Mono and RAND - Linux

This is a discussion on Mono and RAND - Linux ; On Wed, 28 May 2008 23:12:56 +0100, Homer wrote: > Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly: >> On 2008-05-28, chrisv wrote: > >>> Threats and FUD *do* work, you know... >> >> Sure, I am not ...

  1. Re: Mono and RAND

> [...]

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:
    >> On 2008-05-28, chrisv wrote:

    >>> Threats and FUD *do* work, you know...

    >> Sure, I am not denying it. But, when have they actually made a
    >> specific threat against against a specific company? Don't bring up
    >> lindows and mikerowesoft... Those are trademark disputes, and they
    >> are obligated to defend their trademark. I'm talking specifically
    >> about patent suites.

    > You're digressing, and no I don't have the data to answer that question,
    > but then the CIOs and other managers who make risk assessments probably
    > don't have that data either - but I'm sure that fact doesn't prevent
    > them from being jaded against using Linux, every time Ballmer opens his
    > fat mouth and makes claims of "undisclosed balance-sheet liabilities".
    >
    > If someone who makes threats never follows up on those threats, does
    > that make their threatening behaviour /acceptable/ somehow?
    >
    > When a woman screams "rape", in the minds of the community the accused
    > remains stigmatised as a rapist, even if the woman later confesses to
    > lying. The damage is done. That's just one of Microsoft's many filthy
    > tactics.
    >
    > Whether or not Microsoft ever actually /deploy/ any of the weapons in
    > their arsenal, they nonetheless still possess those weapons, and they
    > certainly don't lack the moral depravity necessary to use them. IOW they
    > are a threat, just like any other collection of thugs.
    >
    > What I find quite extraordinary is how, in the face of pages and pages
    > of evidence proving Microsoft's thuggish behaviour, certain people just
    > /skim/ over it all, like it doesn't have any significance whatsoever,
    > then promptly forget everything they've just read. Like I've mentioned
    > before, it's like such people have developed a blind spot; like they're
    > become so indoctrinated into this sick culture, that preaches the idea
    > that such behaviour is somehow "normal", that they just shrug it off and
    > defend the thugs who both preach this indoctrination and practise it's
    > vile methods.
    >
    > Does Microsoft's utter moral depravity mean /nothing/ to you?
    >
    > Has Microsoft ever pursued a patent infringement claim in court, for
    > technology they previously "promised" not to sue? I have no idea, but if
    > they ever did it would be the least of their crimes. Merely by claiming
    > ownership of this technology, they have control and the means to affect
    > destruction of those who use it, if the mood takes them. And certain
    > so-called Free Software developers are actually /assisting/ Microsoft's
    > infiltration of Free Software, by helping them spread the disease of
    > their "Intellectual Monopoly". You say they haven't /acted/ on those
    > threats ... yet. Prove they won't ... ever. Prove they don't have the
    > motive and attitude to do so.
    >
    > Again I say, they are a threat, and for as long as they operate their
    > business like a mad dictator threatening genocide of a neighbouring

    What a nut!
    Dude, your tinfoil hat is cutting off your blood supply [Homer].

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  2. Re: Mono and RAND

    On 2008-05-28, Homer wrote:
    > Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:
    >> On 2008-05-28, chrisv wrote:

    >>> Threats and FUD *do* work, you know...

    >> Sure, I am not denying it. But, when have they actually made a
    >> specific threat against against a specific company? Don't bring up
    >> lindows and mikerowesoft... Those are trademark disputes, and they
    >> are obligated to defend their trademark. I'm talking specifically
    >> about patent suites.

    > You're digressing, and no I don't have the data to answer that question,
    > but then the CIOs and other managers who make risk assessments probably
    > don't have that data either - but I'm sure that fact doesn't prevent
    > them from being jaded against using Linux, every time Ballmer opens his
    > fat mouth and makes claims of "undisclosed balance-sheet liabilities".

    I understand your dislike of their posturing. I don't like it either.
    I think it makes them seem small. Personally, if I were in charge, I
    would not take that tack.

    But, the reason you have no data on this subject is because there is none.
    MS is not in the habbit of bringing these sort of litigations. Hence, it
    is not their weapon of choice. It is simply a scare tactic.

