How Easy - Linux

This is a discussion on How Easy - Linux ; I needed to convert the CR/LF combination of some old dos files to LF for use under Linux, so I typed dos2unix. Turns out it's not installed on my Ubuntu 7.10 system, but it was nice enough to tell me, ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

  1. How Easy

    I needed to convert the CR/LF combination of some old dos files to LF
    for use under Linux, so I typed dos2unix. Turns out it's not
    installed on my Ubuntu 7.10 system, but it was nice enough to tell me,

    The program 'dos2unix' is currently not installed. You can install it
    by typing:
    sudo apt-get install tofrodos

    So I did this, and voila! In about 30 seconds, I have it installed,
    and files converted. How easy!
    Of course I could have searched packages for the program I wanted, but
    Ubuntu saved me the trouble.

    And BTW, Ubuntu has never crashed on me, either on this system or any
    of the other 4 systems on which I have it installed. And I've been
    using Ubuntu between 6 months and 18 months (depending on the machine,
    not all same version of Ubuntu).

  2. Re: How Easy

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:

    > And BTW, Ubuntu has never crashed on me, either on this system or any
    > of the other 4 systems on which I have it installed. And I've been
    > using Ubuntu between 6 months and 18 months (depending on the machine,
    > not all same version of Ubuntu).

    Same here. I ran it for a few months - went back to PCLinuxOS - but Ubuntu
    was a very nice experience.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ...."I'll be Bach." - Johann Sebastian Schwarzenegger

    Good to the last supper

  3. Re: How Easy

  4. Re: How Easy

    Verily I say unto thee, that nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu spake thusly:

    > The program 'dos2unix' is currently not installed. You can install
    > it by typing:
    > sudo apt-get install tofrodos

    That's a pretty cool feature. Do you know what package is providing that
    hint data?

    Of course there are other ways to achieve the same conversion:

    ~]$ file foobar.txt
    foobar.txt: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
    ~]$ perl -p -i -e 's/\r$//' foobar.txt
    ~]$ file Desktop/foobar.txt
    foobar.txt: ASCII text

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    02:56:04 up 158 days, 23:31, 6 users, load average: 0.06, 0.05, 0.07

  5. Re: How Easy

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 15:44:21 -0700 (PDT), nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu
    wrote:

    > I needed to convert the CR/LF combination of some old dos files to LF
    > for use under Linux, so I typed dos2unix. Turns out it's not
    > installed on my Ubuntu 7.10 system, but it was nice enough to tell me,

    Wow!

    That feature alone is going to be the "killer app" which will put Linux on
    the desktop in massive amounts of numbers!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: How Easy

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 02:11:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > There is hardly such a thing (crash), unless you're doing something wrong or
    > installing it on incompatible hardware.
    > I suppose that if you run beta software

    The FACTS that DFS posted strongly disagree with your LIES Roy Schestowitz.

    Above we have the typical Linux zealot who will try to place the blame on
    hardware, the user etc.

    It's always anything BUT Linux.

    As for beta software, Linux *IS* beta software.
    Much of it should be ALPHA software.

    Roy Schestowitz is yet another example of "LIEING for LIEnix" .

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: How Easy

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 May 2008 02:11:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    >> There is hardly such a thing (crash), unless you're doing something
    >> wrong or installing it on incompatible hardware.

    Then I guess the majority of PC hardware out there is incompatible, since
    the random and total system freezes experienced by so many Ubuntu users
    occur across all manner of CPUs, mobos, videocards, routers, wireless cards,
    USB devices, etc.

    Oh, and it's easy to prove it to yourself Spamowitz:

    86 pages of discussion about Feisty 7.04 freezing up

    65 pages of discussion about Gutsy 7.10 freezing up
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    12 pages of discussion about Hardy 8.04 freezing up
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    >> I suppose that if you run beta software

    Then you're a step up from production Linux releases.

    > The FACTS that DFS posted strongly disagree with your LIES Roy
    > Schestowitz.

    He knows he's a liar. All lying "advocates" know they're liars. They know
    telling the truth about Linux often sounds comical.

    > Above we have the typical Linux zealot who will try to place the
    > blame on hardware, the user etc.
    >
    > It's always anything BUT Linux.

    Until you leave cola and get away from certain "advocate" idiots and enter
    the forums where they don't hide behind lies.

    > As for beta software, Linux *IS* beta software.
    > Much of it should be ALPHA software.

    Careful, Moshe. You're giving Linux welfare it hasn't earned.

    > Roy Schestowitz is yet another example of "LIEING for LIEnix" .

