[News] Windows Escapees: Linux Will Be [Desktop] King, Suitable for Human Beings - Linux

  1. [News] Windows Escapees: Linux Will Be [Desktop] King, Suitable for Human Beings

    Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I have been a windows user from the start and I have fond memories of 3.1 and
    | then 3.11 progressing through each new release until I find myself lumbered
    | with Vista on my desktop PC.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In the future I predict that Linux will be King, long live the King.
    `----

    http://designfrog.wordpress.com/2008/05/26/linux/

    With the exception of 'the desktop', Linux is doing great and it's already King
    in several areas.

    The Wanky World of Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Lie #1: Nothing runs on Linux.
    |
    | Answer #1: All the programs I need run on Linux. Ubuntu even has
    | a ‘Add/Remove’ option in the ‘Applications’ menu. This lists hundreds of
    | available programs you can download and install for Ubuntu. There is also
    | something called ‘Synaptic Package Manager’, where you can install thousands
    | of things. Anyways, the more people that use Linux, the more applications
    | will be available to Linux users.
    |
    | Lie #2: Linux is for gurus.
    |
    | Answer #2: Ubuntu is for human beings! I’m not a guru, and I always use
    | Linux.
    `----

    http://bobserge.wordpress.com/2008/0...ld-of-windows/

    Recent:

    Linux still top embedded OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In a new whitepaper on Linux in the embedded market, VDC researchers cite the
    | following reasons for Linux's popularity:
    |
    | * * * Licensing cost advantages
    | * * * Flexibility of source code access
    | * * * General familiarity
    | * * * Maturing ecosystem of applications and tools
    | * * * Growing developer experience with Linux as an embedded OS
    `----

    Related:

    Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
    | (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in 459
    | systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
    `----

    http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...upercomputers/
    http://tinyurl.com/2rponk

  2. Re: [News] Windows Escapees: Linux Will Be [Desktop] King, Suitablefor Human Beings

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | I have been a windows user from the start and I have fond memories of 3.1 and
    > | then 3.11 progressing through each new release until I find myself lumbered
    > | with Vista on my desktop PC.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | In the future I predict that Linux will be King, long live the King.
    > `----
    >
    > http://designfrog.wordpress.com/2008/05/26/linux/
    >
    > With the exception of 'the desktop', Linux is doing great and it's already King
    > in several areas.
    >
    > The Wanky World of Windows
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Lie #1: Nothing runs on Linux.
    > |
    > | Answer #1: All the programs I need run on Linux. Ubuntu even has
    > | a Add/Remove option in the Applications menu. This lists hundreds of
    > | available programs you can download and install for Ubuntu. There is also
    > | something called Synaptic Package Manager, where you can install thousands
    > | of things. Anyways, the more people that use Linux, the more applications
    > | will be available to Linux users.
    > |
    > | Lie #2: Linux is for gurus.
    > |
    > | Answer #2: Ubuntu is for human beings! Im not a guru, and I always use
    > | Linux.
    > `----
    >
    > http://bobserge.wordpress.com/2008/0...ld-of-windows/
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Linux still top embedded OS
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | In a new whitepaper on Linux in the embedded market, VDC researchers cite the
    > | following reasons for Linux's popularity:
    > |
    > | * Licensing cost advantages
    > | * Flexibility of source code access
    > | * General familiarity
    > | * Maturing ecosystem of applications and tools
    > | * Growing developer experience with Linux as an embedded OS
    > `----

    > Related:
    >
    > Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Other operating systems, such as AIX (4.8%), Solaris (0.4%) and Mac OS X
    > | (0.4%) make the list, but Linux is alone at the top, where it is used in 459
    > | systems or 91.8% of the top supercomputer systems.
    > `----
    >
    > http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...upercomputers/
    > http://tinyurl.com/2rponk

    Having kept up my goal of two Linux system conversions per week, since
    1997, I am aligned with a charitable group who distributed 1400
    computers in the last year, providing help for the underprivileged half
    of the "Digital Divide", elderly, disabled, and school aged children,
    who do NOT have a computer.

