How Easy - Linux

This is a discussion on How Easy - Linux ; In comp.os.linux.advocacy, nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote on Fri, 30 May 2008 13:01:55 -0700 (PDT) : > For the record, the DOS files were created by a Fortran program I > wrote in 1991 on a DOS machine, which a C program I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 53 of 53

  1. Re: How Easy (is not in the linux dictionary)

    :
    > For the record, the DOS files were created by a Fortran program I
    > wrote in 1991 on a DOS machine, which a C program I wrote on Linux
    > much later is trying to read.
    >
    > I used Microsoft products while they were under DOS, but never wanted
    > to migrate to Windows. DOS was ok, at least you had the source code.

    Not sure about that...though IBM did publish the BIOS code for its
    early model PCs. Of course DOS is a very simple beast compared
    to Windows, Linux, MacOSX, MacOS, or even AmigaOS. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #2239120:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = p; strcpy(p,q); }

  2. Re: How Easy (is not in the linux dictionary)

    wrote in message
    > For the record, the DOS files were created by a Fortran program I
    > wrote in 1991 on a DOS machine, which a C program I wrote on Linux
    > much later is trying to read.

    So exactly what part of what you did in your "How Easy" post would you
    consider to be "easy" for Average Joe who does something like run a
    hardware store or something.

    > I used Microsoft products while they were under DOS, but never wanted
    > to migrate to Windows. DOS was ok, at least you had the source code.

    When did DOS go open source? Or is your memory that bad on this topic as
    well.

  3. Re: How Easy (is not in the linux dictionary)

    William Poaster wrote:
    > Cork Soaker wrote:
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> nessuno wrote...

    >>> You idiots just don't "get it" do you. This is a perfect
    >>> example of why linux is nowhere near ready for the masses.

    This is an example of

    7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics

    [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The liberal
    use of profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective,
    particularly when used against you more dignified opponents.
    Your experience as a school yard bully can be handy here.
    and the coup de grāce is

    48. Don't let your ignorance stop you from posting. No matter
    how little you understand of the issues being discussed in a
    thread, post anyway. If you don't know what you are talking about
    just pretend that you do.

    >>> - "I needed to convert the CR/LF combination of some old
    >>> dos files to LF for use under Linux..."
    >>>
    >>> Go out there and explain to the average Joe what the
    >>> difference between "CR/LF" and "CR" is. It's certainly
    >>> something that 99% of computer users *never* think about.
    >>> They press on their keyboard and it's simply the
    >>> end of the current line. Normal people don't want to care
    >>> or have to know why some OS's use CR and other OS's use
    >>> CRLF. They sure as hell don't want to have to "convert"
    >>> their CR/LF files to CR in order to use them on linux.

    This logic is simply flawed. How does one do it in Windows? One
    way is to use edlin.exe, which is in the ,
    C:\WinNT\system32 directory (how many Windows users know that
    "directory", not "folder" is proper IT English?).

    How many Windows users know how to use edlin?

    So Linux is a failure because a Windows user does not know how to
    use edlin?

    So a Windoze VB script kiddie does not know to convert a file
    from to when his supervisor says, "Do it!", might
    wind up being hungry. Oh, I forgot, they pro'ly don't know what
    0Dh 0Ah is, let alone rest of ASCII.

    >> Joe Public can't even set up Windows, so your logic is far
    >> from reasonable.

    > Quite. And a lot of windoze users have problems installing
    > applications, let alone Windows itself.

    .... and setting up printers. How many know that in order to
    communicate with a network printer (like HP DirectJet[tm]
    equipped), one defines it as a local printer, not network printer
    by defining a local TCP/IP output port on their PC first in local
    printer setup? That going the network printer route is expecting
    a host with a shared printer?

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati

  4. Re: How Easy (is not in the linux dictionary)

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 05:49:12 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker wrote:

    > This is an example of
    >
    > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/linux/advocacy/faq-and-primer/
    >

    > 7.6 Trespasser Disinformation Tactics
    >
    > [3.] Put your opponent off guard by insulting him. The liberal use of
    > profanity and vulgarisms can be very effective, particularly when used
    > against you more dignified opponents. Your experience as a school yard
    > bully can be handy here.
    >
    > and the coup de grāce is
    >

    > 48. Don't let your ignorance stop you from posting. No matter how little
    > you understand of the issues being discussed in a thread, post anyway. If
    > you don't know what you are talking about just pretend that you do.

    > This logic is simply flawed. How does one do it in Windows? One way is
    > to use edlin.exe, which is in the , C:\WinNT\system32 directory (how
    > many Windows users know that "directory", not "folder" is proper IT
    > English?).
    >
    > How many Windows users know how to use edlin?

    And just how many Windoze users know what edlin *is*, let alone even
    *heard* of it?

    > So Linux is a failure because a Windows user does not know how to use
    > edlin?

    It's another strawman argument from an idiot wintroll.

