Windows vs. Linux: Understanding the Difficulty Divide

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the years, I’ve developed a generalized theory about the relative cost
| of getting things done in Windows versus that of Linux, and as something of a
| corollary, the reason a lot of people say Linux is too hard, or “not ready
| for the desktop.”
|
| [...]
|
| Of course, this graph has no actual numbers to back it up. It is just a
| visualization to help explain a concept that I’ve seen illustrated many times
| over. The X-axis represents the complexity of the task at hand. It could be
| setting up networking, viewing an image, making a movie, building and running
| a website, automating some complex database migration; really any task that
| might be done with a computer, large or small. The Y-axis then represents the
| relative cost of completing that task. I mean “cost” here very generally. The
| cost could be your own personal time, the cost of a license for a piece of
| software, the cost of training, or the cost of hiring a developer to write a
| program to do what you need.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2008/05/26...iculty-divide/

Related:

When will we hear the end of computer quacks?

,----[ Quote ]
| So why beat the dead skunk again? Check it out: Don Norman discovered
| command line interfaces! And he's about to take his discovery to the
| press! Yes, he thinks this is an original discovery all his own.
|
| [...]
|
| I can't wait until Microsoft invents apt-get so he can fawn over it next...
`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index....&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

10 Reasons Why the Command Line is More User-Friendly than the Desktop

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index....&c=1&tb=1&pb=1