    The biggest liars are the most likely to post crap and killfile and/or
    refuse to respond to challenges (Spamowitz, Rex Ballard, 7, [H]ypocrite, C.
    Hunter, Gidget, OldTech, fliar).

  8. Re: How Easy

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 01:00:05 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 May 2008 02:11:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> There is hardly such a thing (crash), unless you're doing something
    >>> wrong or installing it on incompatible hardware.

    > Then I guess the majority of PC hardware out there is incompatible, since
    > the random and total system freezes experienced by so many Ubuntu users
    > occur across all manner of CPUs, mobos, videocards, routers, wireless cards,
    > USB devices, etc.
    >
    > Oh, and it's easy to prove it to yourself Spamowitz:
    >
    > 86 pages of discussion about Feisty 7.04 freezing up
    >
    > 65 pages of discussion about Gutsy 7.10 freezing up
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >
    > 12 pages of discussion about Hardy 8.04 freezing up
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >

    >>> I suppose that if you run beta software

    > Then you're a step up from production Linux releases.
    >

    >> The FACTS that DFS posted strongly disagree with your LIES Roy
    >> Schestowitz.

    > He knows he's a liar. All lying "advocates" know they're liars. They know
    > telling the truth about Linux often sounds comical.
    >

    >> Above we have the typical Linux zealot who will try to place the
    >> blame on hardware, the user etc.
    >>
    >> It's always anything BUT Linux.

    > Until you leave cola and get away from certain "advocate" idiots and enter
    > the forums where they don't hide behind lies.
    >

    >> As for beta software, Linux *IS* beta software.
    >> Much of it should be ALPHA software.

    > Careful, Moshe. You're giving Linux welfare it hasn't earned.
    >

    >> Roy Schestowitz is yet another example of "LIEING for LIEnix" .

    > The biggest liars are the most likely to post crap and killfile and/or
    > refuse to respond to challenges (Spamowitz, Rex Ballard, 7, [H]ypocrite, C.
    > Hunter, Gidget, OldTech, fliar).

    All true statements.

    Take the Linux zealot out of COLA and put him in a legitimate group and he
    looks like the idiot he is because people will actually challenge him to
    substantiate his claims.

    Look at how Schestowitz got his ass kicked on the podcast.

    He tried his usual soft shoe and ended up looking like a fool.

    http://www.linux.com/feature/122470

    Look at Willy Poaster who got lamabsted over in the Ubuntu group for
    whining about his fantastic filters.

    What a complete joke that guy is.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: How Easy

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > I needed to convert the CR/LF combination of some old dos files to LF
    > for use under Linux, so I typed dos2unix. Turns out it's not
    > installed on my Ubuntu 7.10 system, but it was nice enough to tell me,
    >
    > The program 'dos2unix' is currently not installed. You can install it
    > by typing:
    > sudo apt-get install tofrodos
    >
    > So I did this, and voila! In about 30 seconds, I have it installed,
    > and files converted. How easy!
    > Of course I could have searched packages for the program I wanted, but
    > Ubuntu saved me the trouble.
    >
    > And BTW, Ubuntu has never crashed on me, either on this system or any
    > of the other 4 systems on which I have it installed.

    That's because you don't do much with it. Start running games and media
    players and playing music and building spreadsheets and interfacing it to
    databases and running it on a wireless networks and using external devices.

    Use it like people use Windows, and watch Linux fall right down.

  10. Re: How Easy (is not in the linux dictionary)

    wrote in message
    >I needed to convert the CR/LF combination of some old dos files to LF
    > for use under Linux, so I typed dos2unix. Turns out it's not
    > installed on my Ubuntu 7.10 system, but it was nice enough to tell me,
    >
    > The program 'dos2unix' is currently not installed. You can install it
    > by typing:
    > sudo apt-get install tofrodos
    >
    > So I did this, and voila! In about 30 seconds, I have it installed,
    > and files converted. How easy!
    > Of course I could have searched packages for the program I wanted, but
    > Ubuntu saved me the trouble.
    >
    > And BTW, Ubuntu has never crashed on me, either on this system or any
    > of the other 4 systems on which I have it installed. And I've been
    > using Ubuntu between 6 months and 18 months (depending on the machine,
    > not all same version of Ubuntu).

    You idiots just don't "get it" do you. This is a perfect example of why
    linux is nowhere near ready for the masses.

    - "I needed to convert the CR/LF combination of some old dos files to LF for
    use under Linux..."

    Go out there and explain to the average Joe what the difference between
    "CR/LF" and "CR" is. It's certainly something that 99% of computer users
    *never* think about. They press on their keyboard and it's simply
    the end of the current line. Normal people don't want to care or have to
    know why some OS's use CR and other OS's use CRLF. They sure as hell don't
    want to have to "convert" their CR/LF files to CR in order to use them on
    linux.