    > So a Windoze VB script kiddie does not know to convert a file from
    > to when his supervisor says, "Do it!", might wind up being
    > hungry. Oh, I forgot, they pro'ly don't know what 0Dh 0Ah is, let alone
    > rest of ASCII.
    >
    >>> Joe Public can't even set up Windows, so your logic is far from
    >>> reasonable.

    >> Quite. And a lot of windoze users have problems installing applications,
    >> let alone Windows itself.

    > ... and setting up printers. How many know that in order to communicate
    > with a network printer (like HP DirectJet[tm] equipped), one defines it as
    > a local printer, not network printer by defining a local TCP/IP output
    > port on their PC first in local printer setup? That going the network
    > printer route is expecting a host with a shared printer?

    A great majority of windoze users probably wouldn't even know that either.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  5. Re: How Easy (is not in the linux dictionary)

    High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >>> Joe Public can't even set up Windows, so your logic is far from
    >>> reasonable.

    >> Ezekiel is showing his frustration level. Maybe he's worried that
    >> flatfish will find a new sockpuppet. Or maybe go back to an old one,
    >> like LITTLE PEDRO.

    > .... or Abbie Diaz, achmed.jones, Aftab Singh, Allen Cusimano, Allie
    > Perkins....

    He's obviously mentally-ill. Perhaps it's a good thing that he's got
    this outlet for his sociopathic tendencies. Otherwise, who knows what
    poor animal would be suffering right now.

  6. Re: How Easy (is not in the linux dictionary)

    "High Plains Thumper" wrote in message

    > This logic is simply flawed. How does one do it in Windows? One way is
    > to use edlin.exe, which is in the , C:\WinNT\system32 directory
    > (how many Windows users know that "directory", not "folder" is proper IT
    > English?).
    >
    > How many Windows users know how to use edlin?

    That's the point you idiot. Windows users don't need to use edlin and very,
    very few even know it exists. But linux users *DO* need to use dos2unix and
    the command line. Ask your older sister to explain this to you if you still
    don't get it.

    > So Linux is a failure because a Windows user does not know how to use
    > edlin?

    Linux is a failure because it's too difficult to use. Windows users don't
    need to know how to use edlin or even know that edlin exists. Linux users
    still need to spend way too much time configuring things from the command
    line.

    > So a Windoze VB script kiddie does not know to convert a file from
    > to when his supervisor says, "Do it!", might wind up being
    > hungry. Oh, I forgot, they pro'ly don't know what 0Dh 0Ah is, let alone
    > rest of ASCII.

    That's the point you idiot. Windows users don't need to know about ASCII
    codes to user their computer. Whereas just about every linux user does
    because they spend way too much time tweaking things from the command line.
    Thanks for proving my point.

    >>> Joe Public can't even set up Windows, so your logic is far
    >>> from reasonable.

    >> Quite. And a lot of windoze users have problems installing
    >> applications, let alone Windows itself.

    The average level of "computer competence" with Joe Public is very low.
    Windows is easier to use is a better fit for them. It's the complications
    of linux and crap like going to the command line to configure things and
    run "dos2unix" in order to use a file that is keeping average computer
    users from adopting linux. Thanks again for proving my point.

    > ... and setting up printers. How many know that in order to communicate
    > with a network printer (like HP DirectJet[tm] equipped), one defines it
    > as a local printer, not network printer by defining a local TCP/IP output
    > port on their PC first in local printer setup? That going the network
    > printer route is expecting a host with a shared printer?

    Sounds like you're a Windows user. Like most "advocates" here, you probably
    use Windows most of the time but only pretend to be an advocate.

  7. Re: How Easy (is not in the linux dictionary)

    On Sat, 31 May 2008 05:51:11 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >
    >>> Joe Public can't even set up Windows, so your logic is far
    >>> from reasonable.

    >> Ezekiel is showing his frustration level. Maybe he's worried
    >> that flatfish will find a new sockpuppet. Or maybe go back to
    >> an old one, like LITTLE PEDRO.

    > .... or Abbie Diaz, achmed.jones, Aftab Singh, Allen Cusimano,
    > Allie Perkins, Allison Juergans, allison_hunt1969, Alicia Hunt,
    > Ana Thema, andyschipowitz, Anna Banger, anonymous, arkady.duntov,

    -----snip a lot of I don't know what....

    Those seem to be the same names that the stalking troll keeps using.
    Interesting that you have them right at your disposal HPT.

    Very interesting....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  8. Re: How Easy

    nessuno wrote:

    > I needed to convert the CR/LF combination of some old dos
    > files to LF for use under Linux, so I typed dos2unix. Turns
    > out it's not installed on my Ubuntu 7.10 system, but it was
    > nice enough to tell me,
    >
    > The program 'dos2unix' is currently not installed. You can
    > install it by typing: sudo apt-get install tofrodos
    >
    > So I did this, and voila! In about 30 seconds, I have it
    > installed, and files converted. How easy! Of course I could
    > have searched packages for the program I wanted, but Ubuntu
    > saved me the trouble.

    Another way is to use the replace function in gedit. Global
    replace "\r\n" (short hand for ) with "\n" ().