    > If someone who makes threats never follows up on those threats, does
    > that make their threatening behaviour /acceptable/ somehow?
    >
    > When a woman screams "rape", in the minds of the community the accused
    > remains stigmatised as a rapist, even if the woman later confesses to
    > lying. The damage is done. That's just one of Microsoft's many filthy
    > tactics.
    >
    > Whether or not Microsoft ever actually /deploy/ any of the weapons in
    > their arsenal, they nonetheless still possess those weapons, and they
    > certainly don't lack the moral depravity necessary to use them. IOW they
    > are a threat, just like any other collection of thugs.
    >
    > What I find quite extraordinary is how, in the face of pages and pages
    > of evidence proving Microsoft's thuggish behaviour, certain people just
    > /skim/ over it all, like it doesn't have any significance whatsoever,
    > then promptly forget everything they've just read. Like I've mentioned
    > before, it's like such people have developed a blind spot; like they're
    > become so indoctrinated into this sick culture, that preaches the idea
    > that such behaviour is somehow "normal", that they just shrug it off and
    > defend the thugs who both preach this indoctrination and practise it's
    > vile methods.
    >
    > Does Microsoft's utter moral depravity mean /nothing/ to you?

    Hmmm... No. Not really. They are a large corporation, that at times
    has done some bad things - but no worse then any other large
    corporation, for example IBM. But, having had contact with people on the
    inside of MS I know there is another side of MS that is not as you
    describe. That said, I definately do not agree with every press release or
    action made by Steve B. or MS - I just realize that they are a
    large corporation, with obligations to thousands of share holders and
    they are trying to find a place in the changing IT landscape.

    The fact is Homer, that I find the your opinion to be utterly
    devoid of rational thought. You and others like you completely
    exagerate the extent of Microsoft's "crimes". You act as if they are the
    worst evil ever - but they are no where close. Need I mention IBM again -
    the inventors of the term FUD?

    --
    Tom Shelton

  3. Re: Mono and RAND

    On Wed, 28 May 2008 18:12:09 -0500, Tom Shelton wrote:

    > The fact is Homer, that I find the your opinion to be utterly
    > devoid of rational thought. You and others like you completely
    > exagerate the extent of Microsoft's "crimes". You act as if they are the
    > worst evil ever - but they are no where close. Need I mention IBM again -
    > the inventors of the term FUD?

    Some of these Linux advocates are just plain loony.
    They sound paranoid along with a touch of delusional thrown in for good
    measure.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  4. Re: Mono and RAND

    Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:

    > The fact is Homer, that I find the your opinion to be utterly devoid
    > of rational thought. You and others like you completely exagerate
    > the extent of Microsoft's "crimes".

    Did you even read the vast litany of citations against Microsoft in the
    aforementioned links? This is what I mean when I talk of "blind spots".
    I find it utterly incredible that people can be so indifferent to this
    level of corruption. It's little wonder that W. Bush is still in office.

    These are not /my/ "thoughts", rational or otherwise, and they're not
    exaggerations either, they are simply details of Microsoft's morally
    corrupt behaviour.

    Or perhaps you think the "exaggeration" is in the description, rather
    than the facts being described. How would /you/ describe this, for example?:

    Letters purportedly written by at least two dead people landed on the
    desk of Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff earlier this year,
    imploring him to go easy on Microsoft for its conduct as a monopoly.

    The pleas, along with more than 100 others from Utah residents, are part
    of a carefully orchestrated nationwide campaign by the software giant
    that may be backfiring. Microsoft sought to create the impression of a
    surging grass-roots movement, aimed largely at the attorneys general of
    some of the 18 states that have joined the Justice Department in suing
    Microsoft.

    Minnesota Attorney General Mike Hatch said he got about 300 of those.
    "It's sleazy," Hatch said. "This is not a company that appears to be
    bothered by ethical boundaries."
    http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...lug=microlob23

    > You act as if they are the worst evil ever - but they are no where
    > close.

    On a scale of one to Guantanamo Bay, no they are not very high on the
    evolutionary chart of evil, but they are certainly the worst evil
    /currently/ facing Free Software and digital freedom in general, with
    goons like the RI/MPAA coming a close second. IT; Linux; Free Software
    and civil liberties (in the digital context) are my main fields of
    interest, so this is the context in which I judge Microsoft.

    > Need I mention IBM again - the inventors of the term FUD?

    I am also well aware of IBM's murky past, and no I have neither
    forgotten nor forgiven, but that particular threat has long gone, so it
    is currently irrelevant. This is not a pissing contest with "my evil's
    bigger than your evil", this is a very real threat to freedom that must
    be addressed.

    >> Does Microsoft's utter moral depravity mean /nothing/ to you?

    > Hmmm... No. Not really.

    I rest my case.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    01:27:32 up 159 days, 22:03, 5 users, load average: 2.23, 1.49, 0.72

  5. Re: Mono and RAND

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  6. Re: Mono and RAND

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  7. Re: Mono and RAND

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  8. Re: Mono and RAND

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  9. Re: Mono and RAND

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  10. Re: Mono and RAND

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  11. Re: Mono and RAND

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  12. Re: Mono and RAND

    Homer wrote:

    > Does Microsoft's utter moral depravity mean /nothing/ to you?

    Why do you even pretend, nutcase?