    I brought into this organization my favor towards fast loading Linux
    distributions, and we are in the midst of switching from 3 hour installs
    and paid licenses that is the Microsoft world, to 41 minute installs
    with 20,000+ Applications, Games, Accessories, and Suites!

    We received some donated Vista boxes, as Corporate donors are dumping
    that disaster, and switching to GNU/Linux, also, and we'll load Ubuntu
    8.04 on all of them, to take advantage of the huge number of unique OSS
    features!

    My $.02 is that folks who are so strident in support of one OS, ARE
    BLIND TO THE FACT THAT EVERY SOFTWARE PLATFORM DIES AFTER SOME 20
    YEARS! Microsoft has run it's course, and better options are already
    here. They admit as much in every SEC Quarterly report since 2000.

  3. Re: [News] Windows Escapees: Linux Will Be [Desktop] King, Suitable for Human Beings

    "AHappyCamper" <@thelandfill.com> wrote in message
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    > We received some donated Vista boxes, as Corporate donors are dumping
    > that disaster, and switching to GNU/Linux, also, and we'll load Ubuntu
    > 8.04 on all of them, to take advantage of the huge number of unique OSS
    > features!

    If you're going to make up lies then at least make them believable.

    --- "> We received some donated Vista boxes, as Corporate donors are dumping
    that disaster, and switching to GNU/Linux"

    So let's see if I have this right. A company (aka "corporate donor") bought
    a brand new computer with Vista. They didn't like Vista and want to run
    linux so they donate the entire computer to you. Then what... they go out
    and buy another computer so they can install linux?

    You linux trolls are absolutely the worst liars.

  4. Re: Windows Escapees: Linux Will Be [Desktop] King, Suitable forHuman Beings

    On Jun 17, 12:24 pm, AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:
> [...]

    > who do NOT have a computer.
    >
    > I brought into this organization my favor towards fast loading Linux
    > distributions, and we are in the midst of switching from 3 hour installs
    > and paid licenses that is the Microsoft world, to 41 minute installs
    > with 20,000+ Applications, Games, Accessories, and Suites!
    >
    > We received some donated Vista boxes, as Corporate donors are dumping
    > that disaster, and switching to GNU/Linux, also, and we'll load Ubuntu
    > 8.04 on all of them, to take advantage of the huge number of unique OSS
    > features!
    >
    > My $.02 is that folks who are so strident in support of one OS, ARE
    > BLIND TO THE FACT THAT EVERY SOFTWARE PLATFORM DIES AFTER SOME 20
    > YEARS! Microsoft has run it's course, and better options are already
    > here. They admit as much in every SEC Quarterly report since 2000.

    Can you say where you work? What distro do you use? Do you have a
    web site?
    Thanks...

  5. Re: Windows Escapees: Linux Will Be [Desktop] King, Suitable for Human Beings

    Of course not because this is all 100% bull****.

    > What distro do you use?

    What part of "we'll load Ubuntu 8.04 on all of them" did you have a problem
    understanding?

    > Do you have a web site?

    Time for the phoney to run away and hide.

    > Thanks...

  6. Re: [News] Windows Escapees: Linux Will Be [Desktop] King, Suitablefor Human Beings

    AHappyCamper wrote:

    "Also, GNU/Linux is up to 50X faster in all processes as proven in more
    than 30 published shoot-outs and benchmark test comparisons by print
    media and ezines. Linux offers a dozen or more desktop environments
    with upto 20 paged desktops, each able to run up to 200 open
    applications, windows, for a total of 4,000."

    DFS asked to see a link to one benchmark and you ran away. Why is that
    Patrick?

    > Having kept up my goal of two Linux system conversions per week, since
    > 1997, I

    Sure you have.

    > I brought into this organization my favor towards fast loading Linux
    > distributions, and we are in the midst of switching from 3 hour installs
    > and paid licenses that is the Microsoft world, to 41 minute installs
    > with 20,000+ Applications, Games, Accessories, and Suites!

    What kind of idiot requires three hours to install Windows?

+ Reply to Thread