    - "so I typed dos2unix."

    So what you're saying is that the apps you use are too stupid to figure this
    out and do the right thing automatically. So you have to once again go to
    the command line, 'cd' into the correct directory and know that your need to
    run a CLI application named "dos2unix" in order to "convert" the files
    before you can actually use them.

    Oh yeah... this is all real easy for the average Joe to understand and do.
    When **** don't work most "average people" will automatically think... "I
    bet it's a problem with lines being terminated with a CR/LF instead of a CR.
    I'll just jump right into the command line, 'cd' into the correct directory
    and run the "dos2unix" command in order to fix it."

    Suuuuurrrre. That's exactly what "average people" are going to do. What
    horror stories like this I'm actually surprised that the linux desktop
    marketshare is as high as 0.6% - it should be half that.

  11. Re: How Easy

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 10:42:29 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> I needed to convert the CR/LF combination of some old dos files to LF
    >> for use under Linux, so I typed dos2unix. Turns out it's not installed
    >> on my Ubuntu 7.10 system, but it was nice enough to tell me,
    >>
    >> The program 'dos2unix' is currently not installed. You can install it
    >> by typing:
    >> sudo apt-get install tofrodos
    >>
    >> So I did this, and voila! In about 30 seconds, I have it installed,
    >> and files converted. How easy!
    >> Of course I could have searched packages for the program I wanted, but
    >> Ubuntu saved me the trouble.
    >>
    >> And BTW, Ubuntu has never crashed on me, either on this system or any
    >> of the other 4 systems on which I have it installed.

    > That's because you don't do much with it. Start running games and media
    > players and playing music and building spreadsheets and interfacing it
    > to databases and running it on a wireless networks and using external
    > devices.
    >
    > Use it like people use Windows, and watch Linux fall right down.

    I do all of the above (except the games part), and more, regularly, on
    this here little desktop box (running Mandriva Spring 2008 x86-64). For
    some odd reason, it refuses to fall down. Or freeze. My kids have
    Mandriva as well (32-bit), one of the boxes is a 7-year old Athlon 900,
    same age as Timmy. Even HE can't crash it, been up 34 days now (soon to
    be rebooted for kernel upgrade).

    Work is another story. That box usually lasts about 3 days between
    reboots, is subject to random application freezes (usually Outlook), and
    drops network connections on a regular basis. And I'm only using a few
    productivity apps there. Of course, that box is bogged down with McAfee
    and all kinds of corporate nannyware, so the comparison may not be
    completely fair. Still, if I want to watch something fall down, I need
    to be on a Windows box.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  12. Re: How Easy

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Homer

    wrote
    on Wed, 28 May 2008 02:56:42 +0100
    :
    > Verily I say unto thee, that nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu spake thusly:
    >
    >> The program 'dos2unix' is currently not installed. You can install
    >> it by typing:
    >> sudo apt-get install tofrodos

    > That's a pretty cool feature. Do you know what package is providing that
    > hint data?
    >
    > Of course there are other ways to achieve the same conversion:
    >
    > ~]$ file foobar.txt
    > foobar.txt: ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators
    > ~]$ perl -p -i -e 's/\r$//' foobar.txt
    > ~]$ file Desktop/foobar.txt
    > foobar.txt: ASCII text

    Probably slightly simpler to just use sed,
    if one doesn't have dos2unix:

    ~]$ sed < foobar.txt > foobar_out.txt 's,^M,,'

    (where ^M is the visual representation of Control-M, which is
    carriage return).

    Or one can use tr:

    ~]$ tr -d '^M' < foobar.txt > foobar_out.txt

    (apparently "tr '^M' ''" doesn't work).

    For interactive simplicity, one can use in many vi clones
    the command

    :set fileformat=unix

    after opening a file with carriage returns (should show [dos]),
    or one can do

    :1,$s/^M//

    if one sees ^M characters.

    As for what package provides dos2unix, Gentoo has app-text/dos2unix.
    I can't say regarding other distros, but suspect something similar.

    So many choices! :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.

  13. Re: How Easy

    On 2008-05-28, skydweller claimed:

    > ......one of the boxes is a 7-year old Athlon 900,
    > same age as Timmy.

    Smith?

    --
    A computer without Windows is like a fish without a bicycle.

  14. Re: How Easy

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 14:21:52 -0500, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > On 2008-05-28, skydweller claimed:
    >
    >> ......one of the boxes is a 7-year old Athlon 900, same age as Timmy.

    > Smith?

