - Do It Yourself

    In a recent blog post, James Ward from Adobe write about where the 64bit
    support for flash player on linux is. The main point in the post is,
    that Adobe, by open sourcing the VM of the flashplayer in the tamarin
    project, has made it possible for us to do the 64bit support for them.
    He points out, that getting 64bit support is not just a simple
    recompile, due to the JIT compiler in Tamarin producing 32bit code. He
    then finishes the post with:

    "...This IS open source! You can help get 64-bit Linux support for
    Flash Player!"

    Is this what we had hopen for, when Adobe started opensourcing parts of
    the flashplayer? Is this really Adobe saying, that if we want 64bit
    support, we should go develop it ourselves? By the way, even if someone
    did (and I sure am not qualified to do so myself), that person would not
    be able to produce a 64bit linux player. Because that tamarin build
    would have to be integrated with the not-yet-open parts of the player.

    And even if we could, would we do it? Is this the attitude and angle on
    opensource, that we want from Adobe?
    http://www.techper.net/2008/05/16/64...o-it-yourself/

    Both James Ward and John Dowdell from Adobe have commented.

    Personally, I'm with the blogger (Polesen). This half-****ed approach to
    Free Software is garbage. Why would I, or anyone else, wish to
    voluntarily contribute towards something that is mostly proprietary. If
    Adobe want to bump their profits with closed software, let them /pay/
    engineers to do it. They're not getting /my/ time, which would be much
    better spent helping /actual/ Free Software projects, like Gnash (which
    already has 64-bit builds, and has done for some time).

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    18:26:48 up 159 days, 15:02, 5 users, load average: 0.83, 0.42, 0.23

  16. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  17. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  18. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  19. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  20. Re: [News] Flash for 64-bit GNU/Linux Will Come