    > And BTW, Ubuntu has never crashed on me, either on this system
    > or any of the other 4 systems on which I have it installed.
    > And I've been using Ubuntu between 6 months and 18 months
    > (depending on the machine, not all same version of Ubuntu).

    Ubuntu has been running fine for me, for the past two years. I
    have it both installed on my desktop and my laptop.

    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  9. Re: How Easy - Troll Alert

    Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    > High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >>> Ezekiel is showing his frustration level. Maybe he's
    >>> worried that flatfish will find a new sockpuppet. Or
    >>> maybe go back to an old one, like LITTLE PEDRO.

    >> .... or Abbie Diaz, achmed.jones, Aftab Singh, Allen
    >> Cusimano, Allie Perkins, Allison Juergans, allison_hunt1969,
    >> Alicia Hunt, Ana Thema, andyschipowitz, Anna Banger,
    >> anonymous, arkady.duntov,

    > -----snip a lot of I don't know what....
    >
    > Those seem to be the same names that the stalking troll keeps
    > using. Interesting that you have them right at your disposal
    > HPT.
    >
    > Very interesting....

    Oh yes, especially this:

    Name: Moshe Goldfarb (aka flatfish, Gary Stewart, ...)

    Traits:

    * See entry for flatfish troll
    * Apart from the flatfish posting style, he/she/it often
    drops a clanger (thanks to 'A Gnu World Order' for doing the
    research for this):

    From: flatfish
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:39:40 -0500

    I was thinking of buying one for my daughter this June when she
    graduates from college and heads to Law School.

    http://snipurl.com/20rkr

    From: Moshe Goldfarb
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:11:03 -0500

    It's a document she needs to send with her application to Law School

    http://snipurl.com/20rl0

    From: Moshe Goldfarb
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
    Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 00:28:47 -0500

    The only thing I can say is that my daughter's law school essay

    http://snipurl.com/20rl9

    [poor flatfish, you should have stuck to using x-no-archive]

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar
    * Frequently cross posts replies to other non-Linux related
    newsgroups

    [....]

    The flatfish troll nyms shifts an extraordinary amount often
    using the nyms as sock puppets. Here is a list of some of the
    nyms the flatfish troll has used (NB: flatfish will often use the
    names of other posters as nyms):

    Abbie Diaz, achmed.jones, Aftab Singh, Allen Cusimano, Allie
    Perkins, Allison Juergans, allison_hunt1969, Alicia Hunt, Ana
    Thema, andyschipowitz, Anna Banger, anonymous, arkady.duntov,

    [300 nyms snipped]

    Waterskidoo, wendy, Wendy Duzz, Wendy Toiletwater, Whizzer,
    Wilbur J, willy watkins jr, Willy Wong, wiltons_pypes, Winnie
    Septos, wizard.shot, wm_walsh, Wobbles, wylbur.horseman, Yanick
    Schmuley and zyklon_C. Plus many, many, many more.
    --
    HPT
    Quando omni flunkus moritati
    (If all else fails, play dead)
    - "Red" Green

  10. Re: How Easy - Troll Alert

    High Plains Thumper writes:

    > Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper wrote:

    >>> .... or Abbie Diaz, achmed.jones, Aftab Singh, Allen
    >>> Cusimano, Allie Perkins, Allison Juergans, allison_hunt1969,
    >>> Alicia Hunt, Ana Thema, andyschipowitz, Anna Banger,
    >>> anonymous, arkady.duntov,

    >> -----snip a lot of I don't know what....
    >>
    >> Those seem to be the same names that the stalking troll keeps
    >> using. Interesting that you have them right at your disposal
    >> HPT.
    >>
    >> Very interesting....

    > Oh yes, especially this:
    >
    > http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html

    Is there really a dumber poaster than High Plains Hypocrite ? Willy
    Poaster is more useless and certainly more boring, but High Plains
    Hypocrite constantly exhibits the very features for why he is so
    despised and mocked by "advocates" and others alike. It's almost
    embarrassing to read his nonsense.

  11. Re: How Easy - Troll Alert

    On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 19:42:38 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > High Plains Thumper writes:
    >
    >> Moshe, Goldfarb. wrote:

    >>> -----snip a lot of I don't know what....
    >>>
    >>> Those seem to be the same names that the stalking troll keeps
    >>> using. Interesting that you have them right at your disposal
    >>> HPT.
    >>>
    >>> Very interesting....

    >> Oh yes, especially this:
    >>
    >> http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2008/...arb-troll.html

    > Is there really a dumber poaster than High Plains Hypocrite ? Willy
    > Poaster is more useless and certainly more boring, but High Plains
    > Hypocrite constantly exhibits the very features for why he is so
    > despised and mocked by "advocates" and others alike. It's almost
    > embarrassing to read his nonsense.

    I don't think I recall ever seeing a more ignorant poster than High Plains
    Humper.

    Notice how few replies he gets to his boring messages.
    Even the Linux *advocates* fall asleep reading them.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: How Easy (is not in the linux dictionary)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic