No one cares about Linux... - Linux

This is a discussion on No one cares about Linux... - Linux ; Except those who use Linux. And of course there's always the WinTrolls. They not only care about it, they're 24/7, drooling obsessed with it. -- RonB "There's a story there...somewhere"...

  1. No one cares about Linux...

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  2. Re: No one cares about Linux...

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, RonB

    wrote
    on Tue, 27 May 2008 19:34:04 -0500
    :
    > Except those who use Linux.

    Well, who really cares anyway? I click here, I get an open
    window, I type into it or click a few buttons, maybe
    save it, close it, boom done.

    Is that using Linux? Maybe after one strips a few layers
    from the onion, and it's a rather interesting onion,
    too (I'll omit irrelevancies such as mouse pointer moves
    coming over a serial or USB line, Xlib calls, a dialog
    box modeling a file requester, and protocol packets,
    but they're in there, somewhere):

    - User pull down a menu
    - Widget library sees menu pulldown
    - Library creates a small temporary window
    - Pointer highlights "OPEN" entry in that window (redraw)
    - Application gets an event indicating the user released a mouse
    button
    - Library handles that button release, calls a callback
    application registered earlier

    [...]

    - Application code constructs std::ifstream
    - std::ifstream calls open()
    - open() calls int $0x80 with %eax=__NR_open deep deep DEEP in
    libc where no one ever sees it (allowing the application code
    to remain portable); process suspends itself as processor
    handles a callgate exception
    - Kernel gets the exception, throws it through a dispatch table,
    and ultimately winds up in sys_open()
    - sys_open() decides where to go next depending on current
    directory, mounted filesystem, etc. (it's actually an
    interesting C implementation of vaguely C++-style vtbls,
    but I digress)

    [...]

    - user sees text/pictures/diagrams/etc. from the file he opened
    in the new window.

    Is the user using Linux? An interesting philosphical
    question, in a way.

    Note that Windows has a similar onion -- but unlike
    Linux, where I can easily see the onionskins if I know
    where to look, the Windows onion is rather lumpy and dark,
    and the skins tend to stick together in an odd fashion.

    Metaphorically speaking.

    > And of course there's always the WinTrolls. They not only care about it,
    > they're 24/7, drooling obsessed with it.

    One might say Linux disturbs their revenue reverie. ;-)

    As for users of Linux -- I'll admit to wondering;
    ideally one could switch Linux with FreeBSD a la Folger's
    Crystals(tm)[*], and no one could tell the difference;
    the actual thing being *used* is along the lines of KDE,
    Gnome, XFCE, and application level stuff, through X.
    (There's minor details such as exactly how a library might
    call the kernel; Linux/x86 uses int $0x80 but FreeBSD
    probably uses something entirely different, but that's
    about it.)

    This is not to say everyone should use FreeBSD, of
    course. If anything, I prefer Linux, or at least Gentoo
    encapsulating the Linux kernel; it's got smoother edges,
    especially now that I have my laptop able to hibernate
    using tuxonice.

    (FreeBSD is more suited for servers, though Linux is also
    very popular there.)
    [*] an old TV commercial/ad campaign.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
    void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }

  3. Re: No one cares about Linux...

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:34:04 -0500, RonB wrote:

    > Except those who use Linux.

    All 0.6 percent of the desktop market.......

    Go Linux!!!

    You GO GIRL!!

    > And of course there's always the WinTrolls. They not only care about it,
    > they're 24/7, drooling obsessed with it.

    No.
    You're thinking of Roy SPAMoWitz and his Microsoft hate machine.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: No one cares about Linux...

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 22:17:35 -0400, Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:34:04 -0500, RonB wrote:
    >
    >> Except those who use Linux.

    > All 0.6 percent of the desktop market.......
    >
    > Go Linux!!!
    >
    > You GO GIRL!!
    >
    >> And of course there's always the WinTrolls. They not only care about
    >> it, they're 24/7, drooling obsessed with it.

    Prime example!

    > No.
    > You're thinking of Roy SPAMoWitz and his Microsoft hate machine.

  5. Re: No one cares about Linux...

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it