    Nah, my younger son. His function on the home QA team is to execute
    previously unheard-of keystroke combinations in hopes of frying X. Up
    until a few months ago, he manged to do this on a fairly regular basis.
    Not any more.

    --
    This message brought to you by your Department of Redundancy Department

  15. Re: How Easy

    On 2008-05-28, DFS wrote:
    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 May 2008 02:11:23 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>

    >>> There is hardly such a thing (crash), unless you're doing something
    >>> wrong or installing it on incompatible hardware.

    > Then I guess the majority of PC hardware out there is incompatible, since
    > the random and total system freezes experienced by so many Ubuntu users
    > occur across all manner of CPUs, mobos, videocards, routers, wireless cards,
    > USB devices, etc.

    ....ok then.

    Compile us a sorted list.

    Include grand totals.

    > Oh, and it's easy to prove it to yourself Spamowitz:

    That's not proof. That's noise.

    If you want to provide "proof" collate the data.

    > 86 pages of discussion about Feisty 7.04 freezing up
    >
    > 65 pages of discussion about Gutsy 7.10 freezing up
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >
    > 12 pages of discussion about Hardy 8.04 freezing up
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >

    >>> I suppose that if you run beta software

    > Then you're a step up from production Linux releases.
    >

    >> The FACTS that DFS posted strongly disagree with your LIES Roy
    >> Schestowitz.

    > He knows he's a liar. All lying "advocates" know they're liars. They know
    > telling the truth about Linux often sounds comical.
    >

    >> Above we have the typical Linux zealot who will try to place the
    >> blame on hardware, the user etc.
    >>
    >> It's always anything BUT Linux.

    > Until you leave cola and get away from certain "advocate" idiots and enter
    > the forums where they don't hide behind lies.
    >

    >> As for beta software, Linux *IS* beta software.
    >> Much of it should be ALPHA software.

    > Careful, Moshe. You're giving Linux welfare it hasn't earned.
    >

    >> Roy Schestowitz is yet another example of "LIEING for LIEnix" .

    > The biggest liars are the most likely to post crap and killfile and/or
    > refuse to respond to challenges (Spamowitz, Rex Ballard, 7, [H]ypocrite, C.
    > Hunter, Gidget, OldTech, fliar).

    --

    The social cost of suing/prosecuting individuals |||
    for non-commercial copyright infringement far outweighs / | \

  16. Re: How Easy

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 15:43:26 -0500, JEDIDIAH wrote:

    > On 2008-05-28, DFS wrote:

    >> The biggest liars are the most likely to post crap and killfile and/or
    >> refuse to respond to challenges (Spamowitz, Rex Ballard, 7, [H]ypocrite,
    >> C. Hunter, Gidget, OldTech, fliar).

    Looks like DooFu$ is getting desperate for attention. His "challenges"
    aren't worth a brass washer. The winzealot/troll has been corrected dozens
    of times, but still iterates the same old crap.
    No wonder people get fed up with him & bin. What a tosser.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  17. Re: How Easy

    Verily I say unto thee, that JEDIDIAH spake thusly:
    > On 2008-05-28, DFS wrote:

    >> Then I guess the majority of PC hardware out there is incompatible,
    >> since the random and total system freezes experienced by so many
    >> Ubuntu users occur across all manner of CPUs, mobos, videocards,
    >> routers, wireless cards, USB devices, etc.

    > ...ok then.
    >
    > Compile us a sorted list.
    >
    > Include grand totals.

    He should ensure he compiles a similar incomparability list for Vista.

    >> 86 pages of discussion about Feisty 7.04 freezing up
    >>
    >> 65 pages of discussion about Gutsy 7.10 freezing up
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze
    >>
    >> 12 pages of discussion about Hardy 8.04 freezing up
    >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ghlight=freeze

    590 posts of XP SP3 sowing havoc (ranging from spontaneous reboots to
    outright system crashes):

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...xp=&sloc=en-us

    And that's just one event, for one subcomponent of one product. Check
    out the Windows NGs, especially Vista ... it's utter chaos.

    But still ... can't beat Microsoft's finest Slopware, eh DooFy?

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    23:29:39 up 159 days, 20:05, 5 users, load average: 0.10, 0.17, 0.22

  18. Re: How Easy

    On 2008-05-28, William Poaster claimed:

    > Looks like DooFu$ is getting desperate for attention. His "challenges"
    > aren't worth a brass washer. The winzealot/troll has been corrected dozens
    > of times, but still iterates the same old crap.
    > No wonder people get fed up with him & bin. What a tosser.

    He was mostly worthless before. And racist. Now he's just plain loonie,
    with all of the baggage that carries with it.

    --
    Windows: When crystal meth just isn't enough.

  19. Re: How Easy

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it