    It (meaning the silly 'MS is evil and depraved' fantasy you shout) clearly
    means NOTHING to you - or to the other cola idiots that claim MS is evil -
    except it lets you wackos release your anger by spewing a few hypocritical
    words on a backwoods newsgroup.

    Virtually all of this 'morality brigade' runs Windows, buys Windows
    software, and makes a living with MS products.

    It's OK, though, [H]ypocrite. We understand all you're really concerned
    about is the convenience of Windows, a few quality apps, and fun gaming.
    And we won't judge you for indulging in those experiences - as long as you
    admit it.

  13. Re: Mono and RAND

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 01:27:53 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:

    >>> Does Microsoft's utter moral depravity mean /nothing/ to you?

    >> Hmmm... No. Not really.

    > I rest my case.

    So this "Tom Shelton" admits he has no scruples & no ethics.
    Not the sort of person I'd have working in my company, unless I was M$ of
    course.

    --
    Mandriva 2008.1 64-bit.
    This message was sent from a

  14. Re: Mono and RAND

    William Poaster writes:

    > On Thu, 29 May 2008 01:27:53 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >
    >> Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:

    >>> Hmmm... No. Not really.

    >> I rest my case.

    > So this "Tom Shelton" admits he has no scruples & no ethics.
    > Not the sort of person I'd have working in my company, unless I was M$ of
    > course.

    Why on earth would Tom want to sit in a padded cell making finger
    painting with you?

  15. Re: Mono and RAND

    On 2008-05-29, Hadron wrote:
    > William Poaster writes:
    >
    >> On Thu, 29 May 2008 01:27:53 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:

    >>> I rest my case.

    >> So this "Tom Shelton" admits he has no scruples & no ethics.
    >> Not the sort of person I'd have working in my company, unless I was M$ of
    >> course.

    > Why on earth would Tom want to sit in a padded cell making finger
    > painting with you?

    That was not my point, though you can take it that way if you so desire.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  16. Re: Mono and RAND

    Tom Shelton writes:

    > On 2008-05-29, Hadron wrote:
    >> William Poaster writes:

    >>> So this "Tom Shelton" admits he has no scruples & no ethics.
    >>> Not the sort of person I'd have working in my company, unless I was M$ of
    >>> course.

    >> Why on earth would Tom want to sit in a padded cell making finger
    >> painting with you?

    > That was not my point, though you can take it that way if you so
    > desire.

    I was not responding to your point. I was responding to that idiot Willy
    Poaster - the singularly most boring person ever to access usenet.

  17. Re: Mono and RAND

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 14:16:38 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > William Poaster writes:
    >
    >> On Thu, 29 May 2008 01:27:53 +0100, Homer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:

    >>> I rest my case.

    >> So this "Tom Shelton" admits he has no scruples & no ethics.
    >> Not the sort of person I'd have working in my company, unless I was M$ of
    >> course.

    > Why on earth would Tom want to sit in a padded cell making finger
    > painting with you?

    Hahahaha!

    That's our Willy Poaster!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: Mono and RAND

    On 2008-05-29, Hadron wrote:
    > Tom Shelton writes:

    >>> Why on earth would Tom want to sit in a padded cell making finger
    >>> painting with you?

    >> That was not my point, though you can take it that way if you so
    >> desire.

    > I was not responding to your point. I was responding to that idiot Willy
    > Poaster - the singularly most boring person ever to access usenet.

    Sorry... I meant to respond to William as well - somehow, I responed to
    you.

    --
    Tom Shelton

  19. Re: Mono and RAND

    Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:
    > On 2008-05-29, Hadron wrote:
    >> William Poaster writes:

    >>> So this "Tom Shelton" admits he has no scruples & no ethics. Not
    >>> the sort of person I'd have working in my company, unless I was
    >>> M$ of course.

    >> Why on earth would Tom want to sit in a padded cell making finger
    >> painting with you?

    > That was not my point, though you can take it that way if you so
    > desire.

    Actually Willy misread me. I don't think you have /no/ ethics. You seem
    to be a measured and reasonable person but I do think you are apathetic,
    which is not atypical I'm sad to say. I, OTOH, am somewhat unreasonable,
    and often passionate to the point of melodrama.

    But I'm still right.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    17:35:31 up 160 days, 14:11, 5 users, load average: 0.26, 0.49, 0.83

  20. Re: Mono and RAND

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 17:36:31 +0100, Homer wrote:

    > Verily I say unto thee, that Tom Shelton spake thusly:

    >> That was not my point, though you can take it that way if you so desire.

    > Actually Willy misread me. I don't think you have /no/ ethics. You seem to
    > be a measured and reasonable person but I do think you are apathetic,
    > which is not atypical I'm sad to say. I, OTOH, am somewhat unreasonable,
    > and often passionate to the point of melodrama.

    Well perhaps I did read you wrong, & it's just his apathy.

    > But I'm still right.

    Yup.